ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TravelPre/Post Ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

xcrogers

TravelPre/Post Ceremony

Post by xcrogers » Sun May 21, 2023 10:21 am

My job often requires short notice travel (to USA) at client request (I hold a USA passport/citizenship). Looking through other posts on this it would seem the following is (while not encouraged) acceptable and would not hinder either entering the country or finalizing my pathway to citizenship (and passport):

- travel while application for uk citizenship in/underconsideration - no issue at all
- travel between (hopeful) approval and ceremony - no issue at all
- travel between ceremony and passport application - not encouraged, if I did would need copy of UK naturalisation forms from ceremony and likely/possibly face increased scrutiny at boarder (but would I if I use e-gates?)
- travel while passport application in - not going to happen as they'll have supporting documents (including USA passport)
- travel after obtaining passport - obvs no issue

Thank you

Ixeon659
Latvia

Re: TravelPre/Post Ceremony

Post by Ixeon659 » Sun May 21, 2023 11:54 pm

xcrogers wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 10:21 am
travel between ceremony and passport application - not encouraged
Here you can rely on your USA passport, it is visa-free for the UK so you should have no problems to enter the UK, just bring your certificate of naturalisation with you (just in case, if e-gates are not available, you will face an officer and he might ask you about the purpose of your visit to the UK and you don't have BRP/BRC with you anymore). It is more a problem for those passport holders who are not visa-free to the UK, for you it is fine.

xcrogers

Post by xcrogers » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:40 am

I received approval of my application this morning and have three international trips planned between now and Oct 15th. I wanted to confirm that it makes 'more' sense to to the following:

Given I have 90 days to schedule the ceremony I schedule the ceremony for the day I return from my last trip and then apply for my British passport immedaitely after.

this would be versus to schedule my ceremony ASAP and then use my (USA) passport at e-gates/passport control, have my letter with me and accept more scrutiny at the boarder.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:53 am

xcrogers wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:40 am
I received approval of my application this morning and have three international trips planned between now and Oct 15th. I wanted to confirm that it makes 'more' sense to to the following:

Given I have 90 days to schedule the ceremony I schedule the ceremony for the day I return from my last trip and then apply for my British passport immedaitely after.

this would be versus to schedule my ceremony ASAP and then use my (USA) passport at e-gates/passport control, have my letter with me and accept more scrutiny at the boarder.
Both options work for now. By the end of 2024, the second option would evaporate. E-visa would be incorporated for people who do not need a visa to enter the United Kingdom, they will need to have an electronic travel authorisation, or ETA, before they visit.

If you're British, you wouldn't be able to get one, so you'd be forced to get a British passport.

Same way Americans can't enter the USA on a foreign passport.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

xcrogers

Post by xcrogers » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:30 pm

As a note/update I just had my citizenship ceremony (Lambeth Council, London) and at the conclusion of the ceremony the registrar loudly and pointedly noted that 'if you have upcoming/immediate travel to do so and then apply for your UK passport after that travel'. They made no qualifications or exlcusions to this statement. Interesting given the notes from others above and I thought to pass along.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:46 pm

xcrogers wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:30 pm
As a note/update I just had my citizenship ceremony (Lambeth Council, London) and at the conclusion of the ceremony the registrar loudly and pointedly noted that 'if you have upcoming/immediate travel to do so and then apply for your UK passport after that travel'. They made no qualifications or exlcusions to this statement. Interesting given the notes from others above and I thought to pass along.
Presumably they didn't give out a document supporting this (would be interesting where this comes from) but they probably know you have to submit your national passport to HMPO - you can always present your certificate and foreign passport at the UK border and you will be admitted. Though it's not a travel or visa type document and wouldn't be accepted for boarding but as you are a visa-free national you'd still be allowed to board.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

xcrogers

Post by xcrogers » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:47 pm

No, nothing handed out. Only verbally conveyed. Agreed for citizens of 'visa free' countries (such as USA) not an issue and likely ok. But in a group setting of 40-50 people I see no way they could they confidently make that advise. Still intersting nonetheless.