ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Currently on UK D-Marriage/CP standard Visa, but now married.. what to do next?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

barbarafduarte
Newly Registered
Portugal

Currently on UK D-Marriage/CP standard Visa, but now married.. what to do next?

Post by barbarafduarte » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:21 pm

Hi all, so I am currently on the D-Marriage/CP Standard Visa as a partner/fiancée I came from Portugal on the 26th of July, we got married two weeks ago on the 21st September we paid 1822.00 EUR for this visa and I'm unsure now how do we switch to the wife visa online? Since there's no switch option on the UK government website? Also, since I took my husband's last name, do I need to change my passport and citizen card details before doing the switch to wife application? And how would I do that since my visa is stamped on my passport? Very confusing, and in very much need of any help!

Thank you kindly,
Barbara.

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Currently on UK D-Marriage/CP standard Visa, but now married.. what to do next?

Post by manci » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:18 pm

barbarafduarte wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:21 pm
I'm unsure now how do we switch to the wife visa online?
As you came to the UK on a fiancée visa and got married within 6 months you are eligible to apply for a spouse visa from the UK. The requirements and how to apply are here:
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse
barbarafduarte wrote:
since I took my husband's last name, do I need to change my passport and citizen card details before doing the switch to wife application? And how would I do that since my visa is stamped on my passport?

Not necessary to get a new passport in your married name but you can if you want to. If you do then presumably you will retain your old passport with the visa in it even if the passport is cancelled.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Currently on UK D-Marriage/CP standard Visa, but now married.. what to do next?

Post by Ticktack » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:05 pm

FYI, when you apply for this, you can't leave the UK until it's approved. Exiting the UK for whatever reason would mean that you've withdrawn your application.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

barbarafduarte
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by barbarafduarte » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:59 pm

manci wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:18 pm
barbarafduarte wrote:
I'm unsure now how do we switch to the wife visa online?
As you came to the UK on a fiancée visa and got married within 6 months you are eligible to apply for a spouse visa from the UK. The requirements and how to apply are here:
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse
barbarafduarte wrote:
since I took my husband's last name, do I need to change my passport and citizen card details before doing the switch to wife application? And how would I do that since my visa is stamped on my passport?

Not necessary to get a new passport in your married name but you can if you want to. If you do then presumably you will retain your old passport with the visa in it even if the passport is cancelled.
Ah I see, I just thought we wouldn't have to apply everything again, since we paid so much for first visa!
I'm in no rush of changing my Citzen Card or Passport, happy to do it after we get everything sorted. So I'm assuming when we do the wife application now, I need to put that my name is 'Barbara + husbands last name' and on the application put my previous surname on previous names? Is that correct?

barbarafduarte
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by barbarafduarte » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:59 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:05 pm
FYI, when you apply for this, you can't leave the UK until it's approved. Exiting the UK for whatever reason would mean that you've withdrawn your application.
Oh I don't plan on it! I am here to stay and live with my husband :D

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:41 pm

barbarafduarte wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:59 pm
Ah I see, I just thought we wouldn't have to apply everything again, since we paid so much for first visa!
If your Portugese flag is your country: all immigrants are treated the same now that the UK has left the EU and visas are expensive.

The other thing that is no longer free for EEA citizens who now enter the UK under UK immigration rules, is the NHS (healthcare). As you are on a Fiance visa, you will be billed for the NHS billable services at 150% of the national NHS cost.

As somebody who is not temporaty in the UK, I don't know whether Portugal (if that is your country) will pay for any treatment for you under your Protugese EHIC? If not, you might want to look at having private health insurance?

You will pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (to use the NHS) with your FLR(M) visa application and only once that visa is granted will you be able to use the NHS as A British Citizen residing in the UK can (except for IVF).
https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application
Last edited by JB007 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:57 pm

So I'm assuming when we do the wife application now, I need to put that my name is 'Barbara + husbands last name' and on the application put my previous surname on previous names? Is that correct?
You have to apply based on the name in your foreign passport. If you dont chmage your passport to your married name, you have apply for your spouse visa in your maiden name as stated in your current passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

barbarafduarte
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by barbarafduarte » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:36 pm

JB007 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:41 pm
barbarafduarte wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:59 pm
If your Portugese flag is your country: all immigrants are treated the same now that the UK has left the EU and visas are expensive.

The other thing that is no longer free for EEA citizens who now enter the UK under UK immigration rules, is the NHS (healthcare). As you are on a Fiance visa, you will be billed for the NHS billable services at 150% of the national NHS cost.

As somebody who is not temporaty in the UK, I don't know whether Portugal (if that is your country) will pay for any treatment for you under your Protugese EHIC? If not, you might want to look at having private health insurance?

You will pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (to use the NHS) with your FLR(M) visa application and only once that visa is granted will you be able to use the NHS as A British Citizen residing in the UK can (except for IVF).
https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application
I was under the impression that when we pay for the next visa ( wife visa ) that the charge that it comes with involves also the NHS charge?
I'm not planning on staying in the UK temporarily, I plan on permanently living here. I have lived here previously since 2014 to 2019 but moved back to portugal between 2015-2016 and for that reason and gap, they didnt grant me british citizenship, im partially aware of how things work here, its obviously the visa situation i'm entirely new to as this wasn't needed when i first came here obviously.

barbarafduarte
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by barbarafduarte » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:38 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:57 pm
So I'm assuming when we do the wife application now, I need to put that my name is 'Barbara + husbands last name' and on the application put my previous surname on previous names? Is that correct?
You have to apply based on the name in your foreign passport. If you dont chmage your passport to your married name, you have apply for your spouse visa in your maiden name as stated in your current passport.
I see, so I can apply with my current passport that's great! does that also mean when giving my details to the tax council for example, that it has to be my name as stated on my passport and not my married name? we have given my married name to the council tax but now i'm realizing that might have been a mistake?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:48 pm

In the UK
"You do not have to follow a legal process to start using a new name. But you might need a ‘deed poll’ to apply for or to change official documents like your passport or driving licence."
Quoted from gov.uk (https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll).
So there's no issue using a different name (even for council tax).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

barbarafduarte
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by barbarafduarte » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:53 pm

If it's not too much of a bother I have some other queries;
my current visa expires on 13th of january, is there any problem if we only apply a few weeks or days before it expires? would i have to go back to portugal? also, when applying for the wife visa ( transitioning from fiancee to wife ) do i need to make a new account? or do i need to apply from the same account i applied for the fiancee visa?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:12 pm

barbarafduarte wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:53 pm
If it's not too much of a bother I have some other queries;
my current visa expires on 13th of january, is there any problem if we only apply a few weeks or days before it expires? You can apply any time till the last day on the visa. Just don't leave it too late.would i have to go back to portugal? Nope, it can be done in country (UK)also, when applying for the wife visa ( transitioning from fiancee to wife ) do i need to make a new account? You might not need to.or do i need to apply from the same account i applied for the fiancee visa?The system would navigate you. But i highly believe that you'd be using the same account.

barbarafduarte
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by barbarafduarte » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:29 pm

Hi all, so I'm currently doing my visa application from fiancee to wife, but I'm a little confused on what to choose on this bit, if anyone would be able to help me:
Please choose the reason you are applying for an extension, this includes if you are switching to a partner visa from another type.

First extension as a partner (following an initial period of entry as a partner, or as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of a settled person)

First application as a partner from within the UK (for example, you are currently in the UK on another type of visa or permission to stay)

I'm confused on which of these two options to choose, I'm currently in the UK, we have gotten married so I just wanna switch from my 6 months fiancee visa to a wife visa , if anyone could help that'd be great. Many thanks !

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:03 pm

First extension as a partner (following an initial period of entry as a partner, or as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of a settled person)
This one which clearly states if you have as an initial peruod as a fiance
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

barbarafduarte
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by barbarafduarte » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:24 am

thank you for your help! I'm not on the documents part of the application, something I'm struggling to understand is this:

You must provide at least 6 items of correspondence, addressed to you and your partner jointly or in both your names. The dates of the items of correspondence should be spread evenly over the whole 2 years. They should be from at least 3 different sources. If you do not have enough items in your joint names, you may also provide items addressed to each of you individually if they show the same address for both of you. For example - 4 items of correspondence in joint names to the same address and 2 items addressed to each partner at the address. In total 8 items would need to be submitted. If you and your partner have no bills or correspondence in joint names, you will need to submit 12 items (6 each) of correspondence evidencing that you reside together at the same address.

now, we have only been officially living together since July of this year, and got married in September of this year as well. I barely have any correspondence to myself as I can't work on a fiancée visa. so how do they expect me to be able to give items of correspondence? the only thing that comes that we have in both our joint names is our tax, everything else is in my husband's name. how can i provide things for the last two years if we have only been living together since july? ( i previously lived in portugal and my partner here in UK ).
I'm so sorry for asking , but this is really confusing and making me anxious.
Any help would be welcomed, thank you so much all !

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:28 am

barbarafduarte wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:24 am
thank you for your help! I'm not on the documents part of the application, something I'm struggling to understand is this:

You must provide at least 6 items of correspondence, addressed to you and your partner jointly or in both your names. The dates of the items of correspondence should be spread evenly over the whole 2 years. They should be from at least 3 different sources. If you do not have enough items in your joint names, you may also provide items addressed to each of you individually if they show the same address for both of you. For example - 4 items of correspondence in joint names to the same address and 2 items addressed to each partner at the address. In total 8 items would need to be submitted. If you and your partner have no bills or correspondence in joint names, you will need to submit 12 items (6 each) of correspondence evidencing that you reside together at the same address.

now, we have only been officially living together since July of this year, and got married in September of this year as well. I barely have any correspondence to myself as I can't work on a fiancée visa. so how do they expect me to be able to give items of correspondence? the only thing that comes that we have in both our joint names is our tax, everything else is in my husband's name. how can i provide things for the last two years if we have only been living together since july? ( i previously lived in portugal and my partner here in UK ).
No one expects you to provide that. That requirement is for those that entered on a spouse visa and are renewing after 2.5 years. You've been permitted to come here to marry. You're now married. That's all you need to prove. Evidenced with your marriage certificate.
You need to prove that your spouse earns what the requirement is and that you now live together.

barbarafduarte
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by barbarafduarte » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:49 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:28 am
barbarafduarte wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:24 am

No one expects you to provide that. That requirement is for those that entered on a spouse visa and are renewing after 2.5 years. You've been permitted to come here to marry. You're now married. That's all you need to prove. Evidenced with your marriage certificate.
You need to prove that your spouse earns what the requirement is and that you now live together.
Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease, I really do appreciate everyone's help so far !