ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

FlappyClunge
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by FlappyClunge » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:07 pm

Hey,

I got the address check email.

Is it possible to get rejected at that point of have more documents requested?

Kefeeley
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Kefeeley » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:11 pm

Hey was the adoption registered in Ireland too or just in wales? I’m in a similar situation. Thanks!

Daisy59
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Daisy59 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:08 pm

I called the FBR office in Dublin today to check on the status of my application and was informed that my application for entry onto the FBR was approved on September 30, 2023,and my certificate and supporting documents have just been put in the post!!
My timeline is as follows:
Documents mailed from the US on September 28, 2022, via USPS priority mail.
Documents received email from FBR received on October 7, 2022
Address check email received on July 20, 2023
Heard nothing until I called the FBR office today, October 2, 2023, telling me I was approved on September 30, 2023.
My application was very straightforward, no additional documents were requested, my witness was not contacted, and my mom is an Irish passport holder.
The whole FBR process took 1 year from start to finish.
My sister applied at the same time as me, but separately, and she has not heard a thing since her address check on July 20, 2023. Hopefully, she hears something soon.
Some of the Facebook groups will say that you should be hearing back almost immediately after the address check, but this is untrue. It took me an additional 2.5 months to be approved after the address check, and I never received any notification that I had been approved.

Artwerk
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by Artwerk » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:34 pm

Hi guys

My cousin wants to register through grandparent born in Ireland, but is estranged from his parents.

Would he need to do the affidavit I've seen some people do on here, or if it's through the grandparent he only needs his birth cert, then his Dad's birth cert?

Thanks

FlappyClunge
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by FlappyClunge » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:17 pm

They absolutely need a affidavit

Artwerk
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by Artwerk » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:39 pm

Ok, thanks for the clarification

ceegreen
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ceegreen » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:20 am

I've been working on getting family documents together to apply for my foreign birth registration but the biggest things stopping me so far is that my mom (in the US) can't get a state issued ID. Has anyone had luck using an IDNYC? It's a photo ID with address and DOB issued by New York City (not New York State).

RudyT
Newly Registered
England

Post by RudyT » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:38 pm

I submitted my application on 26/9, documents posted and recorded as delivered on 29/9.

No email confirmation of received application as of yet, does anyone know how long this should normally take after documents are delivered?

jrcby
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by jrcby » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:05 pm

Of course as a pro-European British citizen of Irish descent I'm very glad that Ireland offers this to us, but what does Ireland get out of this? Are there any "strings" attached to citizenship? I remember when I got my US green card there was a line in there saying that should it be required I could be conscripted. I might just be too old for that now should Ireland enforce anything similar :D

Again, this is just a question borne purely out of curiosity - I am very keen to eventually receive my citizenship and passport!

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:54 pm

jrcby wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:05 pm
Of course as a pro-European British citizen of Irish descent I'm very glad that Ireland offers this to us, but what does Ireland get out of this? Are there any "strings" attached to citizenship? I remember when I got my US green card there was a line in there saying that should it be required I could be conscripted. I might just be too old for that now should Ireland enforce anything similar :D

Again, this is just a question borne purely out of curiosity - I am very keen to eventually receive my citizenship and passport!
All states need people as cogs in their national machines. They need their citizens to have babies or immigrants to add to the population. We are outsiders that have a connection to the island so we are not entirely alien & could potentially add to the country since Ireland hasnt exactly been booming. Anything like conscription can only be enforced inside the country, at which point I would use my British passport to escape like a coward.

FlappyClunge
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by FlappyClunge » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:11 pm

jrcby wrote:

Your disgust for democracy is your own issue however, I grew up in Ireland and spent most of my life here. I've contributed enough.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:35 pm

jrcby wrote:
Are there any "strings" attached to citizenship? I remember when I got my US green card there was a line in there saying that should it be required I could be conscripted.
IDK where you're living, but if Ireland has to start drafting people into the military, it probably means things are really tough worldwide.

No, no strings attached.
They do get €278 for the application fee, plus another ~€100 for the passport if you get that.

lst1000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lst1000 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:49 pm

lst1000 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:32 pm
Hi everyone,

I can't believe how much the waiting times have reduced! I've been thinking about applying since I found out I could do it in 2007 but put it off until recently. I applied through one of my three Irish-born grandparents and this is my timeline so far...

Application made online: 21/12/2022
Application received (post tracking): 03/01/2023
Application received (email from DFAT): 05/01/2023
Congratulations Email: 10/10/2023

I received my congratulations email today! I didn't receive an address check email and the email I received said that my application has been successful and that my certificate has been printed and posted by registered mail to the address I provided (perhaps they are no longer doing address checks).

This has been such a great resource and I've been following it regularly trying to estimate when I will get to this stage! I'll post another update when I receive my certificate.

amairead
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amairead » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:28 pm

amairead wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:40 pm
A lovely lady on Facebook shared this site with me after I asked a question in a dual citizen Facebook group. Thank you for all of the helpful information! I'm obviously new here and am trying to get the lay of the land, so please forgive me for any newbie mistakes.

Online Application: December 31, 2022
Documents Received: January 12, 2023
Address Confirmation: ***
Congratulations Email: ***
FBR cert received: ***

I keep seeing people say they updated a google spreadsheet, but I can't seem to find that to add my info. Can someone post a link to it please? Thank you for all of your help!

Congratulations email received today, October 12, 2023! I did not receive an address confirmation, just an FYI. Now off to apply for my passport! Thank you all for such a fantastic resource!

Yasinroni12
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by Yasinroni12 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:58 pm

Hi Dear Sir/ Madam

My question is who approved foreign birth registration Ireland when received it by the department? I was make an application last year July but in process I have no idea. When I email to the department of foreign birth registration department they said me my email just today my application are with entitlement officer in process. That's what they said me. What would I do now? Any idea please thanks

lst1000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lst1000 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:57 pm

lst1000 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:49 pm
lst1000 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:32 pm
Hi everyone,

I can't believe how much the waiting times have reduced! I've been thinking about applying since I found out I could do it in 2007 but put it off until recently. I applied through one of my three Irish-born grandparents and this is my timeline so far...

Application made online: 21/12/2022
Application received (post tracking): 03/01/2023
Application received (email from DFAT): 05/01/2023
Congratulations Email: 10/10/2023

I received my congratulations email today! I didn't receive an address check email and the email I received said that my application has been successful and that my certificate has been printed and posted by registered mail to the address I provided (perhaps they are no longer doing address checks).

This has been such a great resource and I've been following it regularly trying to estimate when I will get to this stage! I'll post another update when I receive my certificate.
Certificate Received: 14/10/2023

Dem799
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Dem799 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:23 am

Hello!

Documentation received 27 October 2022.
A further certified copy of parents ID was requested on 21 August 2023 and sent across via email (as requested) 22 August 2023.

Since then I have not heard a thing; no confirmation that the further documentation was received and when I called the FBR office they said I might not receive an update until after Christmas!

Just really disheartening when the waiting times have decreased so much.

Has anyone else had a similar instance and, if so, how long did it take for you to receive your congratulations email?

Was really hoping this would be completed after around 12 months based on the waiting times going down to 9 months

Newt
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Newt » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:10 am

Hi everyone, the witness (notary) for my irish parent's ID is different than the witness for my ID, photos, and FBR application. Is this a problem?

mm514
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mm514 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:57 pm

I had a similar issue - called the hotline and they confirmed that it's fine to have a new witness!
Newt wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:10 am
Hi everyone, the witness (notary) for my irish parent's ID is different than the witness for my ID, photos, and FBR application. Is this a problem?

mm514
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mm514 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:00 pm

Application Date: Jan 4th, 2023
Documents Received: Jan 16th, 2023
Address Check: Oct 9th, 2023

I thought this was a great sign! But....

Request for additional documents: Oct 11th, 2023 (new witness form and 2 signed photos requested)
Additional documents sent: Oct 12th, 2023

Anyone know if this means I will now be put at the back of the queue and have to wait several more months? I have a job offer pending this citizenship and it's really disheartening!

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:24 pm

Dem799 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:23 am
Hello!

A further certified copy of parents ID was requested on 21 August 2023 and sent across via email (as requested) 22 August 2023.

Since then I have not heard a thing; no confirmation that the further documentation was received and when I called the FBR office they said I might not receive an update until after Christmas!

Has anyone else had a similar instance and, if so, how long did it take for you to receive your congratulations email?

Was really hoping this would be completed after around 12 months based on the waiting times going down to 9 months
I’m not an FBR expert, but eyeballing other messages on this thread over time suggests that congratulations emails tend to come 6 months after additional documents requested. That would fit with the office response of ‘after Christmas’ (August plus 6 months = February)

In the interests of helping others avoid an additional documents request do you know why they requested a second copy of parents’ ID? Did one of those original IDs expire before August or recently? I know they will often ask for ID again if the original copies have an expiry date before FBR is completed.

In any case, here’s hoping you get your congratulations email soon.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:29 pm

mm514 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:00 pm

Request for additional documents: Oct 11th, 2023 (new witness form and 2 signed photos requested)

Anyone know if this means I will now be put at the back of the queue and have to wait several more months? I have a job offer pending this citizenship and it's really disheartening!
Do you happen to know why they’ve asked for a new witness form? Did the original witness get a request from them that they responded to, and is their registration (the qualification to make them eligible as a witness) up to date?

I ask because it could be helpful for others to avoid the dreaded extra document request.

Eyeballing previous messages on this thread suggests that a new witness form (with an eligible witness that gets and replies immediately to their contact) after address check is one instance where additional documents doesn’t always mean a 6 month wait. There seems to be anecdotes of people getting congrats emails within 3 months or less in this instance. Good luck in any case.

mm514
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mm514 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:34 pm

Thanks a lot. Completely my mistake - my original witness came back to sign the photos on another day as we forgot to do that, and she signed the photos on a different date than the date she signed the form - which was a no go.

I have a new witness (I called to check and they said I was allowed). The original witness was never contacted and has now retired, hence the need for a new one.

Thanks for the encouragement - and indeed - the guidance for others is always to make sure the witness does everything in one go!

Vadrar wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:29 pm
mm514 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:00 pm

Do you happen to know why they’ve asked for a new witness form? Did the original witness get a request from them that they responded to, and is their registration (the qualification to make them eligible as a witness) up to date?

I ask because it could be helpful for others to avoid the dreaded extra document request.

Eyeballing previous messages on this thread suggests that a new witness form (with an eligible witness that gets and replies immediately to their contact) after address check is one instance where additional documents doesn’t always mean a 6 month wait. There seems to be anecdotes of people getting congrats emails within 3 months or less in this instance. Good luck in any case.

Dem799
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Dem799 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:04 am

Vadrar wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:24 pm
Dem799 wrote:
Hello!

I’m not an FBR expert, but eyeballing other messages on this thread over time suggests that congratulations emails tend to come 6 months after additional documents requested. That would fit with the office response of ‘after Christmas’ (August plus 6 months = February)

In the interests of helping others avoid an additional documents request do you know why they requested a second copy of parents’ ID? Did one of those original IDs expire before August or recently? I know they will often ask for ID again if the original copies have an expiry date before FBR is completed.

They put in their email:

Unfortunately I cannot proceed with your application without the following documents:

PARENT :

Photocopy of current state-issued ID document (i.e. passport, drivers licence, national identity card) signed by a professional from the list of witnesses as a true copy of the original

I do remember putting the photocopy in, so I can only assume that they have somehow misplaced it or my memory fails me!

When my dad was applying for his passport, they said that his birth certificate had gone missing when he had also sent it through.

Hopefully I get it back soon! I think it’s the radio silence with no confirmation of whether they have even received your return email which is frustrating

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:51 am

Dem799 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:04 am
Vadrar wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:24 pm
Dem799 wrote:
Hello!

They put in their email:

Unfortunately I cannot proceed with your application without the following documents:

PARENT :

Photocopy of current state-issued ID document (i.e. passport, drivers licence, national identity card) signed by a professional from the list of witnesses as a true copy of the original

I do remember putting the photocopy in, so I can only assume that they have somehow misplaced it or my memory fails me!

When my dad was applying for his passport, they said that his birth certificate had gone missing when he had also sent it through.

Hopefully I get it back soon! I think it’s the radio silence with no confirmation of whether they have even received your return email which is frustrating
They do lose documents unfortunately. It sounds however that the parents ID that you supplied is no longer current (even if it was when you submitted it.) They will ask for a resubmission of ID if it has expired before they process it.

Good luck, hope you get it soon.

So for others who are going to apply: worthwhile picking the longest-valid ID you can. Some people even renew ID before applying to get more validity time, but not always possible of course.