ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

janieju
Newly Registered
England

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by janieju » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:43 pm

Hello All,

Did anyone have success in receiving confirmation of their application without sending off marriage certificates? (Where no name changes have happened.)
I've seen various replies on this topic, but no confirmation of whether these documents were subsequently requested.

Also, where you talk about tracking applications, how do you do that?

Janie

SeanM
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by SeanM » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:50 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:16 pm
If passport is valid when you set the application, it should be fine.

I don't think Irish citizenship would have any effect on Master's (assuming she's got British nationality), by the way.
Many thanks for the information I did hope it being valid at the time would be good enough if only for 5 months more.

My daughter does have British citizenship so with this application will have dual nationaluty and then if she chooses to work and/or live there after she has that right in Ireland or elsewhere in Europe.

danielg003
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by danielg003 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:47 am

Got my address confirmation today and am super happy about it. I added myself onto the spreadsheet and I believe I did it correctly but I'm not sure if it automatically sorts them or something so I just put my data in the bottom.

application date: 10-oc-2022
docs received: 28-oct-2022
address confirmation: 24-Aug-2023

kiladre-sw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by kiladre-sw » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:23 am

kiladre-sw wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:09 am
Mr_Knight wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:42 pm
kiladre-sw wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:24 pm
What I did not include is updated ID for mother as that is not something I can obtain anymore. As I mentioned both in the documentation I sent and in the post I have gone no contact with my mother. Recently I even had a C&D delivered on my behalf.
I still just have fingers crossed that my application will be processed as I have seen other posts about individuals getting their applications approved even when being estranged from the parent or grandparent they are filing under. The lack of communication is disheartening though.
They will require you to send them an "Affidavit of parental estrangement" in place of ID. Signed/witnessed by a Notary or solicitor.
I have seen that mentioned before. If that is what they require I will happily try to obtain that document for them, but until they send me further correspondence I'm just in limbo waiting.
Just an update:
Received correspondence 25-08-2023 (7 months after they received updated documents last sent)
FBR is requesting updated notarized copy of Mother's photo id(drivers license). As the license itself was expired at the time of the original application however the notarization was made 6 days prior to the license becoming expired. So, the notarized copy was less than 6 months old at the time of FBR application. It seems that the person reaching out to me did not read the additional documentation that I had sent in back in January, as they did not address the "no contact"/estrangement part. I sent a reply message moments ago reiterating that I can not obtain an updated form of the document. Fingers crossed they reply to me in a timely manner and give me further guidance on options/documents that can further my application that do not require interaction with my Mother as that is not possible.

laurab97
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by laurab97 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:27 pm

Hi all!

Nine days ago, I sent both applications of myself and sibling (in one envelope) 1st Class tracked from London to the Embassy in Ireland (to the address printed on the FB1A form, no post code).

HOWEVER, I received a notification that it's been returned back to us, as it "failed customs" & the "export is cancelled" ?!

Have I done something wrong? I told the lady at the Post Office that the envelope contains certificates etc. and was just given a 1st class tracked label - nothing to declare. I am in my early 20s so I may been inexperienced, but nevertheless I can't figure out what I did wrong.

Royal Mail would also not let me pay for a prepaid return envelope, as it would be sent back via an international courier, from another country. As I understood we had to pay for a returns label, is this not the case? Or does the Embassy send back docs on their dime?

Thank you to anyone who can clear this up for me. It has already been such an ordeal to get my documents, I feel defeated that they've been rejected before they even get to DFB :(

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:42 pm

As they’ve mentioned Customs I wonder if it needed a Taric - even though it only contained documents. The EU has introduced a requirement for these codes for goods coming into it out of the EU, even even no tax is payable. There has been a lot of chatter recently about post (even just letters in large parcels) being rejected because there was no Taric. I haven’t used it as haven’t posted outside of EU recently

https://www.anpost.com/Commerce/SME/Int ... odity-code

Widdle
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Widdle » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:33 pm

laurab97 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:27 pm
Hi all!

Nine days ago, I sent both applications of myself and sibling (in one envelope) 1st Class tracked from London to the Embassy in Ireland (to the address printed on the FB1A form, no post code).

HOWEVER, I received a notification that it's been returned back to us, as it "failed customs" & the "export is cancelled" ?!

Have I done something wrong? I told the lady at the Post Office that the envelope contains certificates etc. and was just given a 1st class tracked label - nothing to declare. I am in my early 20s so I may been inexperienced, but nevertheless I can't figure out what I did wrong.

Royal Mail would also not let me pay for a prepaid return envelope, as it would be sent back via an international courier, from another country. As I understood we had to pay for a returns label, is this not the case? Or does the Embassy send back docs on their dime?

Thank you to anyone who can clear this up for me. It has already been such an ordeal to get my documents, I feel defeated that they've been rejected before they even get to DFB :(
Hi, I sent off the FBR forms for my children last week and got confirmation back from FBR that they’d received the forms within three days. Process I followed was to send via Royal Mail ‘International Tracked’ with a CN22 Customs sticker attached to the front of the envelope.

On the CN22 form I ticked the ‘Documents’ box and in ’Description’ put Foreign Birth Register application documents. Value I put as £1 as it wouldn’t accept zero value.

I also put the application reference numbers on the top left of the envelope (A4 size) and my address on the back.

Hope that helps!

mattydc
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by mattydc » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:11 pm

laurab97 wrote:
Hi all!

Silly post office! When its going abroad you have to put a customs sticker on it they should have told you that. Tick documents, write NIL as the value and post them off again. You don't need to send anything for return they pay for that envelope and courier out of the hefty fee :)

morgendorffer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by morgendorffer » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:49 am

morgendorffer wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:05 am
morgendorffer wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:11 pm
morgendorffer wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:09 pm
Hello.

I just joined to add my name to the list of people waiting the long wait.
I've been reading the updates on here for ages now.

I procrastinated and procrastinated with getting all the documents required for my application. I had started before COVID, but didn't submit my online application until January 2022 and didn't send off the documents until March 2022.

I'm a bit nervous about an elongated wait as I wasn't able to get hold of a photocopy of my mum's passport due to estrangement from that whole side of the family. Way back when I first started looking into doing this I called up asking if this would be a problem and was advised to submit an application with a simple covering letter explaining the circumstances. There seems to be conflicting opinions on whether that will be actually acceptable or not on here, but that's what I did anyway.

I'm eligible through both my grandparents on my mother's side. My grandad passed away before I was born, included all the necessary documents for him. My grandma is in the care of my mum, so was not able to get a copy of her passport (which is likely expired), but submitted the rest of her documents anyway as 'extra support' - not sure if that will help or not.

I guess I'll be hearing in March 2024 sometime. Sigh.

Online Application: January 17, 2022
Documents Received: March 21, 2022
Address Confirmation: ***
Congratulations Email: ***
FBR cert received: ***
So, seeing all the updates for applications received in April/May/June made me a little impatient so I decided to email the urgent enquiries inbox to see where they were with my application... just to see if I would get a reply with an update.
A lady called me today saying they've been trying to contact me via phone/email. No missed calls, no email. Hmm. She was pretty adamant.

Anyways, they weren't happy with my own letter to say I couldn't get hold of my mum's photo ID so they want me to organise an affidavit which I'm happy to do.

Progress at least for now.
Finally got an update... address confirmation email received today.
My affidavit was received at the end of March so it has been a bit of a wait.

Additional Document Received: March 23, 2023
Address Confirmation: 14 August, 2023
FINALLY!!

Congratulations Email: 28 August, 2023

laurab97
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by laurab97 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:24 pm

Widdle wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:33 pm
laurab97 wrote:
Hi all!

Hi, I sent off the FBR forms for my children last week and got confirmation back from FBR that they’d received the forms within three days. Process I followed was to send via Royal Mail ‘International Tracked’ with a CN22 Customs sticker attached to the front of the envelope.

On the CN22 form I ticked the ‘Documents’ box and in ’Description’ put Foreign Birth Register application documents. Value I put as £1 as it wouldn’t accept zero value.

I also put the application reference numbers on the top left of the envelope (A4 size) and my address on the back.

Hope that helps!
Thank you to everyone who responded, in clear and informative detail! I very much appreciate it.

I shall go back to the same Post Office and explain I need a CN22 Customs sticker. Will also kindly notify the manager to hopefully prevent the same mistake happening again with someone else's important docs.

Oh well ! Will give these certificates another holiday, but with the proper postage labels this time around.

Good luck with your applications! :)

AussieBiscuithead
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by AussieBiscuithead » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:24 am

morgendorffer wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:49 am
morgendorffer wrote:
morgendorffer wrote:
morgendorffer wrote:
Hello.

I procrastinated and procrastinated with getting all the documents required for my application. I had started before COVID, but didn't submit my online application until January 2022 and didn't send off the documents until March 2022.

I'm a bit nervous about an elongated wait as I wasn't able to get hold of a photocopy of my mum's passport due to estrangement from that whole side of the family. Way back when I first started looking into doing this I called up asking if this would be a problem and was advised to submit an application with a simple covering letter explaining the circumstances. There seems to be conflicting opinions on whether that will be actually acceptable or not on here, but that's what I did anyway.

I'm eligible through both my grandparents on my mother's side. My grandad passed away before I was born, included all the necessary documents for him. My grandma is in the care of my mum, so was not able to get a copy of her passport (which is likely expired), but submitted the rest of her documents anyway as 'extra support' - not sure if that will help or not.

So, seeing all the updates for applications received in April/May/June made me a little impatient so I decided to email the urgent enquiries inbox to see where they were with my application... just to see if I would get a reply with an update.
A lady called me today saying they've been trying to contact me via phone/email. No missed calls, no email. Hmm. She was pretty adamant.

Anyways, they weren't happy with my own letter to say I couldn't get hold of my mum's photo ID so they want me to organise an affidavit which I'm happy to do.

FINALLY!!

Congrats! I'm getting excited every time i check my personal email, hoping to see Address Confirmation. I have annoying Irish mate who keeps taking the piss out of me by asking if I'm Irish yet. lol.

Best,
AussieBiscuit

kiladre-sw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by kiladre-sw » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:04 am

kiladre-sw wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:23 am
kiladre-sw wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:09 am
Mr_Knight wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:42 pm
kiladre-sw wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:24 pm
What I did not include is updated ID for mother as that is not something I can obtain anymore. As I mentioned both in the documentation I sent and in the post I have gone no contact with my mother. Recently I even had a C&D delivered on my behalf.
I still just have fingers crossed that my application will be processed as I have seen other posts about individuals getting their applications approved even when being estranged from the parent or grandparent they are filing under. The lack of communication is disheartening though.
They will require you to send them an "Affidavit of parental estrangement" in place of ID. Signed/witnessed by a Notary or solicitor.
I have seen that mentioned before. If that is what they require I will happily try to obtain that document for them, but until they send me further correspondence I'm just in limbo waiting.
Just an update:
Received correspondence 25-08-2023 (7 months after they received updated documents last sent)
FBR is requesting updated notarized copy of Mother's photo id(drivers license). As the license itself was expired at the time of the original application however the notarization was made 6 days prior to the license becoming expired. So, the notarized copy was less than 6 months old at the time of FBR application. It seems that the person reaching out to me did not read the additional documentation that I had sent in back in January, as they did not address the "no contact"/estrangement part. I sent a reply message moments ago reiterating that I can not obtain an updated form of the document. Fingers crossed they reply to me in a timely manner and give me further guidance on options/documents that can further my application that do not require interaction with my Mother as that is not possible.
Additional Update:
Received correspondence replying to email I sent Saturday(26-08-2023). Today(28-08-2023) after further review of my documentation the FBR reviewers decided that they will indeed accept the notarized copy of my Mother's license that I sent with the original documentation given my specific situation.

The email doubled as the address confirmation email, so fingers crossed there are no other hangups with my application and I hear back soon to hopefully good news! Might manage to actually get this done within 3 years.

Excited to finally get some good feedback.

deeeee
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by deeeee » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:15 pm

Hello all
Long time lurker here - UK citizen, South African born - applying through maternal grandparent born in Ireland. I have been eagerly awaiting my address confirmation email as the dates of other applicants were similar to mine but unfortunately today I got the dreaded email requesting further documents. Apparently the original birth certificate I had was not official enough and they now request a Computer generated version. I am not sure if I missed that information on the website but thought I should post here so that if anybody else was thinking of submitting their hand-written birth certificate from South Africa to be warned.
I am dealing with your application to obtain Irish Citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register. Unfortunately I cannot proceed with your application without the following documents:
For yourself, please submit:
A Computerised version of your birth certificate from the Department of Home Affairs is required to proceed with your application.
Please return the document(s) to the address below, clearly marking it with your name and application number.
When the documents are received and your application is reviewed, you may be contacted again for further clarification or documents if required.

deeeee
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by deeeee » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:22 pm

Previous post continued - I almost forgot the important information...

Application Dates:
Application submitted: 14 - 09 - 2022
Documents received: 17 - 10 - 2022
Additional document request: 29 - 08 - 2023

Now I have a 20-30 week wait for the birth certificate from SA Home Affairs, although I am thinking longer as it took my wife over a year for hers, and then the estimated 5 months backlog timeline for FBR. So I will probably update next in 2024/2025

Cheers for now

Robbiekeane
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Robbiekeane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:13 pm

Hi all - sorry to bump this again but hoping someone can help/give some advice.

I’m hoping to get a letter headed confirmation of qualification in the next week but I’m 50/50 if this will come through.

If I don’t and I get the documents notarised by someone else, do I go to the bottom of the pile? It’s now been a year.

Robbiekeane
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Robbiekeane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:14 pm

Robbiekeane wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:11 pm
Hi all. Big thanks to everyone who has posted I’m a long time lurker.

I applied last September and just got a clarification email from the embassy saying they need evidence of accountancy qualification from the person who certified/notarised/witnesses my scan of my passport and my fathers passport and my photos.

The problem is, this person is being very unresponsive (he no longer works at the same place as me) and when he has responded it’s been very vague and I have a bad feeling he’s no longer a CPA member or something. I’m concerned I’m not going to get the evidence required (although haven’t written it off completely yet).

Does anyone know what the timing impact would be if I just got new copies and photos certified and sent them off? Could I scan these and send them via email (the person asking for the evidence of qualification asked me to scan the evidence and send it through to an email address), or would I have to send hard copies and likely set the clock back months?

Can’t believe this is the piece where I’ve come unstuck…absolutely gutted
Hi all - sorry to bump this again but hoping someone can help/give some advice.

I’m hoping to get a letter headed confirmation of qualification in the next week but I’m 50/50 if this will come through.

If I don’t and I get the documents notarised by someone else, do I go to the bottom of the pile? It’s now been a year.

USIrish
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by USIrish » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:03 pm

Hi All..
First post on this journey. It’s been helpful to see everyone’s progress, I hope my updates will do the same.

Application submitted: 01/08/2023
Documents received: 28/08/2023

Cheers

timfountain
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by timfountain » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:57 pm

So I applied in April 2022, got confirmation of receipt of documents ~10 days later. I heard nothing until March this year, when I got a request to send a notarized copy of my mothers birth certificate. Which I did and that was received 21 days later... actually it was received 4 days laters, but the processing office took another 2 weeks to open and acknowledge receipt. I've heard nothing since March this year, which is frustrating.

What is really frustrating is that I know my original submission of all my documents was 100% correct, I have scanned copies of every single one that I submitted. It was certified and stamped in exactly the same way as every other documents so I know the original was already notarized.

For those of us who subscribe to conspiracy theories, it really does seem as if the processing of FBR's includes a certain number of "requests for more information" automatically, as this then puts you to the back of the queue and undoubtedly doesn't count as any kind of delay on their part since now the onus is on you.

My case is straightforward, grandfather-father-son (me) with no name changes, no estrangement, no missing documents or other complications. I had birth, marriage and death certs for all the relevant people... This really is unacceptable, and these kinds of games need to stop. I am also waiting on a job move based on having EU citizenship, so this is causing real hardship.

//Rant off//

heehaahiihuu
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by heehaahiihuu » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:01 am

timfountain wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:57 pm
So I applied in April 2022, got confirmation of receipt of documents ~10 days later. I heard nothing until March this year, when I got a request to send a notarized copy of my mothers birth certificate. Which I did and that was received 21 days later... actually it was received 4 days laters, but the processing office took another 2 weeks to open and acknowledge receipt. I've heard nothing since March this year, which is frustrating.

What is really frustrating is that I know my original submission of all my documents was 100% correct, I have scanned copies of every single one that I submitted. It was certified and stamped in exactly the same way as every other documents so I know the original was already notarized.

For those of us who subscribe to conspiracy theories, it really does seem as if the processing of FBR's includes a certain number of "requests for more information" automatically, as this then puts you to the back of the queue and undoubtedly doesn't count as any kind of delay on their part since now the onus is on you.

My case is straightforward, grandfather-father-son (me) with no name changes, no estrangement, no missing documents or other complications. I had birth, marriage and death certs for all the relevant people... This really is unacceptable, and these kinds of games need to stop. I am also waiting on a job move based on having EU citizenship, so this is causing real hardship.

//Rant off//
I completely agree. I'm beyond fed up. I applied in dec 2020, docs sent in jul 2021 (because of covid), then had to send further documents in mar 2023 and still I'm waiting. Likewise I have no idea why I needed to send further documents as I too have a very simple case. Both my mother's parents were born and raised in Ireland, and so my mother applied and got an Irish passport a few years ago. There is no doubt that I am entitled to Irish citizenship yet for some reason they're wasting time asking me to send my mother's marriage certificate despite her name never changing. I have had to come home from a job abroad, missed further work opportunities, and now I have been forced into a long distance relationship with my partner all because of this. I just can't wait for this to be over.

To brighten the mood I'll say that I got my passport photo taken yesterday so I could be prepared for when the day comes that I get my certificate but, turns out my neutral face is a scowling face. The photographer asked if I wanted to retake it but I figured it was better like this since it reflected the journey to get it hahah

ShortFuse
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ShortFuse » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:53 pm

Application submitted online.. 10 July 2022
Application received email.. 26 July 2022
Additional documents requested.. 13 April 2023
Documents received on my tracking.. 25 April 2023
Additional documents requested.. 01 Sept 2023

I sent all additional documents that were requested, I received an email today asking for another document that wasn't mentioned previously.
Looks like its going to be a two year journey for me unfortunately!

morgendorffer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by morgendorffer » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:32 pm

morgendorffer wrote:
morgendorffer wrote:
morgendorffer wrote:
morgendorffer wrote:
Hello.

FINALLY!!

FBR cert received: 4 September, 2023

Woop.
Onto getting an Irish passport. :arrow:

Camac11
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Camac11 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:29 pm

Does anyone know if I can move to Ireland once I have my FBR certificate (I’m a US citizen) or will I need to get my Irish passport first? It’s a long story but I’m on a bit of a time crunch and am wondering if I’m able to move there first and then apply for the Irish passport from within Ireland.

ESCJack
Newly Registered
Malta

Post by ESCJack » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:21 am

Hi everyone :)

Out of curiosity does anyone know if first-time passport applications are taking longer than the 'estimated' 20 working days? :| :|

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:42 am

ESCJack wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:21 am
Hi everyone :)

Out of curiosity does anyone know if first-time passport applications are taking longer than the 'estimated' 20 working days? :| :|
They may or may not - it's all individual. See ireland/passport-application-discussion ... 3-550.html for timelines.
Camac11 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:29 pm
Does anyone know if I can move to Ireland once I have my FBR certificate (I’m a US citizen) or will I need to get my Irish passport first? It’s a long story but I’m on a bit of a time crunch and am wondering if I’m able to move there first and then apply for the Irish passport from within Ireland.
Technically, you can, as your FBR certificate is what confers your right to be an Irish citizen. But there will be a lot of issues and caveats.

I don't know how long they may hold you at border control when you'll explain things to them; also, you might have issues getting employment/etc since usually folks are expected to see Irish passport as proof of identity and right to stay here in this case (and US passport gives no right to work).
Another point is that you have to show proof of address for your Irish place of residence in the form of government correspondence or a gas/electricity/other utility bill and it won't be easy to even find a flat initially.

All in all, technically possible, but very much not recommended.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

AussieBiscuithead
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by AussieBiscuithead » Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:53 pm

AussieBiscuithead wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:24 am
morgendorffer wrote:
morgendorffer wrote:
morgendorffer wrote:
morgendorffer wrote:
Hello.

FINALLY!!

Congrats! I'm getting excited every time i check my personal email, hoping to see Address Confirmation. I have annoying Irish mate who keeps taking the piss out of me by asking if I'm Irish yet. lol.

Best,
AussieBiscuit
Finally! I got my address confirmation email!