ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Minor's application based on Irish association

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

spin3210
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Minor's application based on Irish association

Post by spin3210 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:21 pm

Hi,

I and my spouse both have completed 5 years on stamp 1+4, we are going to apply this year for naturalization. My eldest son is 6 now, he moved with us. My daughter received her Irish passport last year (citizen by birth).

I would like to know if it's wise to apply my son's application now based on Irish association, he has already spent 5-years here in Ireland. By the time, we get our naturalization letter (~2-years) my son might get too but on Irish association basis.

I have already searched the forum for possible issues when you apply based on minor's association, e.g. long waiting time and minister's discretion etc. however it would be minor's application instead of an adult.

Thanks

RCCar
Belarus

Re: Minor's application based on Irish association

Post by RCCar » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:24 pm

I don't recommend do this, I advise to wait until you be naturalized, minors applications much faster - form 9 (no ceremony, no e-vetting) and much simpler - 4 pages vs 40.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:26 pm

Does he have an Irish born ancestor that he can prove with continuous documentation? In practice it’s the only viable association route. The Minister can choose to use discretion for other forms of association, but in practice, does not. A sibling is irrelevant for association (in practice.)

RCCar
Belarus

Post by RCCar » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:28 pm

Although you have no Irish association for them:

Please submit copies of all documentation proving your Irish Associations e.g. birth certificates,
foreign birth registry entry, naturalisation certificate. All copies should be certified to be true copies
of original documents.
You have no Irish document like that I suppose

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:43 pm

However, if they do have an Irish association (eg grandparent etc) that you can prove with uninterrupted birth/marriage/death documentation it is worth doing. If approved they’ll get a citizenship that isn’t subject to the 19e restriction (statute number off the top of my head - could be different if my memory failed); that is the requirement to register if living outside of Ireland, if that statue gets re-instated.

Association doesn’t suspend the Irish restriction on subsequent citizenship taken after Irish naturalisation (like FBR does), just the 19e restriction.

spin3210
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by spin3210 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:07 pm

Thanks all for clarifying, appreciated.

I did check on this too here;

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/m ... r-descent/

"Applications based on being the parent or grandparent of an Irish citizen (by ‘ascent’), or the brother or sister of an Irish citizen are generally refused."

Fast-tracking anything in Ireland is kind of dreaming :|