ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Re-Entry Ireland on extended Stamp 1

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

antonyS
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re-Entry Ireland on extended Stamp 1

Post by antonyS » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:48 pm

Hi all,
I am going to re-entry Ireland on 10th November but my IRP Stamp 1 is expiring on 16th November. I have asked for extension of Stamp 1 in my local immigration office amd the officer gave me extension (stamp on passport) until 1st January 2024.

I also just got my letter of support for stamp 4 yesterday, bit can't secure any appointment before I have to go to my holiday. Will there be any problem re-entering Ireland using my current IRP stamp 1 card (which has close expire date) or using the extension I got on the passport?

meself2
Ireland

Re: Re-Entry Ireland on extended Stamp 1

Post by meself2 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:09 pm

If your IRP is in date, you're fine.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

antonyS
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by antonyS » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:47 pm

Thanks! I think most of this is just my anxiety talking. Thanks again for confirming it would be fine!

antonyS
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by antonyS » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:02 pm

I saw from this post: ireland/travelling-back-to-ireland-clos ... l#p2036843

That if you request renewal online, you might get trouble with the system on the border? I assume that's the renewal process for Dublin area only?

I lived on Athlone, and have emailed the immigration office that I want to apply for Stamp 4, but they only get back to me asking my address and contact number, which I gave, but they haven't replied to me since. I assume they can't change their system until I actually arrived to the office when I got the appointment, can they?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:29 pm

antonyS wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:02 pm
That if you request renewal online, you might get trouble with the system on the border?
It's not the request to renew online, it's completion of the process.
In Dublin you get IRP renewed online, without any sort of appointment - technically, you could be in a situation where IRP is sent to you when you're abroad, which is what littlerr is referring to.

Since you receive IRP on/after appointment (not sure how the system works there), you'll be fine.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:03 pm

antonyS wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:02 pm
I saw from this post: ireland/travelling-back-to-ireland-clos ... l#p2036843

That if you request renewal online, you might get trouble with the system on the border? I assume that's the renewal process for Dublin area only?

I lived on Athlone, and have emailed the immigration office that I want to apply for Stamp 4, but they only get back to me asking my address and contact number, which I gave, but they haven't replied to me since. I assume they can't change their system until I actually arrived to the office when I got the appointment, can they?
Hi,

Incase you go for the appointment before your travel date the immigration officer will keep your old IRP which means your travel won't be possible until you receive your new IRP by then.

The stamp on your passport is not valid outside Ireland. You will need a physical IRP to be able to board flight back.

*In Dublin renewals are made online so until you receive an approval email the card is still valid which means some receive approval after they are out of the country but they can still enter if they show approval email/letter plus old IRP. They are fortunate to keep the old IRP because they do not attend an appointment.

White_Pearl
Ireland

Post by White_Pearl » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:49 am

Hi

During your appointment you can request to keep your current irp card for travel purposes. Once you are back in ROI you can surrender it.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:54 am

White_Pearl wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:49 am
Hi

During your appointment you can request to keep your current irp card for travel purposes. Once you are back in ROI you can surrender it.
That will be impossible for travel after his appointment because during his appointment the Garda officer will order for his new IRP and the old IRP will be cancelled at the spot. You can not travel with a cancelled/old IRP.

The Dublin online renewals is different and even after applying online approval can take weeks so the applicant can still use the old IRP until approval unlike direct with the Garda where approval is during the appointment.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:59 am

Angel99 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:54 am
That will be impossible for travel after his appointment because during his appointment the Garda officer will order for his new IRP and the old IRP will be cancelled at the spot. You can not travel with a cancelled/old IRP.
I'll be frank, this is debatable.

By that logic, does it mean a person is in country without a valid residence permit between surrending old IRP and getting new one?
Also, if IRP still hasn't expired, how would airline know that this specific IRP is not valid when boarding someone on a plane?

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:12 am

meself2 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:59 am
Angel99 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:54 am
I'll be frank, this is debatable.

By that logic, does it mean a person is in country without a valid residence permit between surrending old IRP and getting new one?
Also, if IRP still hasn't expired, how would airline know that this specific IRP is not valid when boarding someone on a plane?
The IRP has an R with numbers on the top. This is updated when you renew your card. There is also GNIB number/registration number at the back which also carries your status. The airline scans your card and they have a sort of system to see if your residence permit card is valid. They don't just check the dates.

When you are in EU and you renew your Residence permit, even without the physical card any police or immigration officer can check if you are legal in EU. They have a shared system. So if you are in the country which issued you the card it's even easier to confirm your status.

When you renew your residence permit and you are employed, you either show your employer your permission letter plus appointment date or payment receipt to continue your employment.

antonyS
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by antonyS » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:44 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies, I didn't get an appointment yet from my local Immigration in Athlone, and I'm travelling today, so I'm using my Stamp 1 IRP card that's still valid for now. Hopefully I got appointment for stamp 4 soon after I arrive back in Ireland