ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sent passport and naturalisation certificate to HMPO- Royal Mail lost it

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

te23
United Kingdom

Sent passport and naturalisation certificate to HMPO- Royal Mail lost it

Post by te23 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:31 pm

Sent it via Special Delivery immediately after ceremony last week. However, it never updated on the system. I'm trying everything but Royal Mail doesn't know where my parcel is.

My country of origin doesn't allow dual citizenship and so I can't get another passport.

Therefore, even if I apply for a replacement naturalisation certificate, I can't get a passport again.

How do I go about getting my first adult British passport without my current passport, since it's a required document?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Sent passport and naturalisation certificate to HMPO- Royal Mail lost it

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:50 pm

It takes a couple of weeks for the system to update, tbey receives 100s and 100s of applications everyday to get logged and sent for processing.

Have a bit of patience.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

te23
United Kingdom

Post by te23 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:02 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:50 pm
It takes a couple of weeks for the system to update, tbey receives 100s and 100s of applications everyday to get logged and sent for processing.

Have a bit of patience.
Hi

Thank you for replying.
I mean that the special delivery tracking has no updates. It is still saying we are expecting the item, even though it should have reached by now.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:27 pm

Wait a week or so. Post is delivered to a po box for hmpo, no one actually signs for it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:06 pm

te23 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:31 pm

Therefore, even if I apply for a replacement naturalisation certificate, I can't get a passport again.

How do I go about getting my first adult British passport without my current passport, since it's a required document?
I trust your documents will be logged in soon by HMPO. Have you checked the HMPO online processing status?

Note however that a foreign passport is not a mandatory document, if you have one then it's normal to submit it.
You are a British citizen and your certificate is the proof - HMPO ask for foreign passports, if you have one, to check that the names used are the same as on your certificate. People do loose their passports, but a BC is normally entitled to apply for a passport.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

te23
United Kingdom

Post by te23 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:18 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:06 pm
te23 wrote:

I trust your documents will be logged in soon by HMPO. Have you checked the HMPO online processing status?

Note however that a foreign passport is not a mandatory document, if you have one then it's normal to submit it.
You are a British citizen and your certificate is the proof - HMPO ask for foreign passports, if you have one, to check that the names used are the same as on your certificate. People do loose their passports, but a BC is normally entitled to apply for a passport.
Thank you.
There's no update on the processing status page so far.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:52 am

te23 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:18 am
alterhase58 wrote:
te23 wrote:

Thank you.
There's no update on the processing status page so far.
It has to be logged as received first before any processing status change. As advised earlier ... patience, your documents most probably not lost.

te23
United Kingdom

Post by te23 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:23 pm

It didn't reach today either. The Passport Office tracking and the Royal Mail tracking has not changed. Getting very worried now.

isla87
Wales

Post by isla87 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:22 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
te23 wrote:

It's not possible to apply for a passport after naturalisation without the existing passport according to list of documents.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:45 pm

isla87 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:22 pm
It's not possible to apply for a passport after naturalisation without the existing passport
Not necessarily.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... accessible
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:59 pm

Let's hope the documents turn up.

There's also an HMPO policy regarding "Dual Nationals" (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ationality), and they use the words "If a customer provides a foreign passport" more than once. Nowhere does it say "must". In any case, if documents have disappeared, then a replacement certificate is required (as they want to see an original) but there should still be a copy of the passport in existence, which I would submit with a suitable explanation.

Again, fingers crossed it all works out.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

te23
United Kingdom

Post by te23 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:03 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:59 pm
Let's hope the documents turn up.

There's also an HMPO policy regarding "Dual Nationals" (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ationality), and they use the words "If a customer provides a foreign passport" more than once. Nowhere does it say "must". In any case, if documents have disappeared, then a replacement certificate is required (as they want to see an original) but there should still be a copy of the passport in existence, which I would submit with a suitable explanation.

Again, fingers crossed it all works out.
Thank you. It's not been delivered today either.

Should I be sending my BRP back to HO considering I won't get a passport now?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:43 pm

Immigration BRP card and British passport are unrelated.
Perhaps holding on to it for the time being might be a good idea - currently you don't have your original national passport or your original certificate (though you have copies I hope). So BRP currently is your only officially issued ID document. I know the £1000 fine threat is concerning however you have good reason to hold on to the card, until the situation is sorted.

te23
United Kingdom

Post by te23 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:08 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:43 pm
Immigration BRP card and British passport are unrelated.
Perhaps holding on to it for the time being might be a good idea - currently you don't have your original national passport or your original certificate (though you have copies I hope). So BRP currently is your only officially issued ID document. I know the £1000 fine threat is concerning however you have good reason to hold on to the card, until the situation is sorted.
Thank you. Should I write to that address to explain why I'm not sending it right now?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:34 pm

Personally I would not contact the address given, unless/until you return the card or you respond to them if they write to you. We have quite a few threads about BRP returns but no substantiated reports about someone being fined.

talreh20
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by talreh20 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:44 am

The same Royal Mail issue with me. I posted my two passports (one expired and one valid) and naturalisation certificate on Monday via signed for the next day by 1 pm. Still says the package left the facility and today is Thursday with no updates on Royal Mail tracking. I have read the thread for the British Passport timeline. It looks like HMPO updates their tracking portal around 5 to 10 days with 'Documents received'.

So I'll give it until next Friday for the status to be checked.

There is nothing much we can do unfortunately other than just waiting patiently. Let us know if you have heard anything back from them. I'll come back and report as well if I hear anything from either Royal Mail or HMPO.

Best wishes.

te23
United Kingdom

Post by te23 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:01 am

talreh20 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:44 am
The same Royal Mail issue with me. I posted my two passports (one expired and one valid) and naturalisation certificate on Monday via signed for the next day by 1 pm. Still says the package left the facility and today is Thursday with no updates on Royal Mail tracking. I have read the thread for the British Passport timeline. It looks like HMPO updates their tracking portal around 5 to 10 days with 'Documents received'.

So I'll give it until next Friday for the status to be checked.

There is nothing much we can do unfortunately other than just waiting patiently. Let us know if you have heard anything back from them. I'll come back and report as well if I hear anything from either Royal Mail or HMPO.

Best wishes.
Thank you. Fingers crossed. I've heard nothing so far from RM or HMPO.

te23
United Kingdom

Post by te23 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:01 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:34 pm
Personally I would not contact the address given, unless/until you return the card or you respond to them if they write to you. We have quite a few threads about BRP returns but no substantiated reports about someone being fined.
Thank you. I am looking at the process to get the naturalisation certificate replacement.

talreh20
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by talreh20 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:34 am

I personally wouldn't do that as yet (unless you are certain that they have lost it). The reason is, that if HMPO gets your certificate, then that won't be valid anymore as you would have applied to replace it. They may refuse your passport application and you'll end up spending more money. You'll apply for the passport again, have to post the naturalisation certificate again, and you'll go through the same level of stress of whether Royal Mail/other postal service going to deliver it.

Perhaps give it another week if you are not a in rush. But off-course up to you.

te23
United Kingdom

Post by te23 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:51 am

talreh20 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:34 am
I personally wouldn't do that as yet (unless you are certain that they have lost it). The reason is, that if HMPO gets your certificate, then that won't be valid anymore as you would have applied to replace it. They may refuse your passport application and you'll end up spending more money. You'll apply for the passport again, have to post the naturalisation certificate again, and you'll go through the same level of stress of whether Royal Mail/other postal service going to deliver it.

Perhaps give it another week if you are not a in rush. But off-course up to you.
Thank you. Yes, you are right that it's best to wait for a few days. Just wanted to ask- have you sent back your BRP to the Home Office?

talreh20
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by talreh20 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:53 am

No. I am not sending it back as I have kids who got their British Citizenship after I received my ILR. So that's the only document for them to prove how they became British Citizens. That's the advice I was given on this forum. Off-course I won't use my BRP to travel. I'll only keep it for any future reference although I have taken scanned copies of it but still have decided to not send it back.

te23
United Kingdom

Post by te23 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:19 am

I was shocked to see that someone was fined for not returning the BRP within 5 days. post2113293.html#p2113293

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:12 am

And they never elaborated on that while still being an active member on the forum - I'm unsure why.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

talreh20
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by talreh20 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:45 am

I also found that highly unlikely that they were fined. CR-001 stated the facts and it seemed impossible that they could be fined so soon.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:10 am

meself2 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:12 am
And they never elaborated on that while still being an active member on the forum - I'm unsure why.
The user is a troll, aggressive and rude.
Char (CR001 not Casa)