ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about Maintence for transition from IGS to PSW Visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Cooper444
Newly Registered

Question about Maintence for transition from IGS to PSW Visa

Post by Cooper444 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:12 pm

Hi, My girlfriend (from Taiwan) is currently staying here with an IGS visa having studied and obtained a master degree here in england. We are currently filling out the application to transition to the PSW visa, but we have a problem with the maintence. It says you must have had a minimum of £800 in her account at all times but she has dropped down to about £600 at times in the last three months. She works full time so receives more than £800 in wages every month but I don't believe this is enough is it? We had heard that I could be a guarantor for her. Is this correct and if so how can we do this? I can't see anything on the application form about this. Thanks in advanced for any help you can give me.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:23 pm

There is no scope for a guarantor on a PSW application. That is only available on a tier 2 application. Even then it is not actually on the application form.

As for the balance being below £800 at any time during the previous three months - that will be a problem and will lead to a refusal. There has to be £800 in the account for the whole period if not then the application must fail. Getting close is not good enough. I think you had worked that out yourself already.

Cooper444
Newly Registered

Post by Cooper444 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks for the information.

Do i have any options? Is there any way of her being able to get the PSW visa now or is it a lost cause?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:04 pm

There are other options but what are you trying to achieve? - that will help point you in the right direction.

Student visa for more study
Marriage / spouse visa
Perhaps she has options with tier 2 if she is on the shortage occupations list.
Tier 1 if she has earned a reasonable salary in her first year

Etc etc

Cooper444
Newly Registered

Post by Cooper444 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:09 pm

We were planning to marry later in the year around September 09 but we could move this forward if it's the best option. I didn't think it was as simple as we get married and then she can stay forever now is it? I thought they had made it more difficult, like tests etc.

Her career isn't on the shortage list and her wage is only about £13k a year at the moment.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:34 pm

If you are going to get married anyway best to bring it forward. Get married in her country - a lot easier than sorting it out in the UK.

Thereafter it is a fairly simple matter of a spouse visa application. The test you mention is when she wants ILR etc. None at the moment.

What you need is to be able to show accommodation and maintenance - have a look at the UKBA web site. If you have a reasonable salary and a house big enough to accommodate you both at the moment you are onto a winner. Does not matter if it is a rented or mortgaged house, you could even stay in your parent’s house as long as you have sole occupancy of a single room.

When does her IGS run out?

Cooper444
Newly Registered

Post by Cooper444 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Thanks for all your help. Like you say, it looks like bringing the marriage forward is the best option. Her current Visa runs out early Feb 09.

I will look into getting married in her country if it's a lot easier.

Thanks