ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent residence in Hungary

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sze
Newly Registered

Permanent residence in Hungary

Post by Sze » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:37 pm

A year ago, I contacted a lawyer in Hungary to ask about my options for permanent residence in Hungary and this is the answer I got:

The legislation has changed by the 1st of July 2007.
As it stands, there are three kind of permanent residence permits or immigration cards.

1. To apply for a "temporary residence permit" the applicant needs to have permanent residence permit issued by an other EU member state.

2. The "national permanent residence permit" matches the one stated in the old law, which means that a 3 year legal and continuous stay in Hungary must be certified. The total days outside of the country cannot be more than 270 days, or 4 months without a break in the given period.

3. The "EU permanent residence permit" has stricter conditions,but the bearer can work in any of the other EU member countries. A 5 year continuous stay in Hungary is necessary , with a maximum 300 days spent abroad.
Proper income and accommodation has to be proved in each case. Rental agreements for undetermined period or privately owned real estate are essential. The amount of income / person is a question of judgement, but experience tells that a minimum 160.000,-HUF gross is accepted.

Now that I have definitely lived in Hungary for over 5 years I want to apply for the third option, but am curious if anyone with a non-EU passport has done it, and what their experience was like. Is it possible for me to do it myself without engaging the services of a lawyer?

Thanks,
Sze