ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

URGENT HELP- Child Dependent Visa PBS

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mittalkavita
Newly Registered
India

Skilled worker visa - additional information required by UKVI for PBS Child dependent visa

Post by mittalkavita » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:39 am

Dear friends

I hope to find somebody's attention to my request real soon..

I have applied for my visa from India under Skilled Worker category and at the same time applied for my 7yr daughter's with PBS Child dependent visa (we attached parent's consent letter, maintenance for me and dependents agreed by employer). I have received a communication to collect passport (seems they have granted mine). I have received communication from UKVI, regarding my daughter’s application, that she is required to provide evidence and information to support the fact that there are compelling reasons for my daughter to accompany me and her visa being granted.

The UK Decision Making Centre is currently assessing the application submitted by the above named. We are unable to conclude the application at this time as we require additional information.

Your application is being assessed under paragraph SW 30.1 to SW 30.2. The Immigration Rules require that the applicant’s parents must each be either applying at the same time as the applicant or have permission to be in the UK (other than as a visitor) unless:

(a) the parent with permission as a Skilled Worker is the sole surviving parent; or
(b) the parent with permission as a Skilled Worker has sole responsibility for the child’s upbringing; or
(c) the decision maker is satisfied that there are serious and compelling reasons to grant the child entry clearance or permission to stay with the parent who has permission as a Skilled Worker.

You have confirmed your Father has not made an application for leave to enter the UK as they will remain in India. You have also confirmed both your parents have parental responsibility for you.

Please provide any further evidence, information or documents you would like to be considered in line with point (c) above.

My reasons are that my husband is a doctor and his duty hours are not fixed, it is a rolling shift - morning/evening/night. With his given work responsibilities, he spends additional extended hours on critical cases and sometimes his schedules are very unpredictable. The possibility of leaving the child in the home country leads to the scenario where she is not under proper care and there is a risk that there could be emergency work hours for the father, and he is not able to make necessary childcare arrangements or being physically around, for her safety and well-being. We are a nuclear family here and there are no other care arrangements possible in my absence. My daughter is emotionally attached more to me and my husband is also keen to prepare and try for a healthcare visa once he clears exams for International Medical Graduates.

I would be grateful for an advise on the supporting documents/evidence that needs to be submitted. I am thinking of HR letter from my husband's hospital, do we need any lawyer's document, or affidavit??

I would like to ask for help, if there are any examples available to respond to these queries or any points that could help build a strong case for her entry permission. And if there is a possibility for someone to review my additional documents/response (the above para is just indicative, to give a sense of my situation and not the final response).

Grateful for any support or guidance that could be available to deal with their query.

Thanks so much
KM

mittalkavita
Newly Registered
India

URGENT HELP- Child Dependent Visa PBS

Post by mittalkavita » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:48 am

Need super urgent help and advise please-

Applied visa under Skilled Worker category - for self and for 7yr PBS Child dependent visa (we attached parent's consent letter, maintenance for me and dependents agreed by employer). Second parent not applying at this time, due to his permanent job (medical profession), gave consent for child.

Received my visa and communication from UKVI regarding child's application that they are assessing the application and are unable to conclude the application at this time, as they require additional information to provide evidence and information to support the fact that there are compelling reasons for child to accompany me and the visa being granted.

Your application is being assessed under paragraph SW 30.1 to SW 30.2. The Immigration Rules require that the applicant’s parents must each be either applying at the same time as the applicant or have permission to be in the UK (other than as a visitor) unless:
(a) the parent with permission as a Skilled Worker is the sole surviving parent; or
(b) the parent with permission as a Skilled Worker has sole responsibility for the child’s upbringing; or
(c) the decision maker is satisfied that there are serious and compelling reasons to grant the child entry clearance or permission to stay with the parent who has permission as a Skilled Worker.

You have confirmed your Father has not made an application for leave to enter the UK as they will remain in India. You have also confirmed both your parents have parental responsibility for you.

Please provide any further evidence, information or documents you would like to be considered in line with point (c) above.

My reasons are that my husband is a doctor and his duty hours are not fixed, it is a rolling shift - morning/evening/night. With his given work responsibilities, he spends additional extended hours on critical cases and sometimes his schedules are very unpredictable. The possibility of leaving the child in the home country leads to the scenario where she is not under proper care and there is a risk that there could be emergency work hours for the father, and he is not able to make necessary childcare arrangements or being physically around, for child's safety and well-being. We are a nuclear family here and there are no other care arrangements possible in my absence. Child is emotionally attached more to me and my husband is also keen to prepare and try for a healthcare visa once he clears exams for International Medical Graduates.

I would be grateful for an advise on the supporting documents/evidence that needs to be submitted. I am thinking of HR letter from my husband's hospital, do we need any lawyer's document, or affidavit?? Any points that could help build a strong case for her entry permission. Grateful for any support or guidance that could be available to deal with their query.

Thanks so much-KM

secret.simon

Re: URGENT HELP- Child Dependent Visa PBS

Post by secret.simon » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:01 am

mittalkavita wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:48 am
My reasons are that my husband is a doctor and his duty hours are not fixed, it is a rolling shift - morning/evening/night. With his given work responsibilities, he spends additional extended hours on critical cases and sometimes his schedules are very unpredictable. The possibility of leaving the child in the home country leads to the scenario where she is not under proper care and there is a risk that there could be emergency work hours for the father, and he is not able to make necessary childcare arrangements or being physically around, for child's safety and well-being. We are a nuclear family here and there are no other care arrangements possible in my absence. Child is emotionally attached more to me and my husband is also keen to prepare and try for a healthcare visa once he clears exams for International Medical Graduates.

I would be grateful for an advise on the supporting documents/evidence that needs to be submitted. I am thinking of HR letter from my husband's hospital, do we need any lawyer's document, or affidavit?? Any points that could help build a strong case for her entry permission. Grateful for any support or guidance that could be available to deal with their query.
None of this is relevant.

A child born abroad follows the same UK immigration pathway as the second/less privileged parent. If the second parent is not moving to the UK, the child can't either. The work patterns of the second parent are immaterial.

You have two options.
(a) Get legal documented proof that you are solely responsible for the child. That could be a court order, sanctioning an agreement between your husband and you. Be aware that that will complicate any future sponsorship of your spouse by you.
(b) Apply for a dependent visa for your husband and child. Your husband can choose to come to the UK with the child and then return back to his job. This is obviously the more expensive option.

As an aside, who will be looking after the child in the UK?

Also, be aware that the child will only qualify for ILR with the second parent and can only register as a British citizen if both the child and at least one parent has ILR and the other parent has British citizenship.

The long and short of it is that the child needs both parents in the UK for the immigration journey of the child to succeed (assuming no sole responsibility).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mittalkavita
Newly Registered
India

Post by mittalkavita » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:11 pm

Thank you so much for your immediate response.

To your question - who will be looking after the child in the UK? I will be responsible, my salary band is sufficient to take care of us/employer agreed for covering mine and dependent's maintenance in COS. Fixed hour job (hybrid), no OT expected, etc. My siblings are in UK (my sister is a British national, will be living in the same city).

To bring to your notice the point by UKVI -

1. As we have given consent both parents are responsible, will it be considered that going forward only mother will be responsible and what documentary evidence will be required - legal proof of my sole responsibility? can this be supported with a Indian lawyer's statement and an affidavit or needs a court document? Any other documents? NOTE: UKVI has asked to support point (c) and not (b) pertaining sole responsibility.

2. They have just granted my visa and I am still in India, and now if we add Spouse dependent visa, can child's visa be on hold or it will be still be rejected.

3. In case this could apply- My husband's job is with a government hospital/emergency care in India and his field is regulated, if he joins later after clearing exams for international medical graduates (as for now there will not be any suitable job for him)?? Perhaps some proof by enrolling for some exam?

Look forward to your guidance. Thank you!

mittalkavita
Newly Registered
India

Post by mittalkavita » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:13 pm

Thank you so much for your immediate response.

To your question - who will be looking after the child in the UK? I will be responsible, my salary band is sufficient to take care of us/employer agreed for covering mine and dependent's maintenance in COS. Fixed hour job (hybrid), no OT expected, etc. My siblings are in UK (my sister is a British national, will be living in the same city).

To bring to your notice the point by UKVI -

1. As we have given consent both parents are responsible, will it be considered that going forward only mother will be responsible and what documentary evidence will be required - legal proof of my sole responsibility? can this be supported with a Indian lawyer's statement and an affidavit or needs a court document? Any other documents? NOTE: UKVI has asked to support point (c) and not (b) pertaining sole responsibility.

2. They have just granted my visa and I am still in India, and now if we add Spouse dependent visa, can child's current visa application be on hold or it will be still be rejected.

3. In case this could apply- My husband's job is with a government hospital/emergency care in India and his field is regulated, if he joins later after clearing exams for international medical graduates (as for now there will not be any suitable job for him)?? Perhaps some proof by enrolling for some exam?

Look forward to your guidance. Thank you!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:06 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:01 am
mittalkavita wrote:

A child born abroad follows the same UK immigration pathway as the second/less privileged parent. If the second parent is not moving to the UK, the child can't either. The work patterns of the second parent are immaterial.

You have two options.
(a) Get legal documented proof that you are solely responsible for the child. That could be a court order, sanctioning an agreement between your husband and you. Be aware that that will complicate any future sponsorship of your spouse by you.
(b) Apply for a dependent visa for your husband and child. Your husband can choose to come to the UK with the child and then return back to his job. This is obviously the more expensive option.

Also, be aware that the child will only qualify for ILR with the second parent and can only register as a British citizen if both the child and at least one parent has ILR and the other parent has British citizenship.

The long and short of it is that the child needs both parents in the UK for the immigration journey of the child to succeed (assuming no sole responsibility).
Have to disagree with this advice
It is possible to bring a child where the sponsoring parents does not have sole responsibility providing the following conditions are met which is what the caseworker has asked the OP to provide

The OP clearly doesn't have sole responsibility and has already told the decision maker this by stating both parents are responsible and by providing the husband's consent, which she wouldn't need if she had sole responsibility

It's also not advisable for the husband to apply if he has no intention to join the family if this becomes apparent when the family only ever seek entry without him as they could refuse entry if they realise the father is not and will not be joining you

OP - these sorts of cases are unpredictable - all you can do is explain the situation as you have done - with evidence of your husband's employment and work pattern. I've seen similar cases be granted but others refused.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:07 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:01 am
mittalkavita wrote:

You have two options.

Have to disagree with this advice
It is possible to bring a child where the sponsoring parent does not have sole responsibility providing the following conditions are met and which is what the caseworker has asked the OP to provide evidence of

The OP clearly doesn't have sole responsibility and has already told the decision maker this by stating both parents are responsible and by providing the husband's consent, which she wouldn't need if she had sole responsibility so she can't provide evidence of this

It's also not advisable for the husband to apply if he has no intention to join the family if this becomes apparent when the family only ever seek entry without him as they could refuse entry if they realise the father is not and will not be joining you

OP - these sorts of cases are unpredictable - all you can do is explain the situation as you have done - with evidence of your husband's employment and work pattern. I've seen similar cases be granted but others refused.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:19 pm

Greenie wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:07 pm
That was not my advice.

My advice was for the husband to apply for a spouse visa, use that to accompany the child (and the OP if they travel at the same time) to the UK, then return back to their country of habitual residence.

That will also have the benefit of starting the husband's immigration clock, if they decide to continue on the PBS dependent route for the husband in two years time.
Greenie wrote:
It is possible to bring a child where the sponsoring parent does not have sole responsibility providing the following conditions are met and which is what the caseworker has asked the OP to provide evidence of

I will emphasise the words "serious and compelling reasons".

If I were a caseworker, I would not regard the fact that the husband is so busy as to not be able to look after the child as "serious and compelling". There can be extended family members who can help out or the husband working locally and OP working from the UK can hire a child carer. There needs to be a stronger reason than that to meet the "serious and compelling" requirement.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mittalkavita
Newly Registered
India

Post by mittalkavita » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:10 am

Thanks Greenie and secret.simon for your advise.

I kind of feel the sole responsibility may not apply in our case now and might give the impression that we are concluding this for the application's sake. Also, we might have to focus on 'serious and compelling reasons' or think of document to prove he intends to apply for a visa gradually (after clearing exams). With his current government employment and his professional restrictions on working in the same field (he needs equivalency exams), it is better that he applies when the time is right. Even if he makes an application, we add it now (we even decide him to accompany us), he will have to come back for a bit to wrap the things here? if only it is advised that this is absolutely necessary for application to get approved. is it a good idea to file spouse dependent visa and submit his application number in the response?

Also, it is not about the father being extra busy to take care of the child, it is more about the work schedules due to which we cannot rely on the father's exclusive child care responsibilities back home. Hiring caretakers in India is again a risk, with so many reports on child neglect and abuse. And extended family members are not in the same town and can't be responsible for a child, when it is not a short term need. At the same time my visa is currently around four-years so not sure what will happen after that..

I wonder these rules are not specified upfront under eligibility criteria and misleads applicants. (I also understand it is applicants responsibility to read, but there was no such clause or need for documentary evidence while submitting the application) I wonder how the best interest of a child is judged, when you grant a visa to the mother and expect child to stay away and leave the child with father (by this the child is going to be with one parent in any case) When parent has given consent, and we have adequate funds to cover her, this should be more of family decision.. If this does not happen, it is going to be a big monetary hit considering it is not possible for me to go without her. I have been a primary care giver for all these years for my daughter, given his duty schedules, and managing her daycare and sleep routine, it is going to affect her big time in my absence. I hope this is considered as an impact on child's well-being.

I just hope we have some extra guidance on how to make our case stronger to fit their criteria of 'serious and compelling reasons'. Any additional document or evidence can help? Please suggest. Thanks once again!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:56 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:19 pm
Greenie wrote:
That was not my advice.

My advice was for the husband to apply for a spouse visa, use that to accompany the child (and the OP if they travel at the same time) to the UK, then return back to their country of habitual residence.

That will also have the benefit of starting the husband's immigration clock, if they decide to continue on the PBS dependent route for the husband in two years time.
Greenie wrote:

I will emphasise the words "serious and compelling reasons".

If I were a caseworker, I would not regard the fact that the husband is so busy as to not be able to look after the child as "serious and compelling". There can be extended family members who can help out or the husband working locally and OP working from the UK can hire a child carer. There needs to be a stronger reason than that to meet the "serious and compelling" requirement.
Yes and if the father obtains the spouse visa, enters once and then immediately returns back home and doesn't join the family to live here during the course of the visa this could still have the same impact if this comes to the attention of ukvi (eg at the border at some point or when they come to extend. Although this does of course depend on when the husband would join them (that's not clear from the post)

In addition to this the OP has already "played her hand" so the husband now applying may cause them to question the motives etc

OP the following article may be useful to you.https://freemovement.org.uk/sole-respon ... %9D%20test.

You need to focus on how your child being able to join you is in their best interests given your particular family circumstances. If your husband does intend to come here eventually by all means mention this so as to emphasise the temporary nature of the arrangement. There is little guidance around this but I would say if you actually attempt to set out how your husband would be unable to adequately care for the child given his profession and how separation from you as her primary caregiver ( I assume if your husbands work pattern is as it is) would impact on the child you may have a chance. What's not clear is when your husband would be ready to join you - are we talking months or years?

mittalkavita
Newly Registered
India

Post by mittalkavita » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:08 am

My husband would be able to join us in about an year's time (once he enrolls and clears a part of medical exams/dates to enroll are not open yet or enroll for a one-year master prog (plan B) mostly those are September-24 intake), describing the timeline as about an year in the cover note is a good idea?

Also, from childcare perspective - there are occasions when my daughter wakes-up (due to nightmares) and looks only for me.. is it a point worth mentioning or it will complicate further? What's my best bet on the supporting evidence? beyond HR Document stating his duty schedule and job responsibilities.. any suggestion on additional documents? or any other proof that can help substantiate our situation.

Grateful for all your help!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:37 pm

There is an expectation / presumption that dependent children travel in the the family group to the U.K. or they are left in the country of origin. Where children are being split from their other parent in order to move to the U.K. then the caseworker must consider the three the points put to you in the further enquiry letter.

All the emotional points you have set out, bluntly they add no value and in fact add weight to the child not being granted permission to travel. As a family you have decided to split up in order to pursue employment in the U.K. in doing so you have created a situation that places the wellbeing and safeguarding of the child at potential risk.

All the Home Office is clarifying is that there is a legal reason for your child to be separated from her father and/or that you have sole responsibility for their care. Neither of these points are explained in any acceptable manner.

The exceptional and compelling argument that you have put forward is not going to readily make the threshold.

Boiled down it very much looks like you want to get to the U.K. in advance of your husband who may at some point in the future, qualify to be a Doctor in the U.K. and may migrate. All at the expense of waiting a year and keeping your family together.

mittalkavita
Newly Registered
India

Post by mittalkavita » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:48 am

Thanks for your response. My situation is now very complicated now and a genuine case of concern of my child's well-being considering there is no other reliable child care options with us. Honestly, my bad, I was not aware of this condition and made a self-application without consulting any firms, relying on the eligibility criteria mentioned upfront (without reading the full guidance document) . The mandatory parental consent letter was submitted stating all the particulars. It not possible to withdraw the applications and we really do not have an option of not going together. Therefore, I am seeking guidance on how and what evidence could be added here given the reasons we have and put it forward under compelling circumstances.. if any child's sole physical custody letter from my husband can help (we have stated that we are biological parents and share legal custody of the child in our parental consent letter and at this point if we put forward a mutual consent/agreement) Or a lawyers letter from India to this effect? If someone out there ever experience a situation under serious and compelling circumstance? And help on documentary evidence guidelines. Thanks in advance!

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:21 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mittalkavita
Newly Registered
India

Post by mittalkavita » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:21 am

This is to update that my child's visa is refused. It is concluded for the reason that this is not a case of sole responsibility and that child can re-apply with father.

So now if we apply for both spouse and child dependent visa (sooner than we actually planned), is there any other requirement of the documents in addition to what is stated under the eligibility - relationship proof, funds (covered by the sponsor), address proof, TB certificate. My questions are:
  • Is there any requirement of additional evidence of resignation/leave letter from current job (my spouse is employed within a government department in India).
  • Since my visa is granted (I haven't made any entry yet, and we all plan to travel together, once their visa is granted) and their applications will be submitted new, will this be counted as a part of same application?
  • Any additional maintenance or savings required, given in the COS maintenance for migrant and dependents certified by the employer.
Grateful for your help and advise.
Kind regards

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:30 am

mittalkavita wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:21 am
This is to update that my child's visa is refused. It is concluded for the reason that this is not a case of sole responsibility and that child can re-apply with father.

So now if we apply for both spouse and child dependent visa (sooner than we actually planned), is there any other requirement of the documents in addition to what is stated under the eligibility - relationship proof, funds (covered by the sponsor), address proof, TB certificate. My questions are:
  • Is there any requirement of additional evidence of resignation/leave letter from current job (my spouse is employed within a government department in India). Never heard of such a requirements
  • Since my visa is granted (I haven't made any entry yet, and we all plan to travel together, once their visa is granted) and their applications will be submitted new, will this be counted as a part of same application?
No as your own application is concluded, however you do need to provide your granted visa vignette and employer documents e.g. CoS as reference.
  • Any additional maintenance or savings required, given in the COS maintenance for migrant and dependents certified by the employer.
No
Grateful for your help and advise.
Kind regards

mittalkavita
Newly Registered
India

Post by mittalkavita » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:55 am

Thank you @AmazonianX

Also, if someone can guide me on the requirement of a cover note for the Child Dependent Visa (as the first application was refused), do I need to attach any letter stating any reason or anything that can have a positive impact? Or it's not really required?

In terms of timelines, the previous application was rejected a few days back - how much ideal gap should be planned for the fresh application? Does the timing between applications matter? Or can I make another application anytime soon?

In the previous application of the child, we tried for serious and compelling reasons, as initially, father did not submit his application (and we explained that he cannot travel right now). And if we make the application for father now along with the child, will this be seen differently/suspiciously?

Any thoughts on whether there is still risk or it could be a simple successful grant. Or is there any other route possible which could be less risky?

Thanks once again!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:18 am

mittalkavita wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:55 am
Thank you @AmazonianX

Also, if someone can guide me on the requirement of a cover note for the Child Dependent Visa (as the first application was refused), do I need to attach any letter stating any reason or anything that can have a positive impact? Or it's not really required? This is solely to address any concerns raised in previous application that was refused.

In terms of timelines, the previous application was rejected a few days back - how much ideal gap should be planned for the fresh application? Does the timing between applications matter? No Or can I make another application anytime soon? Yes

In the previous application of the child, we tried for serious and compelling reasons, as initially, father did not submit his application (and we explained that he cannot travel right now). And if we make the application for father now along with the child, will this be seen differently/suspiciously? No

Any thoughts on whether there is still risk or it could be a simple successful grant. Or is there any other route possible which could be less risky? There is no absolute guarantee for certain outcome for any application.

Thanks once again!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:01 am

There is one inescapable point - the credibility of changing from your previous stated position. This will generate a much higher level of scrutiny and no matter what you state as the new circumstances there is the possibility the visa will still be refused. Please manage your expectations on that basis.

I can not honestly wish you well because you are fully intending to misrepresent the truth and while there is scope within the law to allow your spouse to return and work in India, it seriously impacts the welfare of your child.

Megamma
Newly Registered
India

Post by Megamma » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:49 pm

It is possible to bring your child with you even if your partner is not travelling with you.I got visa for my 7year old daughter.You need 2consent letters.One from child's father stating that he has no issues in sending the child with mother and mother have adequate funds to support the child and has found a private accommodation for the child.
The second consent letter should be from the mother that you are solely responsible for your child.You can consult some agency to get the format of the letter.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:27 am

Megamma wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:49 pm
The second consent letter should be from the mother that you are solely responsible for your child.You can consult some agency to get the format of the letter.
Sole responsibility is not as simple as submitting a letter.
Appendix Children caseworker guidance wrote:Sole parental responsibility
Sole parental responsibility means that one parent is unknown or has abdicated or abandoned parental responsibility, and the other parent is exercising sole control in setting and providing the day-to-day direction and care for the child’s welfare.

In assessing whether the applicant has sole parental responsibility for a child, you must consider any evidence provided to show that:

decisions have been taken and actions performed in relation to the upbringing of the child under the sole direction of one parent

only one parent is responsible for the child’s welfare and for what happens to them in key areas of the child’s life, and the other parent does not share this responsibility for the child

one parent has sole responsibility for:
  • making decisions regarding the child’s education, health and medical treatment, religion, residence, holidays and recreation
  • protecting the child and providing them with appropriate direction and guidance
If this evidence is not provided with the application, you can contact the applicant to request it.

Note that:

sole responsibility is not the same as sole legal custody - a parent may have sole legal custody for a child where the other parent is still involved in the child’s life

making significant or even sole financial provision for a child does not in itself demonstrate sole parental responsibility

where both parents are involved in the child’s upbringing, it will be rare for one parent to establish sole parental responsibility

sole parental responsibility can be recent or long-standing – any recent change of arrangements should be scrutinised to make sure you are satisfied this is genuine. If you think it necessary, you should contact both the applicant’s parents for more information

It is unrealistic for a child to have contact with no other adult other than the parent exercising sole parental responsibility. The child is likely to have contact with other adults, including relatives, and they may provide some element of care for the child, either generally or specifically such as taking the child to school. Actions of this kind that include looking after the child’s welfare may be shared with others who are not parents, for example, relatives or friends, who are available in a practical sense, providing the parent has sole overall responsibility for the welfare of the child.

You are not considering whether the child’s parent (or anyone else) has day-to-day responsibility for the child, but whether the parent has continuing sole control and direction of the child’s upbringing, including making all the important decisions in the child’s life. If not, then they do not have sole parental responsibility for the child. You must carefully consider each application on a case-by-case basis. The burden of proof is on the applicant to provide satisfactory evidence that a parent has sole parental responsibility.

For entry clearance cases, it may be necessary to use local intelligence relating to the applicant’s home country or location to advise on what evidence you should expect to see, or what is likely to be available that you could reasonably ask for, as well as how much weight to give to particular types of evidence. Country-specific information can be found in the country of origin information or via the relevant UK embassy or high commission staff.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:52 am

Megamma wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:49 pm
It is possible to bring your child with you even if your partner is not travelling with you.I got visa for my 7year old daughter.You need 2consent letters.One from child's father stating that he has no issues in sending the child with mother and mother have adequate funds to support the child and has found a private accommodation for the child.
That boat has sailed - perhaps if the route above had been taken initially there might have been the possibility of the visa being granted. Given the refusal and trying to reapply it will not be a simple matter of here is a couple of letters, job done.

Megamma
Newly Registered
India

Post by Megamma » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:54 am

Most agencies told me that it is impossible to travel alone with my child to UK.But one agency helped me with the letters and I submitted mother's consent letter, father's consent letter, husband's passport copy, marriage certificate, child's birth certificate and my child got entry clearance with me last year.
I also received an email from home office to submit husband's visa or to submit court order that I have sole responsibility.But after sending an email that my child comes under the section 34.1 not 34.2 the issue got cleared.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:18 am

Megamma wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:54 am
But after sending an email that my child comes under the section 34.1 not 34.2 the issue got cleared.
Can you clarify what are Sections 34.1 and 34.2?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Ahmd_64
United Kingdom

Post by Ahmd_64 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:28 pm

CHI 3.1. Where the application is for entry clearance or permission to stay, the applicant must be the child of a parent (P) where one of the following applies:
(a) P has permission on the same route the applicant is applying for; or
(b) P is, at the same time, applying for (and is granted) entry clearance or permission on the same route the applicant is applying for; or
(c) P is settled or has become a British citizen, providing P previously had permission on the same route the applicant is applying for and the applicant had permission as P’s child at that time or was born since P’s last grant of permission and before P settled; or
(d) P is settled or has become a British citizen, providing P had permission on the UK Ancestry route when they settled and the applicant is applying on the UK Ancestry route.
CHI 3.2. The applicant’s parents must each be either applying at the same time as the applicant or have permission to be in the UK (other than as a Visitor) unless:
(a) the parent applying for or with entry clearance or permission to stay is the sole surviving parent or has sole responsibility for the child’s upbringing; or
(b) the parent who does not have permission:
(i) is a British citizen or a person who has a right to enter or stay in the UK without restriction; and
(ii) lives, or intends to live, in the UK; or
(c) the decision maker is satisfied that there are serious and compelling reasons to grant the applicant entry clearance or permission to stay with the parent who is applying for or has entry clearance or permission or who is covered by CHI 3.2.(b).

Current guidance from “Dependent family members in work routes Version 12.0”, reads:-

“As with all decisions involving children, you must consider the best interests of the child and your safeguarding responsibilities in the spirit of s55 of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009, in particular that the parent who is not coming to the UK has given their written permission and that care arrangements are suitable.”

Above is Policy and Second (Version 12) is Guidance.
How can both work with each other then?