ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I use EEA route? Irish citizen, born Northern Ireland with non EEA Spouse.

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nitram1000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Can I use EEA route? Irish citizen, born Northern Ireland with non EEA Spouse.

Post by nitram1000 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:54 am

Hi everyone , first post.

Quick question!

Am I entitled to use the EEA route?

Me - Irish citizen, Born in Northern Ireland, lived in London for 25 years. (NHS Registered Nurse)

Spouse - Ecuadorian (Doctor)

Relationship started November 2021.

She has visited UK 4 times on tourist visas and I have visited her in Ecuador.

Married July 2023 in USA.

Not sure if I am eligible for EEA route ? Or is UK Spouse visa the better option.

Thanks a lot in advance for any info.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Can I use EEA route? Irish citizen, born Northern Ireland with non EEA Spouse.

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:17 am

As an Irish citizen you have automatic residency but you can also apply for EU Settled Status and then apply for a Family Permit for your wife to join you. This is free.
There are no EEA applications anymore (I think) as EU law doesn’t apply any longer.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

nitram1000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Can I use EEA route? Irish citizen, born Northern Ireland with non EEA Spouse.

Post by nitram1000 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:49 am

Hiya buddy thanks very much the reply.

Do you mind me asking, I had read some info regarding the relationship and that it should have been started before December 2020?

Thanks for any more info

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:04 pm

Apologies, I missed that important bit ..
On the face of it a spouse visa under UK rules seems to be the path to take, then no need for settled status. Unless someone else can give more info regarding EUSS.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

nitram1000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nitram1000 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:20 pm

Ok thanks buddy will wait to see if anyone else chimes in.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:18 pm

nitram1000 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:54 am
Relationship started November 2021.
The crux is here.

"The relationship must have started by 31 December 2020 and must still exist."
https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-ci ... ily-member

Your case does not therefore meet the conditions to apply under the EU route. Your route is the UK spouse route.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

nitram1000
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nitram1000 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:20 pm

Thanks very much for the clarification, I'll get started on the UK spouse visa route then 8)