ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mm514
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by mm514 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:12 pm

FBR staff member today told me on the phone that processing times have gone up to 12 months again 'due to a backlog'. Anyone else heard this?!

mm514
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mm514 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:12 pm

FBR staff member today told me on the phone that processing times have gone up to 12 months again 'due to a backlog'. Anyone else heard this?!

economush
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by economush » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:34 pm

Hello. I've found this thread so helpful, but I have a couple of questions I'd love to gauge opinions on. We are finally applying for our kids' FBR (they were born in the US and are citizens).

My husband was born in London and has an Irish passport/FBR (lost to time). We've applied for a copy his FBR certificate, but no clue how long that will take. We have all of the materials necessary to apply via my father-in-law (kids' grandad) ready to go. Any advantage to waiting and going through my husband once we get his FBR certificate?

If I'm applying for my TWO children, should I submit their materials in ONE package? Or send two packages?

Best way to send application and materials form the US? USPS? FedEx? DHL?

Thanks in advance if you have any advice. I thought about making a unique post, but it seems as though most FBR comments happen in this thread.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:54 pm

economush wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:34 pm
Hello. I've found this thread so helpful, but I have a couple of questions I'd love to gauge opinions on. We are finally applying for our kids' FBR (they were born in the US and are citizens).

My husband was born in London and has an Irish passport/FBR (lost to time). We've applied for a copy his FBR certificate, but no clue how long that will take. We have all of the materials necessary to apply via my father-in-law (kids' grandad) ready to go. Any advantage to waiting and going through my husband once we get his FBR certificate?

If I'm applying for my TWO children, should I submit their materials in ONE package? Or send two packages?

Thanks in advance if you have any advice. I thought about making a unique post, but it seems as though most FBR comments happen in this thread.
They will request a copy of your husbands FBR if you don’t provide it (irrespective of whether you apply via parent or grandfather)- and the request for additional documents will add 6 months to your processing time. I don’t know what the wait time is for replacement FBR certs- you’d have to do the maths as to whether you apply without it and simultaneously apply for his replacement cert to send on later, or wait until you have a complete package. As a matter of course they want the full family documentation (including eg marriage certs even where names don’t change) as they use each application as a reference document/fraud cross check for related applications- eg later sibling/later descendants/ cousins ets etc.

You can submit both applications together (FBR is unique in that respect) - and it is likely a better idea.

No advice on postage companies sorry.

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:01 pm

economush wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:34 pm

https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... cent-faqs/

Can my sibling and I apply for Foreign Birth Registration jointly?

Yes, you can use the same set of papers and supporting documents for both applications. Just enclose the two separate application forms in one envelope and send it to us with a letter saying that some of the documents apply to both applications. This only applies if you are resident in the same country when applying.

economush
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by economush » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:04 pm

Thanks, corky. I'd searched the site, but didn't see that!

AthyDG
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by AthyDG » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:48 pm

Online Application: November 03, 2022
Documents Received: December 05, 2022
Address Confirmation: September 22, 2023
Congratulations Email: N/A
FBR cert received: N/A

Hi all, first time poster!

Has anyone else noticed there seems to be an increase in the waiting times between confirmation of address and congratulations email? I think I recall a couple of people saying this a few weeks ago – it is almost a month now since I confirmed my address.

The problem this presents for me is that I sent my address confirmation on the assumption that delivery would happen relatively soon (say within the next two months), but I will be moving house potentially as early as late November.

Obviously I will not be able to provide proof of my new address until I have moved, so really I need some confirmation that things are moving pretty soon, otherwise I risk the FBR being sent to an old address.

Not sure what to do about this – anyone else finding that this wait between emails seems to have increased?

amairead
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amairead » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:44 pm

I finally received my FBR certificate today! Just a quick question, if anyone knows please. It's listed as my maiden name and I've had my name changed to my married last name over 20 years ago. Is this because it would have been my birth name? Or is this an error and I need to have it fixed? It says "name in full" not "name at birth" so I want to verify it's supposed to be like that before I apply for my passport. Thanks for any information you have to share!

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:54 pm

amairead wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:44 pm
I finally received my FBR certificate today! Just a quick question, if anyone knows please. It's listed as my maiden name and I've had my name changed to my married last name over 20 years ago. Is this because it would have been my birth name? Or is this an error and I need to have it fixed? It says "name in full" not "name at birth" so I want to verify it's supposed to be like that before I apply for my passport. Thanks for any information you have to share!
It is supposed to be like that. It is an acknowledgement of your birth outside of Ireland (foreign). So in a way an Irish version of your birth certificate as a citizen. Mine has my names at birth which i havent used since childhood & dont even like looking at, but it is what it is :lol: 8)

amairead
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amairead » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:13 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:54 pm
amairead wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:44 pm
It is supposed to be like that. It is an acknowledgement of your birth outside of Ireland (foreign). So in a way an Irish version of your birth certificate as a citizen. Mine has my names at birth which i havent used since childhood & dont even like looking at, but it is what it is :lol: 8)
That's what I thought, but I wanted to double check. Thank you!

amairead
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by amairead » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:17 pm

amairead wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:40 pm
A lovely lady on Facebook shared this site with me after I asked a question in a dual citizen Facebook group. Thank you for all of the helpful information! I'm obviously new here and am trying to get the lay of the land, so please forgive me for any newbie mistakes.

Online Application: December 31, 2022
Documents Received: January 12, 2023
Address Confirmation: ***
Congratulations Email: ***
FBR cert received: ***

I keep seeing people say they updated a google spreadsheet, but I can't seem to find that to add my info. Can someone post a link to it please? Thank you for all of your help!
Update!
Online Application: December 31, 2022
Documents Received: January 12, 2023
Address Confirmation: Did not receive
Congratulations Email: October 12, 2023
FBR cert received: October 18, 2023

Spreadsheet has been updated. Thank you all for your help!

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:52 pm

AthyDG wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:48 pm

Has anyone else noticed there seems to be an increase in the waiting times between confirmation of address and congratulations email? I think I recall a couple of people saying this a few weeks ago – it is almost a month now since I confirmed my address.
I added a column to the spreadsheet for the time from Address Check to Congrats Email.
Column O, Add - Con (days)

By eye, it looks like many happen in ~2 weeks, but plenty are in the 4-8 weeks range.

Link to spreadsheet is in my sig below.

gweedore
Newly Registered
England

Post by gweedore » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:49 am

This is a question for Corky100 and others who could bypass FBR and got their passport directly due to being born abroad and adopted by an Irish citizen.

How can your children become Irish?

For them to become Irish they need to go on FBR, but when you check the box for the Parent Adopted (ie Corky100 and others) on the FBR form, it then has Grandparent on there.

Grandparent of the child applicant, ie Corky100's parent, must be born in Ireland. This box Grandparent section isn't required for people who got citizenship via FBR.

I know Corky100 is an Irish citizen from the moment that he was adopted, so thus his children should be able to apply via FBR as he was Irish when they were born, but the computer says no!

Do you have any ideas as I'm in this situation and I know others who are.

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:27 pm

What's your story / background? I ask as many people come to some rather bizzare conclusions.........

gweedore
Newly Registered
England

Post by gweedore » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:30 am

Thanks Corky,
I would have private messaged you instead of posting above but the 30 message rule.

My grandfather was born in Ireland
My father was born in England
I was born in England and adopted by my father in England.

I have an Irish passport directly from being adopted by an Irish Citizen, no need for FBR.

Thanks again for your insight as to how my son can get on FBR.

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:18 pm

Just for the record, I have made no statement regarding my status, bar being a S.11 INCA citizen.....for a very good reason - Adoptions can get complicated, Irish adoption law is very complicated, and what applies to me may not apply to another.

I assume your adoptive parents were married and you were pre-91?

I know exactly what your asking, no elaboration needed, but if I could ask for some patience, and please stick around. If I could DM, you would go "ah, gotcha".

gweedore
Newly Registered
England

Post by gweedore » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:25 pm

I'm grateful for your reply Corky.
Should I depersonalise my original message, removing your name and making it generic?
It was actually you I really wanted to speak to, but this 30 message DM rule is a problem.

(and yep 1970s adoption, married parents)

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:51 pm

Don't worry about editing previous post etc. Cheers for understanding. Don't worry, I'm not going to dissapear :)

sarzone
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sarzone » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:04 pm

Adding a timeline for everyone's reference as I helped my mother submit her FBR

Submitted: 1 January 2023
Approval e-mail sent: 16 October 2023

All in all about a 10 month processing time. No follow ups were necessary for address confirmation, etc. All handled via solicitor so not sure if that sped up the process or not.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:57 pm

sarzone wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:04 pm

All in all about a 10 month processing time. No follow ups were necessary for address confirmation, etc. All handled via solicitor so not sure if that sped up the process or not.
Sarzone, I think on the 2023 timeline you list your application as naturalisation by descent? Forgive me, and please ignore this question if intrusive, is that an application by association (3 or 5 years residency plus great-grandfather documents) or something else?

(I’m asking here rather than on your timeline post, as chat there not allowed, and not as a standalone post as that seems a bit prominent. )

Congrats for your Mum’s FBR.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:19 am

Vadrar wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:57 pm
sarzone wrote:

Sarzone, I think on the 2023 timeline you list your application as naturalisation by descent? Forgive me, and please ignore this question if intrusive, is that an application by association (3 or 5 years residency plus great-grandfather documents) or something else?
Yes, I want to learn more about that too!
According to the Immigration website, it appears like it's only a reduced residency requirement for naturalization unless there are extenuating circumstances.

sarzone
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sarzone » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:01 pm

GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:19 am
Vadrar wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:57 pm
sarzone wrote:

Yes, I want to learn more about that too!
According to the Immigration website, it appears like it's only a reduced residency requirement for naturalization unless there are extenuating circumstances.
Yes...I've posted about 2 different applications. My mother's (FBR) and my own (naturalization by descent at great grandparent level) Both of my mother's grandparents were natural born Irish citizens, and by law, my grandmother (mother's mother) was Irish by birth, despite never having applied for citizenship herself, since she was born abroad to 2 natural born Irish citizens.

For mine - citzenship by descent - it is basically a workaround to the residency requirement in the application because of my Irish heritage, but it requires additional items that I believe the residency application does not. I have been working with a solicitor to help my case since it's at great-grandparent level instead of grandparent. But I have additional circumstances - I studied abroad at University College Dublin so I have previously lived in Ireland for some time (though I don't currently), and I have a very large community of friends there who have graciously provided references etc. for me. At this descent level, it's advised to add anything possible to the application that will show connections to Ireland, so I included pictures and passport stamps of my visits there (I travel to Ireland very frequently...1-2x a year), along with proof of my membership in Irish American societies, my participation in Irish history and Irish language courses, and of course my college transcripts to prove I went to UCD. I also had to provide the standard birth marriage and death certificates for everyone in my lineage dating back to and including my Irish great grandparents, minimum of 3 references from Irish citizens, and a personal statement of why I want to be an Irish citizen. My solicitor thinks I have a very strong case, but of course, it's still pending, so I hope the Irish government agrees!

Does that help? Happy to answer any more questions if it's helpful.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:17 pm

Thanks @sarzone - appreciate you taking the time to explain. It's super interesting - I've not seen an application by descent before. It sounds like a cross between an association application plus the evidence of personal connection, no doubt helped by the fact that student visas are eligible as reckonable residency now.

I look forward to seeing how your timeline progresses, and good luck!

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:53 pm

Vadrar wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:17 pm
no doubt helped by the fact that student visas are eligible as reckonable residency now.
They aren't, as far as I know, unless it's a young adult case; I wouldn't count Stamp 1G as student visa.
Why do you think that?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:20 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:53 pm
Vadrar wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:17 pm
no doubt helped by the fact that student visas are eligible as reckonable residency now.
They aren't, as far as I know, unless it's a young adult case; I wouldn't count Stamp 1G as student visa.
Why do you think that?
I was thinking of 1G (as we tend to see it used by postgrad students who want to work FT to fund Irish PT study.) But you are likely right - that's an edge case typically and this probably isn't that. In which case it will be very interesting to see how the descent application without reckonable residency is treated.