ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Stelcal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode

Post by Stelcal » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:19 pm

Hello dear gurus,

I became a British Citizen last week (ceremony attended - certificate of naturalization issued). I am also an EU citizen and hold an EU passport. I am planning to apply for a British passport in about a month from now, because in a couple of weeks I will be on holidays (in an EU country), so I am afraid that if I would apply today I will risk to lose my booked trip (since I have to send my current passport).
Today I received an email from EU Settlement Scheme Status about various future updates (all very interesting but no longer relative to my status since I'm British). What I found interesting instead is the last paragraph of that email that states : "If you have become a British citizen since you were granted settled status, you must use either a valid British passport, or a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode which can be placed in a valid foreign passport, when re-entering the UK following overseas travel".
I did some research both on this platform and online about the certificate of entitlement to the right of abode and found just one EU citizen commenting that she or he travelled abroad with their EU passport and came back as per previous practice with no issues. That was/is? my plan as well. Also from my online search I found that the Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode costs 372 pounds in the UK and it takes 8 week, plus one has to send some documentation (passport I imagine etc).
I do not see the point in applying for this certificate since it costs the quadruple of a passport and it takes a month longer. On the other hand I read some comments from the various gurus on this platform, that the certificate of naturalization does not prove your status!?!? I was planning to travel with my EU passport and a copy of my Certificate of naturalization.
What is the best way to approach this situation in your view?
Is there any HO helpline number that I could call and ask for info?
Any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated as always

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:33 pm

The Naturalisation Certificate is the only document that confers citizenship and therefore is absolute proof.
The passport is a travel document and is not absolute proof. Passports have been known to be issued by mistake, when applicants weren't British!
Also, British citizens have an absolute right of abode in the UK and can't be refused entry. Ideally get a British passport but you already have planned to carry your certificate (copy or original) which many travellers have done before. It may add a few minutes waiting time if you need to go to a Border Force desk, or you could use your EU passport at the eGates.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Stelcal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode

Post by Stelcal » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:06 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:33 pm
The Naturalisation Certificate is the only document that confers citizenship and therefore is absolute proof.
The passport is a travel document and is not absolute proof. Passports have been known to be issued by mistake, when applicants weren't British!
Also, British citizens have an absolute right of abode in the UK and can't be refused entry. Ideally get a British passport but you already have planned to carry your certificate (copy or original) which many travellers have done before. It may add a few minutes waiting time if you need to go to a Border Force desk, or you could use your EU passport at the eGates.
Thank you very much for your kind reply. Very informative as always.