ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IlR or British citizenship

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

oddone
Newly Registered

IlR or British citizenship

Post by oddone » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:38 pm

Hi, My wife is British citizen. My spouse visa is due for renewal for second time. I have been in uk already for more than 5 years.

Can I apply for British citizen straight away instead of applying for ILR after 5 years spouse visa?

I am very confused. Please advise

meself2
Ireland

Re: IlR or British citizenship

Post by meself2 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:42 pm

No.
To be naturalized, you first have to apply (and be granted) ILR; you can apply for naturalization straight after ILR as a spouse of BC.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:44 pm

No. You need to apply for ILR in order to apply for British citizenship.

Once you get ILR, you can apply immediately for British citizenship provided you meet the requirements for naturalisation.

Be aware that naturalisation is a separate process, with different requirements and under different laws and rules from ILR. Don't mix up the two.

EDIT: Overtaken by meself2
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

oddone
Newly Registered

Post by oddone » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:59 pm

Thanks guys for clarifying.

oddone
Newly Registered

No UKVi confirmation email received after biometric

Post by oddone » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:50 am

Hi,

I did my biometric 2 weeks ago via UKVAS, and received email from them saying your supporting documents have been submitted to UKVI. The UKVAS account says the same when I log in to ym account.

But I have not received any email from UKVI confirming my application has been received. The last email I received was the email for payment received. When I log into my ukvi account it takes me to further action page 7. Still showing I need to book appointment, but when I do click on the book appointment, it takes me to my UKCAS account where it says my document is already submitted. So I am very confused.

My friend who did similar application had email from ukvi confirming application has been received day after biometric.

Should I be worried? Could you guys please share your experience?

Thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: No UKVi confirmation email received after biometric

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:13 am

oddone wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:50 am
Hi,

I did my biometric 2 weeks ago via UKVAS, and received email from them saying your supporting documents have been submitted to UKVI. The UKVAS account says the same when I log in to ym account.

But I have not received any email from UKVI confirming my application has been received. The last email I received was the email for payment received. When I log into my ukvi account it takes me to further action page 7. Still showing I need to book appointment, but when I do click on the book appointment, it takes me to my UKCAS account where it says my document is already submitted. So I am very confused.

My friend who did similar application had email from ukvi confirming application has been received day after biometric.

Should I be worried? No Could you guys please share your experience?

Thanks
Not everyone receives updates on application via email and it is nothing to worry about. UKVCAS already updated your attending appointment.
Look forward to be contacted when decision is made and that's what's of more importance.