ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

meself2
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by meself2 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:32 pm

Vadrar wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:20 pm
meself2 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:53 pm
Vadrar wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:17 pm
no doubt helped by the fact that student visas are eligible as reckonable residency now.
They aren't, as far as I know, unless it's a young adult case; I wouldn't count Stamp 1G as student visa.
Why do you think that?
I was thinking of 1G (as we tend to see it used by postgrad students who want to work FT to fund Irish PT study.) But you are likely right - that's an edge case typically and this probably isn't that. In which case it will be very interesting to see how the descent application without reckonable residency is treated.
There was a case of someone on the forums who applied with Irish associations (cannot find the link) and reckonable residence of 3 years; in the end he came to a conclusion that his application was just in the system for 2 extra years to give him that residence. I don't know if OP resides in Ireland now, so this decision might not help, but worst that could happen - OP loses their 200 euro. Worth a try.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:48 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:32 pm
Vadrar wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:20 pm
meself2 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:53 pm
Vadrar wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:17 pm
no doubt helped by the fact that student visas are eligible as reckonable residency now.
They aren't, as far as I know, unless it's a young adult case; I wouldn't count Stamp 1G as student visa.
Why do you think that?
I was thinking of 1G (as we tend to see it used by postgrad students who want to work FT to fund Irish PT study.) But you are likely right - that's an edge case typically and this probably isn't that. In which case it will be very interesting to see how the descent application without reckonable residency is treated.
There was a case of someone on the forums who applied with Irish associations (cannot find the link) and reckonable residence of 3 years; in the end he came to a conclusion that his application was just in the system for 2 extra years to give him that residence. I don't know if OP resides in Ireland now, so this decision might not help, but worst that could happen - OP loses their 200 euro. Worth a try.
Yes - we did a little bit of research and essentially found, for practical purposes, association applications with 3 years only residency were sat on, untouched, for two years. At the 5 year mark the applicants then get requests for 5 years of residency proof aligned to the current proof model and were then processed at that point. There were some exceptions, but even these seem to be drying up. The published 30 month association processing time seems to align with this approach too (and is in contrast to the processing times for 5 year association applications which appear to match a standard 5 year application). The lawyers we deal with have now said they won't submit a 3 year association application, but will only work with 5 year residency applications for association applications. We've followed suit and push back on assoc applications without the 5 years.

The OP doesn't live in Ireland, which is why I'm interested in the interplay of descent with/out reckonable residency as compared to what increasingly looks like a fairly clear trend that association without 5 years doesn't fly. I have no experience with descent, which is why I'm curious as to how it will play out.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:31 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:32 pm
but worst that could happen - OP loses their 200 euro. Worth a try.
They'll also be out the thousands of euros they paid the solicitor.

I'm aware there are less than scrupulous firms who will make grand promises about what they can do and their success rate, but that don't really align with reality. (I don't think we're allowed to name those firms on this forum.)

@sarzone's case does seem stronger than the typical "I've never even visited and I have no connection other than that my great-grandparent was born there so I'm going to apply for citizenship by association" post that comes up semi-regularly on the IrishCitizenship subreddit. I do genuinely wish them luck.

IMO this discretionary power to grant citizenship by association is for things like; a child living in Ireland who might otherwise be stateless; billionaire philanthropist Chuck Feeney; or maybe for Biden after he retires, because he said "Mayo for Sam!" when he visited Ballina and if they want to have a nice ceremony with tea and biscuits after.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:44 pm

GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:31 pm
They'll also be out the thousands of euros they paid the solicitor.
Missed out that part, my bad.

This, while being a bit of a more stronger case, still has all the potential to fail; they somehow need to persuade Minister that their connection is extremely significant, while not living in Ireland even. If thet succeed - great, but I won't be very willing to pay money to a solicitor for hope, as there's no magic definition of "association" that solicitors can help with, it's what it says, by discretion.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Ironlung
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ironlung » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:35 pm

Some new timings:

Documents received: 9th Feb 2023
Further documents required email: 25th October 2023

'A new application form will be required as the dates between you and witness are different. Please ensure you sign and date in the presence of you witness. I have attached the new application form, this will need to be printed and completed.

The form will need to be completed by you and your witness and we will require 4 new passport size photos and ID that will need to be certified by the same witness as your form.'

And there's an address for the 'Foreign Births Registration Returns Section' that I'm to send them too.
Mildly annoying to have to go get new photos, go back to the witness etc but I'm in no huge rush.

I'm assuming this adds another six months on?

Matt_UK
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Matt_UK » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:39 pm

Ironlung wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:35 pm
Some new timings:

'A new application form will be required as the dates between you and witness are different. Please ensure you sign and date in the presence of you witness. I have attached the new application form, this will need to be printed and completed.

The form will need to be completed by you and your witness and we will require 4 new passport size photos and ID that will need to be certified by the same witness as your form.'

And there's an address for the 'Foreign Births Registration Returns Section' that I'm to send them too.
Mildly annoying to have to go get new photos, go back to the witness etc but I'm in no huge rush.

There or thereabouts based on current timeframes.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:38 pm

Ironlung wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:35 pm
Some new timings:

Yes. Any request for the extra documents required will set the processing back about 6 months. Did you not sign & date the application/ photos at the same time as the witness? That is the whole purpose of them being a "witness".

Emisirish
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Emisirish » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:26 pm

Hello all,

My timeline is as below;
Application made;
DEC2022

Request for new documents: Oct 2023

I had submitted my mothers father (maternal grandparent) and used my father instead of my mother for the link, not realising my errror. Which of course none of this is clear from the department. I made a new application based on my mothers details. For context all grandparents born in ireland. Both myself, my brother and my parents were born in UK. My parents have irish passports. I have lived in Ireland for 20 years +. The fact that I have to go through FBR is just insane my heritage is as clear and strong as anything. I was just born in another country.
I sent off my updated documents and photos: late october 2023.

Given all this do you think I am looking at a 6 month waiting period now?
With thanks for any replies.

TerrorBirdBlues
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by TerrorBirdBlues » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:02 am

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had any contact details for the FBR service. My sister, who has already applied, is pregnant with her first child and wants to see if she can expedite her application so that she can have her FBR certificate before the baby is born.

She's tried calling the number quoted on the FBR page constantly and, when it doesn't just instantly cut-off, they keep saying the line's closed and to call back later. Is there any other way to contact the FBR team so that they can take a look at her application sooner rather than later?

I think as of right now she's likely to be successful at the same time as her due date and she's justifiably worried that her child may miss it by just a few days or weeks.

Thanks for any help

Dem799
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Dem799 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:46 am

Vadrar wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:51 am
Dem799 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:04 am
Vadrar wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:24 pm
Dem799 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:23 am
Hello!

Documentation received 27 October 2022.
A further certified copy of parents ID was requested on 21 August 2023 and sent across via email (as requested) 22 August 2023.

Since then I have not heard a thing; no confirmation that the further documentation was received and when I called the FBR office they said I might not receive an update until after Christmas!

Just really disheartening when the waiting times have decreased so much.

Has anyone else had a similar instance and, if so, how long did it take for you to receive your congratulations email?

Was really hoping this would be completed after around 12 months based on the waiting times going down to 9 months
I’m not an FBR expert, but eyeballing other messages on this thread over time suggests that congratulations emails tend to come 6 months after additional documents requested. That would fit with the office response of ‘after Christmas’ (August plus 6 months = February)

In the interests of helping others avoid an additional documents request do you know why they requested a second copy of parents’ ID? Did one of those original IDs expire before August or recently? I know they will often ask for ID again if the original copies have an expiry date before FBR is completed.

In any case, here’s hoping you get your congratulations email soon.
They put in their email:

Unfortunately I cannot proceed with your application without the following documents:

PARENT :

Photocopy of current state-issued ID document (i.e. passport, drivers licence, national identity card) signed by a professional from the list of witnesses as a true copy of the original

I do remember putting the photocopy in, so I can only assume that they have somehow misplaced it or my memory fails me!

When my dad was applying for his passport, they said that his birth certificate had gone missing when he had also sent it through.

Hopefully I get it back soon! I think it’s the radio silence with no confirmation of whether they have even received your return email which is frustrating
They do lose documents unfortunately. It sounds however that the parents ID that you supplied is no longer current (even if it was when you submitted it.) They will ask for a resubmission of ID if it has expired before they process it.

Good luck, hope you get it soon.

So for others who are going to apply: worthwhile picking the longest-valid ID you can. Some people even renew ID before applying to get more validity time, but not always possible of course.
Thank you so much! It was definitely still valid as it’s the same ID that I sent another copy over - I think maybe I need to quadruple check all the documents next time.

Congratulations email finally received today. Timeline as follows:-

Documents received: 27 October 2022.
A further certified copy of parents ID was requested on 21 August 2023 and sent across via email (as requested) 22 August 2023.
Congratulations email: 1 November 2023

Dem799
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Dem799 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:49 am

Vadrar wrote:
Dem799 wrote:
Vadrar wrote:
Dem799 wrote:
Hello!

Since then I have not heard a thing; no confirmation that the further documentation was received and when I called the FBR office they said I might not receive an update until after Christmas!

Has anyone else had a similar instance and, if so, how long did it take for you to receive your congratulations email?

Was really hoping this would be completed after around 12 months based on the waiting times going down to 9 months
I’m not an FBR expert, but eyeballing other messages on this thread over time suggests that congratulations emails tend to come 6 months after additional documents requested. That would fit with the office response of ‘after Christmas’ (August plus 6 months = February)

In the interests of helping others avoid an additional documents request do you know why they requested a second copy of parents’ ID? Did one of those original IDs expire before August or recently? I know they will often ask for ID again if the original copies have an expiry date before FBR is completed.

They put in their email:

Unfortunately I cannot proceed with your application without the following documents:

PARENT :

Photocopy of current state-issued ID document (i.e. passport, drivers licence, national identity card) signed by a professional from the list of witnesses as a true copy of the original

I do remember putting the photocopy in, so I can only assume that they have somehow misplaced it or my memory fails me!

When my dad was applying for his passport, they said that his birth certificate had gone missing when he had also sent it through.

Hopefully I get it back soon! I think it’s the radio silence with no confirmation of whether they have even received your return email which is frustrating
They do lose documents unfortunately. It sounds however that the parents ID that you supplied is no longer current (even if it was when you submitted it.) They will ask for a resubmission of ID if it has expired before they process it.

So for others who are going to apply: worthwhile picking the longest-valid ID you can. Some people even renew ID before applying to get more validity time, but not always possible of course.
Thank you so much! It was definitely still valid as it’s the same ID that I sent another copy over - I think maybe I need to quadruple check all the documents next time.

tphero
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tphero » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:13 am

Does the 'Application Received' email mean that the documents have been received or are they separate emails?

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:19 am

Dem799 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:49 am
Vadrar wrote:
Dem799 wrote:
Vadrar wrote:
Dem799 wrote:
Hello!

They put in their email:

PARENT :

Great news on getting that congrats email! Your timeline is really encouraging - 2 months and a week for congrats email after post-additional docs request is an excellent sign. Hopefully they are starting to process other additional requests on a similar timeline.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:43 pm

tphero wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:13 am
Does the 'Application Received' email mean that the documents have been received or are they separate emails?
'Documents received' (if they even bother letting you know) is a different notification than 'Application received'. They are separate emails.

tphero
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tphero » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:25 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:43 pm
tphero wrote:
'Documents received' (if they even bother letting you know) is a different notification than 'Application received'. They are separate emails.
Thanks. My royal mail tracking says my parcel is still being processed by customs since 11 August :( was hoping that the tracking was just not being updated.

Nialljvs
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Nialljvs » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:42 am

Documents received' (if they even bother letting you know) is a different notification than 'Application received'. They are separate emails.
Does this mean that sometimes they will not let you know when additional documents have been received? I sent mine via DHL and I got proof of delivery over a week ago, but heard nothing from foreign births.

laurab97
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by laurab97 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:40 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:43 pm
tphero wrote:
Just realised I never received a 'Document received' email, just the 'Application Received' email despite sending them over back in September. I assumed the 'Application Received' must have meant they got the docs in the post.

Should this be of concern or it's normal to not get the 'Documents received' email? A little concerned now !

Online Application: August 9, 2023
Application Received: September 6, 2023
Documents Received: ------

Nialljvs
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Nialljvs » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:09 pm

laurab97 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:40 pm

Just realised I never received a 'Document received' email, just the 'Application Received' email despite sending them over back in September. I assumed the 'Application Received' must have meant they got the docs in the post.

Should this be of concern or it's normal to not get the 'Documents received' email? A little concerned now !

Online Application: August 9, 2023
Application Received: September 6, 2023
Documents Received: ------
I think documents received is implying the additional documents, I.e. if and when your application begins to be processed they may need additional documents sending.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:51 pm

Nialljvs wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:42 am
Does this mean that sometimes they will not let you know when additional documents have been received? I sent mine via DHL and I got proof of delivery over a week ago, but heard nothing from foreign births.
Correct. Unfortunately when they are backlogged it seems they dont consistently let people know they have physically recieved your original application & documents they may have requested later. When they need something, they will contact you.
When I recieved all of my documents back I did get an extra bit of paper (accidently) that was a memo instructing the person dealing with my application "Do not respond to this inquiry" where I had emailed (once) asking if they had recieved my additional documents.

Legskinner
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Legskinner » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:50 am

Good day all. I started my FBR efforts in January 2021 and received it in May 2023. I had one request for additional documents (Grandfathers original Birth Certificate). I sent my passport application in June 2023 and had two additional document requests. Yesterday I finally received my Irish passport. It took almost 3 long years. One word of advice - patience. When they ask for additional documents get them and respond immediately. Don´t quit and keep going.

Camac13
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Camac13 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:01 am

I applied this summer and about a month later I found out I was pregnant and just finally got around to sending in a note from my doctor to the FBR urgent queries address. They confirmed my application will be sent along for processing. I guess my question is since it the baby will likely be born after I’m added to the FBR without it being expedited (due date not until May) will they even bother to expedite it? Just curious what others expectant timelines are for approval when the due date is so far off.

Yasinroni12
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by Yasinroni12 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:52 pm

Hi Dear this is Yasin here. I was send requested documents to the department of foreign birth registration entitlement officer but I still not get any receive email from department that the receive it or not what should I do here?

Newt
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Newt » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:09 pm

mm514 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:57 pm
I had a similar issue - called the hotline and they confirmed that it's fine to have a new witness!
Newt wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:10 am
Hi everyone, the witness (notary) for my irish parent's ID is different than the witness for my ID, photos, and FBR application. Is this a problem?
Thank you!!!

Newt
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Newt » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:14 pm

Hi again guys, another question here. What did you guys say to your witnesses? I called my bank since the fbr application says a bank manager or a notary are appropriate witnesses, but my bank told me they can only notarize things and not witness them, even by a bank manager. Every notary I've been to has gotten stuck on the "witnessing" bit and refused because it's not technically notarizing. Feeling a bit stuck here. :(

turpentine
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by turpentine » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:42 am

Newt wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:14 pm
Hi again guys, another question here. What did you guys say to your witnesses? I called my bank since the fbr application says a bank manager or a notary are appropriate witnesses, but my bank told me they can only notarize things and not witness them, even by a bank manager. Every notary I've been to has gotten stuck on the "witnessing" bit and refused because it's not technically notarizing. Feeling a bit stuck here. :(
I used the family dentist since the GPs don't do it here any more and has went smoothly so far. Just asked for the required stuff and they helped out. I put a business card in as well as their stamp for good measure.

Docs rec'd - March 20
Address Check - Nov 1st