ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employer issued wrong type of CoS

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zakouma
Newly Registered
Australia

Employer issued wrong type of CoS

Post by zakouma » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:55 pm

In July, I applied for a skilled work visa from outside the UK. Unfortunately the CoS initially issued by my employer was for a visa switch (student to skilled worker), as opposed to a fresh application. After some back and forth, my employer issued a new defined CoS and sent the details to UKVI one week ago. Neither I nor my sponsor have heard anything since.

Is there anything else that needs to be done, or is it safe to trust UKVI to take it from here? My work start date is in just over two weeks so I was considering withdrawing the application altogether and re-applying with super-priority. This in theory would guarantee that I get my visa on time, although I'm wary of the possibility of unexpected delays (e.g. with appointment availability, etc.).

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Employer issued wrong type of CoS

Post by manci » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:13 pm

zakouma wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:55 pm
Neither I nor my sponsor have heard anything since.
this is normal
zakouma wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:55 pm
Is there anything else that needs to be done, or is it safe to trust UKVI to take it from here?
Assuming no decision has been taken on your application vary it by submitting a new application with the new CoS number. It will supersede the previous application. You'll have to pay the fees again but the fees you paid for the previous application will be refunded.

The work start date can be amended by the sponsor by adding a sponsor note to the new CoS before you submit the new application but this is not necessary if you actually start work within 28 days of the start date in the CoS

zakouma
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by zakouma » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:45 am

Thanks for this. I called the UKVI hotline yesterday and they said my application has now been 'decided' so I guess it's now just a matter of waiting for an official notification. Would variation have even been possible since my application was submitted from outside the UK? All the material I can find online (Home Office website, etc) suggests that it's only really a thing for applications made inside the UK.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:45 pm

zakouma wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:45 am
I called the UKVI hotline yesterday and they said my application has now been 'decided' so I guess it's now just a matter of waiting for an official notification.
wait for the decision. Sometimes when the HO realises that there has been a mistake in an application (in your case the incorrect CoS number) they give an opportunity to correct it
zakouma wrote:
Would variation have even been possible since my application was submitted from outside the UK? All the material I can find online (Home Office website, etc) suggests that it's only really a thing for applications made inside the UK.
You are right. According to the March 2023 guidance

Although the variation rules apply to applications made under the Immigration Rules
made both in the UK and overseas, they are currently only applied in practice as
variation requirements to applications made in the UK. They will be rolled out to
applications made outside the UK when the technology is in place

MaciePie
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by MaciePie » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:29 am

zakouma wrote:
Thanks for this. I called the UKVI hotline yesterday and they said my application has now been 'decided' so I guess it's now just a matter of waiting for an official notification. Would variation have even been possible since my application was submitted from outside the UK? All the material I can find online (Home Office website, etc) suggests that it's only really a thing for applications made inside the UK.
Hi, may I ask which number you called to get this update about "been decided". All the lines I can find are not able to provide me any update about my application. They just gave me general replies only.