ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Options for my mother

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kairos

Options for my mother

Post by kairos » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I became a British citizen a couple of years ago through marriage. My mother, who is a Canadian citizen, would like to attain British citizenship or ILR so that she can come to visit for longer periods of time and potentially even live with us when she's older.

She doesn't qualify for enough points to obtain a visa that way, but I would appreciate your advice on other options. My step-father is a dual citizen of Canada and the UK. Could she obtain a visa through him, even though they live in Canada right now, or would they need to move to the UK?

Otherwise, would it be possible for me to sponsor her in the future?

Thanks very much everyone!

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:28 pm

As your mother is married to a British Citizen and I assume she's been living together with her husband for the last four years, she can apply for ILR (form VAF4) to come and live in the UK for 3 years. After that, she can apply for British Citizenship.

But for ILE, she does need to intend to settle in the UK.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:56 pm

As your mother is married to a British Citizen and I assume she's been living together with her husband for the last four years, she can apply for ILR (form VAF4) to come and live in the UK for 3 years.
She can only get ILE if she first studies for and passes the Life in the UK Citizenship test, and the only place to take the test is in the UK. "Merely" being married to a British Citizen for at least 4 years is insufficient. Except if the person is 65 or over then they are exempt from the test requirement.

But actually, if she gets ILE she get live in the UK forever, not just three years. But yes, three years in the UK necessary before Naturalisation can be applied for. (under current legislation)
John