ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leaving outside the UK on ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dave000
India

Leaving outside the UK on ILR

Post by dave000 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:30 am

Hello there,

This concerns my sister who has had ILR for the last 10+ years. She has been out of the UK for the last three months and plans to live there for a considerable time - From what I know, she will lose her ILR if she is out of the UK for 2 years or more. In that case, would be okay if she comes to the UK every year and stays here for 1 year and returns back? She wants to keep her Indian citizenship and as the circumstances are, she will have to live there for quite some time. Please guide.

Thanks

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Leaving outside the UK on ILR

Post by zimba » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:38 am

ILR is granted for the purpose of settlement in the UK. If you choose to settle somewhere else and spend most of your time there, then the ILR status can be taken from you. If someone with ILR has not returned for more than 24 months then their ILR is automatically lost.

Also, simply travelling for short periods of time to the UK may not maintain your ILR status as per the rules: general-uk-immigration-forum/keeping-il ... l#p2037249
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

dave000
India

Re: Leaving outside the UK on ILR

Post by dave000 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:26 pm

Many thanks zimba. That's very helpful.