ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Report from the EC on the application of Directive 2004/38

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Richard66

Report from the EC on the application of Directive 2004/38

Post by Richard66 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:44 pm

COMMISSION OF THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES
Brussels, COM(2008) 840/3

REPORT FROM THE COMMISSION TO THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND THE COUNCIL
on the application of Directive 2004/38/EC on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States

(Text with EEA relevance)

1. INTRODUCTION

The purpose of this Report is to present a comprehensive overview of how Directive 2004/38/EC1 is transposed into national law and how it is applied in everyday life. With this report, the Commission is discharging its obligation under Article 39(1) of the Directive to draw up a report on the application of the Directive and to submit it to the European Parliament and the Council2.
The Commission will keep this matter under constant review and will issue further reports and guidelines in due course.
Free movement of persons constitutes one of the fundamental freedoms of the internal market, to the benefit of EU citizens, of the Member States and of the competitiveness of European economy. It is one of the rights mentioned in the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union (Article 45). In the first days of the European project, only workers benefited from free movement (Article 39 of the EC Treaty). Over time, this right was extended to all EU citizens. Citizenship of the Union confers on every EU citizen a primary and individual right to move and reside freely on the territory of the Union, subject to the limitations and conditions laid down in the Treaty and to the measures adopted to give it effect (Article 18 of the EC Treaty). Such limitations and conditions are to be found in Directive 2004/38/EC. The Directive codified the existing legislation and case-law in the area of free movement, and simplified it in the interest of reader-friendliness and clarity.
Citizens from Member States that joined the EU recently enjoy unrestricted right of free movement. Transitional arrangements apply only to access to labour markets.
The Directive is fundamental not only for more than 8 million3 EU citizens who reside in another Member State and their family members, but also for the millions of EU citizens travelling every year inside the EU.
The significance of the right of free movement is underlined by the expectations of EU citizens. A recent survey4 has shown that 88% of respondents know of this right5, an increase of 4% since the last such survey in 2002.
This Report has been drawn up on the basis of many sources, including a study6 analysing the conformity of national provisions with the Directive, a questionnaire on practical implementation of the Directive answered by the Member States, the Commission’s own investigations, individual complaints, co-operation with the European Parliament, Parliamentary resolutions, questions and petitions and discussions with Member States on practical issues arising from application of the Directive.

2. MONITORING OF TRANSPOSITION OF THE DIRECTIVE

As stipulated in Article 40(1) of the Directive, Member States had to bring into force the laws, regulations and administrative provisions necessary to comply with the Directive by 30 April 2006.
The Commission organised two meetings with Member States to answer questions concerning the interpretation of the Directive in June 2005 and January 2006.
Communication by Member States of national implementing measures was incomplete and late in a large number of cases. Between June 2006 and February 2007 the Commission initiated infringement proceedings under Article 226 of the EC Treaty against 19 Member States7 for their failure to communicate the text of the provisions of national law adopted to transpose the Directive. Since then, as all Member States have gradually adopted the transposition measures, the infringement proceedings for non-communication have been closed.
The Directive has been already incorporated8 into the EEA Agreement but it is not applicable yet in the non-EU EEA countries, as the fulfilment of the national constitutional requirements is still pending in Norway.

3. COMPLIANCE OF THE TRANSPOSITION MEASURES

The overall transposition of Directive 2004/38/EC is rather disappointing. Not one Member State has transposed the Directive effectively and correctly in its entirety. Not one Article of the Directive has been transposed effectively and correctly by all Member States.
On the other hand, Member States in some areas adopted transposition measures that are more favourable to EU citizens and their family members than required by the Directive itself9.
Although in Cyprus, Greece, Finland, Luxembourg, Malta, Portugal and Spain the problems of compliance are linked only to some provisions of the Directive, considerable parts and crucial provisions of the Directive have been incorrectly transposed in most Member States.
This part of the Report sets out issues of compliance following the structure of the Directive.

3.1. Family members

Generally speaking, the transposition of the definition of family members under Article 2(2) is satisfactory.
Transposition with regard to the rights of other family members under Article 3(2) is less satisfactory. Thirteen 10 Member States [IT included] have failed to transpose Article 3(2) correctly. On the other hand, ten Member States11 transposed it in a more favourable way by extending the automatic right to reside with the EU citizen also to this category of family members.
Same-sex couples enjoy full rights of free movement and residence in thirteen Member States12 [IT included in the footnotes… !?!?, not in fact] which consider registered partners as family members.
Following a judgment of the Court of Justice on 23 September 200313, Denmark, Ireland, Finland and the UK made the right of residence of third country family members conditional upon their prior lawful residence in another Member State. Seven Member States14 adopted the same interpretation through administrative guidelines.
The application of this additional requirement, not provided for in the Directive, resulted in a high number of complaints.
On 25 July 2008 in case C-127/08 Metock, the Court of Justice ruled that the requirement of lawful prior residence is contrary to the Directive. It is important to underline that, according to the referring national court, none of the marriages in the Metock case was a marriage of convenience. The Court of Justice recalled that the Directive does not prevent Member States from fighting against abuse of Community rights, including marriages of convenience, as stipulated in Article 35.
This judgment caused considerable controversy in some Member States, notably in Denmark, where it was suggested that a loophole in immigration law had been created that could make it easier for third country nationals to “regulariseâ€
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: Report from the EC on the application of Directive 2004/

Post by 86ti » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:46 pm

Thanks Richard for the text but can you also provide us with the link to the source?
Richard66 wrote:3.2. Right of entry

The transposition of Article 5(2) is often incorrect and/or incomplete, and the legislative shortcomings result in frequent violations of the rights of family members, notably those who are third country nationals.
Only seven Member States15 [IT non included in the footnotes… ? have introduced specific facilities for family members to acquire an entry visa in their legislation. Bulgaria and Germany seem to ensure the facilitation in practice. Five Member States16 do not provide for the visa exemption for family members holding a residence card issued by another Member State.
I think what they mean here is that this Article hasn't been transposed explictly in some countries. At least that would match with AT: MFA says yes but not transposed into law.

What does the Italian transposition say here?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:07 pm

Point 3.7 wrote:Belgium and the UK incorrectly take no account of periods of residence acquired by EU citizens before their countries acceded to the EU.
How is that incorrect? Why should residence prior to exercising treaty rights/accession be counted when they are not yet EU citizens? I haven't seen that written anywhere as a 'requirement' in the Directive, either...?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Point 3.3 wrote:Only Denmark, Finland, Malta and Sweden correctly provide for a more favourable treatment of jobseekers without formalities in relation to the right of residence under Article 6 in the light of Recital 9.
Interesting! The Finnish embassy told me that I would need a job there first if I wanted my wife to come with me but without a visa. (Contaced solvit.fi on Nov 16 and reminded them today to respond.)

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:01 pm

86ti, I actually took it from here:

http://www.tuttostranieri.it/forum/topi ... 54&#244075

No merit of mine, really. :oops:

The Italian transposition of article 5 says:

The non-EU family member must be in possession of a valid passport (no ID)

They speak of the Residence card for family members as a substitute for a visa. It is not clear: is it a card issued by any member state or only the Italian one?

Visas for non-EU family members are always issued free of charge an as soon as possible.

No stamp is placed on the passport of the non-EU family member that is in possession of the residence card.

In case the EU citizen or the family member are not in possession of the correct documentation they have 24 hours to produce them or to prove by any other legal means provided for by national (Italian) legislation. So, not any marriage certificate, but only a marriage certificate validated for Italy.

There is no model for the residence card in Italy. Each police station issues the document which pleases them most, so two family members might end up having a different type of residence card with different validities.

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:03 pm

States [note 16] do not provide for the visa exemption for family members holding a residence card issued by another Member State.

16 AT, DK, ES, IE and the UK.
Will the UK see the light?

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:04 pm

Thank you Richard,

Yes "86ti"
I believe the European commission is aware of the fact that some EU country did not implement the Directive properly while some don't even implement it at all.

Finland, Germany, Hungary, Sweden, Romania and some others don't require visa from family members (job or no job). Some even make a different interpretation in issuing residence permits.

We shall see when the full report and clear correction of the Directive 2004/38/EC comes out next year and who will implement or won't implement (example UK).

Will the UK see the light? .........There will be serious effect if they don't according to the EC due to the reports of UK trying to change the Directive 2004/38/EC Instead of implementing the decision and law of the EC.
Charles4u

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:33 am

86ti wrote:Thanks Richard for the text but can you also provide us with the link to the source?
Found it here (oddly enough):
http://www.europa-kommissionen.dk/uploa ... 7b/uuu.pdf

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:52 am

benifa wrote:
86ti wrote:Thanks Richard for the text but can you also provide us with the link to the source?
Found it here (oddly enough):
http://www.europa-kommissionen.dk/uploa ... 7b/uuu.pdf
I am not much into this kind of lingo but just for this time ... *LOL*, *ROFL*

Thank you for the link, BTW.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:56 am

Weird, isn't it? Surely it must be hosted somewhere other than europa-kommissionen.dk. And another thing, why would the Danes call it "uuu.pdf"?! Anyone know what uuu is?

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:48 am

Interesting post Richard as usual....I did not see Italy in there anywhere???

I know you had an easy time in Italy getting your wifes RC, but you are one of the lucky ones???? I literally know hundreds of couples who have been waiting 2 years or more????? I have met these people at the Questura!!! Which is the immigration offices in Italy....were they seem to have never heard of the Directive!!!

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:50 am

I would have thought the Danes to be the last ones to want to see this report, let alone circulate it.

Sze
Newly Registered

Hungary

Post by Sze » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:11 pm

3.7. Right of permanent residence

In addition to a number of minor problems with transposition of the right of permanent residence under Article 16, the most serious problems relate to acquisition of the right of permanent residence after five years of continuous residence. Hungary makes this right incorrectly conditional upon conditions related to the right of residence. Belgium and the UK incorrectly take no account of periods of residence acquired by EU citizens before their countries acceded to the EU.
A large number of Member States26 had problems with the transposition of Article 17, which provides for more favourable rules for acquiring the right of permanent residence for persons that are no longer working.
What does the section about Hungary mean? What sort of conditions related to the right of residence wouldn't be related to the right of PR?

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:06 pm

I
know you had an easy time in Italy getting your wifes RC, but you are one of the lucky ones???? I literally know hundreds of couples who have been waiting 2 years or more????? I have met these people at the Questura!!! Which is the immigration offices in Italy....were they seem to have never heard of the Directive!!!
Oh, they are mentioned all right: the lack of the residence card for family members is there. When you finally get your husbasnd's, it will probably be a PDS valid for 5 years, which is a document which actually doers not exist. Don't worry: it will say it was issued for family reasons because he is the husdband of an EU citizen and your name will be printed. This is what I got. Did I never tell you we went to the Questura before we married and spoke to the big man himself (her visa was going to expire 2 days after the first date we could marry). As the whole police station was looking at us and laughing, I believe they knew beforehand it was no marriage of convenience.

Say, F. is getting a bit snappy at the other site! Considering I make free publicity for him I do find it a bit hard.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:42 pm

Thanks Richard.....cannot wait to see the Italians getting what they deserve!! I know can not believe they won't even let us post the name of this site on Tutto!!!

I went to the Questura with my hubby just after we were married...but we had no marriage certificate....as we had to wait months for that....and the head of the place told me to apply asap...for my other half...then after years of waiting they refuse!!!

One of the police man even asked me why I married a Moroccan and not Italian and started to laugh...they are unbelievable!!!

Anyway they have once again ruined another Xmas for us....I have't gone home for Xmas since we married!!! But this year I got to but with out the hubby!! I really want my day in court.....so they can understand how muchthey tried and failed to mess up our live....I feel like they think if they just hold out long enough then we will stop applying!

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:23 pm

You had no marriage certificate? We did not either: we used the Libretto internazionale di famiglia. Actually, we managed to get all documents (PDS, residenza, health insurance and Centro per l'impiego) done in less than 48 hours.

I am sorry they are ruining your Christmas again, but it will be the last one!

The UK ruined the chance for my wife to meet my father. I do hope they are a little more forthcoming in the matter of our child's nationality. I wrote to the Embassy in Rome, but if it's always T. G. that answers...

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:47 am

Richard66 wrote:You had no marriage certificate? We did not either: we used the Libretto internazionale di famiglia. Actually, we managed to get all documents (PDS, residenza, health insurance and Centro per l'impiego) done in less than 48 hours.

The UK ruined the chance for my wife to meet my father. I do hope they are a little more forthcoming in the matter of our child's nationality. I wrote to the Embassy in Rome, but if it's always T. G. that answers...
How come you guys don't get your marriage certificate on time ?

I applied for a registration for marriage, They fixed me for 2 weeks after, I got our certificate the same day we got married and I didn't even submit all my documents which I was informed to submit after (which I did).

my visa expired one week before I applied for the residence...
Charles4u

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:49 am

Richard66 wrote:You had no marriage certificate? We did not either: we used the Libretto internazionale di famiglia. Actually, we managed to get all documents (PDS, residenza, health insurance and Centro per l'impiego) done in less than 48 hours.

How come you guys don't get your marriage certificate on time ?

I applied for a registration for marriage, They fixed me for 2 weeks after, I got our certificate the same day we got married and I didn't even submit all my documents which I was informed to submit after (which I did).

my visa expired one week before I applied for the residence...
Charles4u

pierre75

Post by pierre75 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:47 am

You can find the original report in English here :

http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/news/i ... 840_en.pdf
REPORT FROM THE COMMISSION
TO THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND THE COUNCIL
on the application of Directive 2004/38/EC on the right of citizens of the Union and their
family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States

For the ones who speak French, we fully translated the report in French (whith first basic analysis in French) here :

http://multinational.leforum.eu/t388-Co ... ancais.htm
New forum in french for binationals Europe/third country couples and families :
http://multinational.leforum.eu

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:18 am

pierre75 wrote:You can find the original report in English here :

http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/news/i ... 840_en.pdf

[...]

For the ones who speak French, we fully translated the report in French (whith first basic analysis in French) here :
Thank you very much Pierre.

Unfortunately, I don't speak French. Does anyone know what what it means for France? The statistic in the report's annex says that France implemented only about 60% correctly.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:52 am

First off....we got married then waited for the comune to issue our marriage certificate....which took almost 6 months to be issued....this is not an immigration issue though as friends of ours Italians both recently got married and waited 4 months for their marriage certificate to be issued!

The whole italian system is a mess!!! Anyway this is not important as it happened almost 3 years ago.....I have not head back fromt he Commission again...even though I sent all the documentation...wish they would get a move on....and keep me informed!!! I can not wait to see Italy get its well deserved slap on the wrist!!!

And Richard good luck with the whole FP thing really hope you can sort out your childs citizenship.....and he/she doesn't become stateless!!

Sorry quick question if you register the childs birth in the first yea of his/her life will they not automatically become British?

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:05 pm

Six months? Our libretto di famiglia was delivered at the marriage cerimony. The marriage certificates were ready maybe 5 days later.

Oh, they gave my wife a little present, 1oz pure silver during the marriage and a "marriage certificate" in theory signed by the mayor, in parchment.

At the town hall they could not be nicer: fast, courteous and efficient.

If the child is born in Italy and is stateless at birth we need to register it before its 18th birthday. The problem will be proving this statelessness.

This is the letter I wrote and the answer I received from the British Embassy in Rome:
Please see the information on the website for British nationality. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/ For further information plese telephone 06 4220 0001 from 9.15am to 12 noon Monday to Friday.
Consular Section
British Embassy
Rome
http://UKinItaly.fco.gov.uk

Visit our blogs at: http://blogs.fco.gov.uk

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998 (which may be viewed at www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk). Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK Government Departments and public authorities.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 12 December 2008 18:57
To: ConsularRome@fco.gov.uk
Subject: British nationality for our child

Dear Sir / Madam, In late March 2009 my wife and I are expecting our first child to be born; we expect the birth to take place in Italy. My name is ****. I have been established in Italy since January 1999, though I lived here previously, from November 1994 to September 1995. The last time I was in the UK was in September 2002. Before that I was there from September to December 1995. I was born on **** in Rio de Janeiro. My father, **** was born on **** in ***, England. He was not at the time of my birth in Government service. I beleive I am a British citizen by descent and cannot normally pass British citizenship to my children. My wife, ****, is Russian, born in Vologda, on ***. She has lived in Italy since May 2007. We married in *** in August 2007 and a record of our marriage has been deposited in the UK. I am in Italy exercising treaty rights while my wife also is employed, so we are both covered by Italian Social Security. Russian law says that a child born outside of Russia will only have a claim to Russian citizenship if both parents are Russian. As you know, Italian citizenship is not acquired jus solis. The only way of acquiring Italian citizenship is to demonstrate the impossibility to pass citizenship to the child by any means. Our child, unless it is born in the UK, will be born stateless. Will we be able to apply for British citizenship for our child? What documents and evidence will we need to provide? Do you have any advice you can give us? This is for us a very worrying situation. I look forward to hearing from you. Yours sincerely,
Why do they bother giiving an e-mail address? Sigh.