ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration of my newborn as a British Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

abanerje
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Registration of my newborn as a British Citizen

Post by abanerje » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:29 pm

Hi all,

Nice to meet everyone.

While I'm awaiting a decision on my ILR, I just wanted to reach out to the group and get guidance around MN1 online application to register my newborn as a British citizen.

Is there any guide available that can provide step by step guidance around completing the online application? I have looked at the official MN1 guidance pdf however it doesn't talk about the online form and how to go about completing all the sections.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Registration of my newborn as a British Citizen

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:41 pm

Simplest would be start the online application - you can save it without having to complete everything.
https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... 1666111005
If you get stuck come back to this thread and ask.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:42 pm

abanerje wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:29 pm
Hi all,

Nice to meet everyone.

While I'm awaiting a decision on my ILR, I just wanted to reach out to the group and get guidance around MN1 online application to register my newborn as a British citizen.

Is there any guide available that can provide step by step guidance around completing the online application? I have looked at the official MN1 guidance pdf however it doesn't talk about the online form and how to go about completing all the sections.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
Why don't you try filling a dummy form. It should be straightforward. If you have any problems or any queries, then you can ask on this same thread.

Edit: Got beaten to the post 📫.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

abanerje
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by abanerje » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:50 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm if my understanding is correct regarding the process:

My current status: On Skilled Worker Visa; ILR - Attended Biometrics appointment on 12/10/2023; submitted application under 5 day priority. Therefore, expecting my new BRP by end of October.
Nationality: Indian

My son was born in the UK this year in June and currently doesn't have an Indian passport. Therefore, once I've received my new BRP card, can I directly register him as a British citizen via the MN1 online route?

Please confirm. Thank you in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:55 pm

can I directly register him as a British citizen via the MN1 online route?
Yes!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

abanerje
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by abanerje » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:54 am

Question - Who is the applicant on the MN1 form? Is it the parent or the child applying for citizenship?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:57 am

The applicant is the child!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

abanerje
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by abanerje » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:05 pm

Hi all,

Few more questions, please see below:

- 'Have you had settlement in the UK?' (I have just received my ILR and my child was born this year in June)

- 'Enter your name as shown on your passport or travel document. Use the English spelling of your name where provided.
(Required)
The name you give here will be the name shown on your birth certificate. Please make sure it is spelt correctly'
(My child does not have a passport - can we use the information on the birth certificate to respond to this question?)

- 'Have you lived at your current address for 5 years?' (As I mentioned, he was born this year so not sure what to respond here)

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:29 pm

abanerje wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:05 pm
Hi all,

Few more questions, please see below:

- 'Have you had settlement in the UK?' (I have just received my ILR and my child was born this year in June)

- 'Enter your name as shown on your passport or travel document. Use the English spelling of your name where provided.
(Required)
The name you give here will be the name shown on your birth certificate. Please make sure it is spelt correctly'
(My child does not have a passport - can we use the information on the birth certificate to respond to this question?) Yes, you can register to become a British citizen if, when you were born, neither of your parents were British citizens or settled in the UK. You don't need to have a foreign passport for this.

- 'Have you lived at your current address for 5 years?' (As I mentioned, he was born this year so not sure what to respond here)
Stick with the truth and say "NO" (1 week, 1 month, 3 months). It's a normal question. How else do new born kids get passport. The HO can see from Birth cert. and know the rules.

abanerje
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by abanerje » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:36 am

Hi all,

I'm stuck with a few questions on the 'Nationality' section of the form. As a reminder, I'm applying to register my child as a British citizen. He was born this year on 30/06. I have recently obtained my ILR and have Indian citizenship. Please see my queries below:

1. As per the current Indian Citizenship Law - 'A person born outside India on or after 3rd December, 2004 shall not be a citizen of India, unless the parents declare that the minor does not hold passport of another country and his birth is registered at an Indian consulate within one year of the date of birth or with the permission of the Central Government, after the expiry of the said period.'

We haven't registered our child at the Indian Consulate in London. Therefore, is it safe to say he is 'Officially Stateless'?

2. As he was born less than 4 months ago, he does not have any form of ID and as per my understanding, Birth Certificate does not qualify as an ID. Therefore, please can you confirm if the response to the below question is sufficient or shall I add more details?

Q on MN1 form: Explain why you are unable to provide a valid form of identification.
Response: 'The applicant was born this year in the UK on 30th June, 2023 and since then hasn't traveled out of the UK. Therefore, he does not have a travel document example a passport or any other form of identity. '

3. What should be the response to the below question (my current response is 'No' as I'm not an EEA national)

Question on MN1 form: 'Are you relying on your parent's permanent residence (either as an EEA National or the family member of an EEA National) as evidence of their settled status in the United Kingdom?'

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:17 am

abanerje wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:36 am
Hi all,

I'm stuck with a few questions on the 'Nationality' section of the form. As a reminder, I'm applying to register my child as a British citizen. He was born this year on 30/06. I have recently obtained my ILR and have Indian citizenship. Please see my queries below:

1. As per the current Indian Citizenship Law - 'A person born outside India on or after 3rd December, 2004 shall not be a citizen of India, unless the parents declare that the minor does not hold passport of another country and his birth is registered at an Indian consulate within one year of the date of birth or with the permission of the Central Government, after the expiry of the said period.'

We haven't registered our child at the Indian Consulate in London. Therefore, is it safe to say he is 'Officially Stateless'? Nope, you can't state that your child is stateless. Your child is yours and by blood comes from where you're from. Your child is Indian. If you have to leave the UK today, I'm guessing you would be leaving with your child. If there's an immediate need for a passport today, the easiest passport you can get is Indian. 1+1=2

2. As he was born less than 4 months ago, he does not have any form of ID and as per my understanding, Birth Certificate does not qualify as an ID. Therefore, please can you confirm if the response to the below question is sufficient or shall I add more details?

Q on MN1 form: Explain why you are unable to provide a valid form of identification.
Response: 'The applicant was born this year in the UK on 30th June, 2023 and since then hasn't traveled out of the UK. Therefore, he does not have a travel document example a passport or any other form of identity. ' Fair enough.

3. What should be the response to the below question (my current response is 'No' as I'm not an EEA national) correct.

Question on MN1 form: 'Are you relying on your parent's permanent residence (either as an EEA National or the family member of an EEA National) as evidence of their settled status in the United Kingdom?'

abanerje
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by abanerje » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:40 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:17 am
abanerje wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:36 am
Hi all,

We haven't registered our child at the Indian Consulate in London. Therefore, is it safe to say he is 'Officially Stateless'? Nope, you can't state that your child is stateless. Your child is yours and by blood comes from where you're from. Your child is Indian. If you have to leave the UK today, I'm guessing you would be leaving with your child. If there's an immediate need for a passport today, the easiest passport you can get is Indian. 1+1=2

Response: 'The applicant was born this year in the UK on 30th June, 2023 and since then hasn't traveled out of the UK. Therefore, he does not have a travel document example a passport or any other form of identity. ' Fair enough.

3. What should be the response to the below question (my current response is 'No' as I'm not an EEA national) correct.

And regarding referees, I have got in touch with my GP and they have said they don't do referrals. However, I have got referrals from two of my family friends - one of them is a professional teacher in the UK and is a UK citizen too. Another one, is also a friend and is currently settled in the UK (current nationality - India). As I do not know anyone else apart from my GP who has said no, I'm not sure if I can go ahead and submit the application with the above two referees?

Please advise. Thanks.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:45 pm

Note that the teacher is the professional and also happens to be British (not required to be British, but it helps). Now you need another British that doesn't have to be professional . It's frequently discussed here on the forum. The GP's find it hard to give personal information to strangers. You're basically asking the GP to give you their full name, dob, address, passport number etc.
Only someone that knows you and trust you would give you that.

The HO knows this, so no problems in this regards.

abanerje
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by abanerje » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:06 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:45 pm
Note that the teacher is the professional and also happens to be British (not required to be British, but it helps). Now you need another British that doesn't have to be professional . It's frequently discussed here on the forum. The GP's find it hard to give personal information to strangers. You're basically asking the GP to give you their full name, dob, address, passport number etc.

Many thanks for the above reply. Much appreciated :)

I again took a look at the application form and it says the second referee can be of any nationality. Please see below.

Your second referee
Give your second referee's details. This referee must be:
a person of any nationality who has professional standing.

Therefore, can I stick with my 2nd referee or do you advise looking for a British national (I don't know any to be honest)

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:11 pm

abanerje wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:06 pm
Ticktack wrote:

I again took a look at the application form and it says the second referee can be of any nationality. Please see below.

Your second referee

Therefore, can I stick with my 2nd referee or do you advise looking for a British national (I don't know any to be honest)
Ok good, but you have to always read it in entirety, not in bits. Does this 2nd referee (Indian) have a "professional standing" on the list? As you haven't said anythings about that.

abanerje
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by abanerje » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:28 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:11 pm
abanerje wrote:
Ticktack wrote:

Your second referee

Ok good, but you have to always read it in entirety, not in bits. Does this 2nd referee (Indian) have a "professional standing" on the list? As you haven't said anythings about that.
That's a good point. The other referee works for a large tech organisation which is publicly traded. He is working in the capacity of a Senior Product Manager in the company. I did run through the list of allowed professions and found the following one to be the closest match - 'manager or personnel officer of a limited company'. Please can you confirm if the 2nd referee would fall into this bucket? Many many thanks for your kind help.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:35 pm

abanerje wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:28 pm
Ticktack wrote:
abanerje wrote:
Ticktack wrote:

Your second referee

That's a good point. The other referee works for a large tech organisation which is publicly traded. He is working in the capacity of a Senior Product Manager in the company. I did run through the list of allowed professions and found the following one to be the closest match - 'manager or personnel officer of a limited company'. Please can you confirm if the 2nd referee would fall into this bucket? Many many thanks for your kind help.
If the designation says "Manager", then that should be fine. Otherwise the HO would use the teacher as the professional referee and ask you to get anyone else over the age of 25 who is British. Or find another professional of any nationality.

I think you should be fine.

abanerje
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by abanerje » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:56 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:35 pm
abanerje wrote:
Ticktack wrote:
abanerje wrote:
Ticktack wrote:

Your second referee

If the designation says "Manager", then that should be fine. Otherwise the HO would use the teacher as the professional referee and ask you to get anyone else over the age of 25 who is British. Or find another professional of any nationality.

Thank you so much for all your kind help :)

abanerje
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by abanerje » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:55 pm

abanerje wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:56 pm
Ticktack wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:35 pm
abanerje wrote:
Ticktack wrote:
abanerje wrote:
Ticktack wrote:

Your second referee

Thank you so much for all your kind help :)
Thank you for your help so far. Regarding documentation, I'm not sure what to produce for the below requirement -

If Mr xx has a passport then provide this with your application. If Mr xx does not have a passport then you must provide another officially-issued identity document. This
could include an official travel document or national identity card.

As he would have qualified for British citizenship within 4 months of his date of birth, we have not applied for his passport or any other form of identity with the Indian Consulate in London. The requirement mentions 'must provide....'. Therefore, I'm just wondering what do I produce in absence of a passport and other form of identity. Please advise. Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:00 pm

Birth certificate.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

abanerje
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by abanerje » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:26 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:00 pm
Birth certificate.
Thank you! Just checked the MN1 guidance as well - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... t_2023.pdf

Birth certificate should be fine.

abanerje
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by abanerje » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:47 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:00 pm
Birth certificate.
Just checking if I need to include a cover letter covering details of referees such as how do they know the applicant, their job titles, descriptions, etc.?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:56 pm

There’s no such cover letter required. The referees fill and sign the form.