ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU citizen wants UK passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

keerni
Newly Registered

EU citizen wants UK passport

Post by keerni » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:32 pm

Hello,

I am from Denmark and I am Dansih citizen.
I Live in Britain for 3 years
How can I get British passport? What do I have to do?

Thanks!!!

republique
BANNED

Re: EU citizen wants UK passport

Post by republique » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:39 pm

keerni wrote:Hello,

Thanks!!!
Check out the fantasy queue, over here >>>>>>>>>

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:47 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks!!!
Unless you have any British residency, you need 6 years' residency, including one year on Permanent Residency.

However, the rules are changing soon....

Also, are you aware that you may have to renounce your Danish citizenship?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:47 am

Doesn't appear that the rules will change for EU passport holders and dependants.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:26 pm

I'm an EU citizen living in the UK for more than ten years, and have been granted Permanent Residence a few years ago.
However, I never bothered about applying for British citizenship as I don't see any real benefit in it for me, so I wonder why keerni is so keen on getting it?

thsths
United Kingdom

Post by thsths » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:33 pm

Casa wrote:Doesn't appear that the rules will change for EU passport holders and dependants.
Well, I guess we will see. Since this is a radical overhaul of the nationalisation process, I doubt that they will leave current legislation in place just for EU nationals. So EU nationals will most likely face new legislation, and that will inevitably have some changes. I would not be surprised if the idea of "active citizenship" is applied.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:09 am

The probationary citizenship plans will be deviating from the EU model of PR and citizenship anyway.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:56 am

thsths wrote:
Casa wrote:Doesn't appear that the rules will change for EU passport holders and dependants.
Well, I guess we will see. Since this is a radical overhaul of the nationalisation process, I doubt that they will leave current legislation in place just for EU nationals. So EU nationals will most likely face new legislation, and that will inevitably have some changes. I would not be surprised if the idea of "active citizenship" is applied.
Casa must be right: EU nationals derive their right to Permanent Residency directly from directive 2004/38 which overrules any national law that may be conflicting with it, and therefore they will bypass the probationary stage (a very insulting term anyway, in the past only used in connection with convicted criminals). Anyway, as I said before, I don't see a good reason why an EU national would want to apply for British Citizenship, but of course, everybody can make his own choice for that.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:28 am

fysicus wrote:Casa must be right: EU nationals derive their right to Permanent Residency directly from directive 2004/38 which overrules any national law that may be conflicting with it, and therefore they will bypass the probationary stage (a very insulting term anyway, in the past only used in connection with convicted criminals). Anyway, as I said before, I don't see a good reason why an EU national would want to apply for British Citizenship, but of course, everybody can make his own choice for that.
Not quite, EU directives do not overrule national legislation but instead relies on them for local implementation. In cases of non-compliance by a member state, an EU court can enforce the directive but that's because the national courts have first told the applicant to f off.

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:13 pm

Citizenship is regulated by national law only, not EU.
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:20 pm

fysicus wrote:Casa must be right: EU nationals derive their right to Permanent Residency directly from directive 2004/38 which overrules any national law that may be conflicting with it, and therefore they will bypass the probationary stage (a very insulting term anyway, in the past only used in connection with convicted criminals). Anyway, as I said before, I don't see a good reason why an EU national would want to apply for British Citizenship, but of course, everybody can make his own choice for that.
The British government would be within its rights to decide time in the U.K. before permanent residence was obtained did not count in any way for British citizenship.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:58 am

Yes, I agree that naturalisation (nationalisation is what governments do with banks) is a purely national issue.
However, the proposals as I saw them also had the probationary stage as a precursor to both permanent residence and citizenship, and that would conflict with EU law

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:10 am

fysicus wrote: However, the proposals as I saw them also had the probationary stage as a precursor to both permanent residence and citizenship, and that would conflict with EU law

Don't accept everything the government says at face value. The individual making that statement probably forgot about the EEA route.

It is clear that permanent residence will still be available after 5 years on the EEA track. Nothing will change that, unless the EEA rules themselves break down (they have not been tested by mass unemployment, so anything is possible).

However, the new rules likely will mean a longer waiting time for British citizenship for those from EEA nations.

MAKUSA
BANNED

Post by MAKUSA » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks!!!
You are better off sticking to the Danish passports, the UK and the USA passports are hot cake for terrorists basically if you hold one of those passports you might be less safe.