ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation/Citizenship Application Referee - how 'well' do they have to know you?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

toesfingers
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Naturalisation/Citizenship Application Referee - foreign national

Post by toesfingers » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:59 pm

On the gov.uk website it states:

The referee must:
  • have known the (adult) applicant for at least 3 years
  • a British passport holder and either a professional person or aged over 25 (at least one referee must be a professional person)
So one referee must hold a British passport, but does this mean the other referee can be a foreign national? i.e. someone no living in the UK or a British citizen? If yes, are there are any rules around providing a foreign national i.e. do they have prove knowledge of English language?

toesfingers
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Naturalisation/Citizenship Application Referee - how 'well' do they have to know you?

Post by toesfingers » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:18 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... essible--2

Referees
All applicants for British citizenship must provide 2 referees to establish their identity. You must only contact the referees if this could resolve concerns about the application and you have the authority from a senior caseworker to do so.

You must ensure that the following requirements are met:

The referee must:
have known the (adult) applicant for at least 3 years

I understand a referee is someone who can vouch for your character and identity. However, how do you define what is acceptable for how a referee knows you? How well does a referee have to know you? How do you quantify what is acceptable?

Here are a few examples:
  • My husband's friend has met me 4 times over the last 10 years, although we haven't met that many times he has known me for a long time. I've been to his home, he's been to my home and he is a good friend to my husband. Could he be a referee?
  • Does the referee actually have to know you in person or know you 'well' in person? What about referees you know largely through video calls? For example, I work and regularly take part in external online events/activities/groups. These people have known me for more than 3 years, but the majority I have either not met or met only a couple of times in person. They know me. Do they count as an acceptable referee still despite them knowing me largely through video calls? I imagine this will be the case for a growing number of people with a sharp increase in remote working since Covid.
  • What about someone you've known for a number of years, but haven't contacted in a year? For example, I have a friend who moved abroad and we haven't contacted for a year. What if I were to get in touch and ask that person to be my referee? This person knows me and my character, we've met many times in person, but we haven't been in touch for a while.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation/Citizenship Application Referee - foreign national

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:23 pm

toesfingers wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:59 pm
On the gov.uk website it states:

The referee must:
  • have known the (adult) applicant for at least 3 years
  • a British passport holder and either a professional person or aged over 25 (at least one referee must be a professional person)
So one referee must hold a British passport, but does this mean the other referee can be a foreign national? i.e. someone no living in the UK or a British citizen? If yes, are there are any rules around providing a foreign national i.e. do they have prove knowledge of English language?
The professional referee can be someone of any nationality. No, they do not need to meet or prove an English requirement!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation/Citizenship Application Referee - how 'well' do they have to know you?

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:25 pm

toesfingers wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:18 pm
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... essible--2

Referees
All applicants for British citizenship must provide 2 referees to establish their identity. You must only contact the referees if this could resolve concerns about the application and you have the authority from a senior caseworker to do so.

You must ensure that the following requirements are met:

The referee must:
have known the (adult) applicant for at least 3 years

I understand a referee is someone who can vouch for your character and identity. However, how do you define what is acceptable for how a referee knows you? How well does a referee have to know you? How do you quantify what is acceptable?

Here are a few examples:
  • My husband's friend has met me 4 times over the last 10 years, although we haven't met that many times he has known me for a long time. I've been to his home, he's been to my home and he is a good friend to my husband. Could he be a referee?
  • Does the referee actually have to know you in person or know you 'well' in person? What about referees you know largely through video calls? For example, I work and regularly take part in external online events/activities/groups. These people have known me for more than 3 years, but the majority I have either not met or met only a couple of times in person. They know me. Do they count as an acceptable referee still despite them knowing me largely through video calls? I imagine this will be the case for a growing number of people with a sharp increase in remote working since Covid.
  • What about someone you've known for a number of years, but haven't contacted in a year? For example, I have a friend who moved abroad and we haven't contacted for a year. What if I were to get in touch and ask that person to be my referee? This person knows me and my character, we've met many times in person, but we haven't been in touch for a while.
You are overthinking this. They simply need to know for at least 3 years and have met you.

Can you also please keep all your questions on the same application in one single topic!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

toesfingers
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalisation/Citizenship Application Referee - how 'well' do they have to know you?

Post by toesfingers » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:42 pm

Thank you again for the responses. Much appreciated!

Regarding the request to keep all questions on the same application in one single topic, I can certainly do that. However, I intentionally separated these questions for a specific reason. The two sets of questions pertain to different aspects of the same topic, which is the requirement for referees in the British citizenship application process.

Separating different questions or topics into individual posts or threads is a common practice when they cover distinct aspects or issues. This helps keep the discussion focused, facilitates responses from other users, and makes it easier for other users to find and respond to specific questions.

If you have a different preference or disagree with this approach, that's absolutely fine :) - I'll keep it in mind. I would also suggest considering the addition of a more visible note in the FAQs to help others like me avoid similar actions in the future.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:57 pm

All the forum rules are contained in the link below.

announcements/

I suggest familiarise yourself with the two specific ones below.

announcements/multiple-posts-will-be-lo ... t5722.html

announcements/terms-conditions-t3.html

Link below is the top 25 FAQs also helpful.

announcements/read-me-getting-started-t ... 24804.html

You will find that the rules of this forum, are the same as any other forum.

Also note that the members and moderators on the forum are all unpaid volunteers. Posting multiple topics on the same application and the same point, ie referees, is unfair to those who volunteer their time and inevitably respond to the related topic with the same advice as questions progress. Keeping your questions in one single topic, means all advice can be viewed in one thread (and corrected if needed), rather than scanning multiple different topics by the same user with the same/similar question on one aspect, ie referees in this case.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

toesfingers
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by toesfingers » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:08 pm

Thank you, I hadn't seen all these - the links are useful.

"Also note that the members and moderators on the forum are all unpaid volunteers."

Yes, I am very aware of this - also why my first sentences contain a thank you and/or "appreciate". These applications are ridiculously expensive, complicated and the information provided by the HO isn't always clear. So, really do appreciate the questions and answers provided by everyone here. :)

"Posting multiple topics on the same application and the same point, ie referees, is unfair to those who volunteer their time and inevitably respond to the related topic with the same advice as questions progress. Keeping your questions in one single topic, means all advice can be viewed in one thread (and corrected if needed), rather than scanning multiple different topics by the same user with the same/similar question on one aspect, ie referees in this case."

I see, yes this makes sense to me. As mentioned will try to keep my posts together.

toesfingers
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by toesfingers » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:29 pm

I have a couple more questions please someone can help?

1) Do I need to wait to receive the ILR before asking for signed and dates referees? I am waiting to submit my SET-M as soon as I meet the qualification period. Then assuming it is successful, I'd like to immediately apply for naturalisation. i.e. would it be OK to provide a referee that was signed and dated BEFORE the ILR is issued? I am probably overthinking, but the whole process is expensive and stressful as it is - just don't want to make sure everything is as smooth as possible.

2) From what I've read the English language requirement can be satisfied with a degree taught in the UK. I have a Master's degree from the UK that was used for the spouse visa and is soon to be used for my SET-M application. I'm aware that the rules and requirements for citizenship are slightly different, so just want to confirm that:

a) I can use my master's degree taught in the UK as evidence again and

b) I need to provide two documents: the degree certificate AND the "Diploma Supplement and Transcript"

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:38 pm

toesfingers wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:29 pm
I have a couple more questions please someone can help?

1) Do I need to wait to receive the ILR before asking for signed and dates referees? I am waiting to submit my SET-M as soon as I meet the qualification period. Then assuming it is successful, I'd like to immediately apply for naturalisation. i.e. would it be OK to provide a referee that was signed and dated BEFORE the ILR is issued? I am probably overthinking, but the whole process is expensive and stressful as it is - just don't want to make sure everything is as smooth as possible. Logical progression / sequence so Will suggest wait to get ILR first or how does a 3 month old referee letter look and predating qualifying time for the naturalisation l??

2) From what I've read the English language requirement can be satisfied with a degree taught in the UK. I have a Master's degree from the UK that was used for the spouse visa and is soon to be used for my SET-M application. I'm aware that the rules and requirements for citizenship are slightly different, so just want to confirm that:

a) I can use my master's degree taught in the UK as evidence again and Correct

b) I need to provide two documents: the degree certificate AND the "Diploma Supplement and Transcript"