ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post naturalisation for Indian Citizens: What needs to be done before OCI application?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Art87ee
United Kingdom

Post naturalisation for Indian Citizens: What needs to be done before OCI application?

Post by Art87ee » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:44 pm

I'm still waiting for my naturalisation application to be approved, but I would like to plan in advance.

I know that one needs to get a surrender of passport certificate? What else?
Is renunciation a separate process?

akr2500448
Newly Registered

Re: Post naturalisation for Indian Citizens: What needs to be done before OCI application?

Post by akr2500448 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:07 am

I'm literally in the middle of the process (applying for renunciation).

After naturalisation, below is a high level summary of next steps as per my understanding:
1) Book the citizenship ceremony date and collect citizenship certificate on the date from your chosen council
2) Using the naturalisation evidence (citizenship certificate) apply for foreign passport.
3) Apply for surrender of Indian passport online and visit VFS office to submit documents and make payment (takes approx. 8 to 10 working days). Can complete renunciation certificate application online (and make payment online) simultaneously.
3) Once you get your cancelled passport and surrender certificate, book an appointment with the CGI (as you need to wait for the Indian cancelled passport and surrender certificate) applicable to your area and then visit the CGI to apply for citizenship renunciation (approx processing time 60days)
4) Apply for OCI (via VFS)

Art87ee
United Kingdom

Re: Post naturalisation for Indian Citizens: What needs to be done before OCI application?

Post by Art87ee » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:11 pm

akr2500448 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:07 am
I'm literally in the middle of the process (applying for renunciation).

After naturalisation, below is a high level summary of next steps as per my understanding:
1) Book the citizenship ceremony date and collect citizenship certificate on the date from your chosen council
2) Using the naturalisation evidence (citizenship certificate) apply for foreign passport.
3) Apply for surrender of Indian passport online and visit VFS office to submit documents and make payment (takes approx. 8 to 10 working days). Can complete renunciation certificate application online (and make payment online) simultaneously.
3) Once you get your cancelled passport and surrender certificate, book an appointment with the CGI (as you need to wait for the Indian cancelled passport and surrender certificate) applicable to your area and then visit the CGI to apply for citizenship renunciation (approx processing time 60days)
4) Apply for OCI (via VFS)
Thank you so much. Didn't know about step 3 regarding the CGI visit. Not sure why the process is so complicated.

akr2500448
Newly Registered

Post by akr2500448 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:43 am

The Indian high commission started the renunciation of citizenship application recently (in September this year i believe. See link https://services.vfsglobal.com/gbr/en/i ... ew-process) as per which unfortunately requires a visit to your relevant CGI.