ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Language test change?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MarkCa
United Kingdom

Language test change?

Post by MarkCa » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:00 am

Hi,

My company has sponsored a number of visas so far, but nothing new within the last year or so.

A person from abroad has asked me where they should take the test and I am very confident that a few years ago there was a list of authorised test providers per country on the gov.uk website.

However, when I looked now, I can only see a list of accepted tests and minimum scores, but not the providers as well.

Does it mean that this has changed? Are all providers accepted as long as test is done according to standards (IELTS, SELT etc)?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Language test change?

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:04 am

MarkCa wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:00 am
Hi,

My company has sponsored a number of visas so far, but nothing new within the last year or so.

A person from abroad has asked me where they should take the test and I am very confident that a few years ago there was a list of authorised test providers per country on the gov.uk website.

However, when I looked now, I can only see a list of accepted tests and minimum scores, but not the providers as well.

Does it mean that this has changed? Are all providers accepted as long as test is done according to standards (IELTS, SELT etc)?
See here for the approved providers: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prove-your- ... -providers
Not sure there have been any major changes recently - probably just tweaked the presentation of info.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

MarkCa
United Kingdom

Post by MarkCa » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:00 pm

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. I am not sure why it "disappeared" as I was looking at the exact same page, maybe it was some sort of maintenance.

I have one more question but I am not sure if I should set up a new topic.

If I want to sponsor someone who is studying in the UK on a student visa, does it mean that they have already proven knowledge of English (scored points there) and that we do not need to submit it again? Or the test will be required again?

MarkCa
United Kingdom

English Knowledge

Post by MarkCa » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:32 pm

If I want to sponsor someone who is studying in the UK on a student visa, does it mean that they have already proven knowledge of English (scored points there) and that we do not need to submit it again? Or the test will be required again?

They did an english test online when coming to the UK (done by Language Cert) however I am not sure if these tests need to be done in person? Anyway, they are already studying in the UK based on this test, I am just not sure if it can be then used for skilled worker visa?

Level is B2 so no issues there.

MarkCa
United Kingdom

Post by MarkCa » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:14 pm

Can anyone please help?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:34 pm

Can't comment on specific tests or visas in general but have you reviewed everything on the link I provided?
Only tests which are mentioned on that site and on the specific visa guidance are accepted - just taking a test may not be sufficient if it's not on the approved list.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:50 pm

MarkCa wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:32 pm
Have they already got a UK degree (specifically degree, not a certificate or diploma)? I think that a UK degree at any level is adequate to satisfy the language requirements for most immigration purposes.

If not, to the best of my memory, the language requirements for a student visa and work visa are different. So a language certificate for a student visa may not be sufficient for a work visa. But wait for others to advise further.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: English Knowledge

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:07 pm

MarkCa wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:32 pm
If I want to sponsor someone who is studying in the UK on a student visa,
Have they finished their course? If not, they cannot switch to Skilled Worker Visa. The rules have changed.
Eligibility
You must meet the following requirements:

your job meets the eligibility requirements
you can speak, read, write and understand English
If you’re currently in the UK on a Student visa, you must also meet one of the following requirements:

you have completed the course you were sponsored to study
your job start date is after your course has finished
you have studied for a PhD for at least 24 months
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.