ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Social house information

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

e2004alex
Newly Registered
Mood:
Hong Kong

Social house information

Post by e2004alex » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:50 pm

Hi, I come from Hong Kong and use a BNO passport in UK. Could I apply to rent the social house for living in English? because I still find the job. it is hard to find the place to rent. :cry:

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Social house information

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:51 pm

I think it's best to contact your local council's housing department to see what they can do.
Every council has their own rules on this, I believe. Be aware there are normally waiting lists which can be lengthy.
Not familiar what the rules are for those on BNO visa, perhaps this link may give some insight: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/hong-kong-u ... gland-only
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:37 pm

It depends if you have access to public funds, generally the Hong Kong BNO visa does not give access to public funds.

If you don’t have access to public funds then you are subject to immigration control and cannot access social housing unless an exception applies.

See - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... pdf#page33
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

paulKr
Newly Registered
Korea South

Post by paulKr » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:41 pm

One of my friends from HK had applied for the social house successfully.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:37 pm

paulKr wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:41 pm
One of my friends from HK had applied for the social house successfully.
There are many factors taken into account when allocating social housing.

Presumably your friend from HK has not yet been granted ILR. Is that correct? That is not clear from your statement.

For a start, are you sure that it was social housing (i.e. at a social rent) rented out by the local council and not housing rented by a social housing association (such as Peabody, Notting Hill Genesis, etc) at Intermediate Market Rent, which is higher but open to people not on the social housing list.

Is the person (your friend from HK) or their spouse a key worker and/or caring for a child that would otherwise be destitute or with special needs?

@Amber's advice above is correct if the applicant is a BNO visa-holder applying on their own or with only adult dependents, none of whom are key workers.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.