ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Limerick IRP appt wait at 16 weeks

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tdd2021
Newly Registered
United States of America

Limerick IRP appt wait at 16 weeks

Post by tdd2021 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:21 pm

I am waiting for a Limerick IRP appt, it's been 16 weeks since I submitted request and received an auto reply that email received. I am on a 2 yr critical skills work permit which expires tomorrow. IRP card expiration was same. I have a new stamp 4 support letter ready to submit.

Has anyone been renewed recently to share wait time? Last week I emailed the immigration officer that helped me last time, no response.

Any advice? Should we go down to Limerick Garda office in person? Has anyone tried and been successful?

We are travelling next week out of country for 5 days. 1) Need to ensure we'll be let back in the country and 2) Concerned that will get appt scheduled when we are gone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Limerick IRP appt wait at 16 weeks

Post by meself2 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:09 pm

tdd2021 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:21 pm
Should we go down to Limerick Garda office in person?
You might have to at this point. I don't know what's the situation in rural offices, as I'm in Dublin, but that's a very long wait.
Also, have you considered the fact that after tomorrow you may not be able to work in Ireland legally until your new permission has been received, since your CSEP has expired? Have you made arrangements with your employer?

You might have to cancel the trip. IRP cards are produced in Dublin somewhere and I can't see you getting one in time, especially if you dont have an appointment. You can try to get an emergency visa, but a) success stories on their forum were facilitated through Dublin and b) I don't know if your trip will be considered an emergency.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by sairsint » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:35 pm

tdd2021 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:21 pm
I am waiting for a Limerick IRP appt, it's been 16 weeks since I submitted request and received an auto reply that email received. I am on a 2 yr critical skills work permit which expires tomorrow. IRP card expiration was same. I have a new stamp 4 support letter ready to submit.

Has anyone been renewed recently to share wait time? Last week I emailed the immigration officer that helped me last time, no response.

Any advice? Should we go down to Limerick Garda office in person? Has anyone tried and been successful?

We are travelling next week out of country for 5 days. 1) Need to ensure we'll be let back in the country and 2) Concerned that will get appt scheduled when we are gone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You’ve been waiting 4 months AFTER you received the stamp 4 paperwork from the DoJ just to get an appointment with the immigration officer at the local Garda station? You should have contacted them by phone or gone there in person by now as it should have taken no more than a week or two at most to get an appointment for this.

There is little to no chance you will get your new IRP by next week. Even if you have an appointment tomorrow it still takes about a week for the card to come from Dublin.

I imagine at this point if you must travel it really depends on what Ireland allows your current passport to enter under. E.g. if no visa is required you could enter as a tourist and sort it out later. You could also show Irish customs the expired IRP card along with the DoJ stamp 4 letter and hope they understand. If you need a visa then I imagine it may get complicated just getting on the plane back to Ireland.

As for the right to work, you might be okay if you’re employer isn’t asking any questions. Further, if you have a letter from the DoJ authorising you a stamp 4 then it’s likely just a formality getting the IRP card at this point as you’re technically approved.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:40 pm

True, OP has an American flag - they can arrive as tourists. Trip should be fine (although depends on their spouse's nationality).
sairsint wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:35 pm
Further, if you have a letter from the DoJ authorising you a stamp 4 then it’s likely just a formality getting the IRP card at this point as you’re technically approved.
That's the thing - support letter comes from DETE, not DOJ. DOJ technically makes the final say about giving (or not giving) permission to work here.

Also, to OP - reach out to your TD. Explain the issue. Try to put pressure.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by sairsint » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:42 pm

meself2 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:40 pm
True, OP has an American flag - they can arrive as tourists. Trip should be fine (although depends on their spouse's nationality).
sairsint wrote:
Further, if you have a letter from the DoJ authorising you a stamp 4 then it’s likely just a formality getting the IRP card at this point as you’re technically approved.
That's the thing - support letter comes from DETE, not DOJ. DOJ technically makes the final say about giving (or not giving) permission to work here.

Mine came from the Department of Justice and Equality.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:49 pm

sairsint wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:42 pm
meself2 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:40 pm
sairsint wrote:

Mine came from the Department of Justice and Equality.
Okay, thank you! From what I managed to find online (https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2023-05-17a.165 ), it was framed as if it comes from DETE.
It simplifies things then.

tdd2021
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by tdd2021 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:07 pm

Thank you everyone for your reply. I hesitated to go down to the immigration office as heard from fellow CSP holders of being there when people tried to hurry the process for personal reason and were turned away. I do feel justified in my request but still concerned.

I am printing everything out, all emails sent, auto confirmation, follow up with backup paperwork and will pay a visit.

In the regional offices there were major delays over Covid and it took 14 weeks last time.

My letter is from the DETE not the DOJ. Here's the quote from the letter. Please note that this letter does not automatically entitle the applicant to Stamp 4 permission as this decision is a
matter for the Minister for Justice and Equality. It is the responsibility of all foreign nationals to maintain valid
immigration permission with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB).

Also, during Covid I was told even without IRP that customs could see renewal was in process in their system. A fellow CSP did confirm this when same thing happened to them, they hadn't received their card but allowed thru customs.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:40 am

tdd2021 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:07 pm
Thank you everyone for your reply. I hesitated to go down to the immigration office as heard from fellow CSP holders of being there when people tried to hurry the process for personal reason and were turned away. I do feel justified in my request but still concerned.

I am printing everything out, all emails sent, auto confirmation, follow up with backup paperwork and will pay a visit.

In the regional offices there were major delays over Covid and it took 14 weeks last time.

My letter is from the DETE not the DOJ. Here's the quote from the letter. Please note that this letter does not automatically entitle the applicant to Stamp 4 permission as this decision is a
matter for the Minister for Justice and Equality. It is the responsibility of all foreign nationals to maintain valid
immigration permission with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB).

Also, during Covid I was told even without IRP that customs could see renewal was in process in their system. A fellow CSP did confirm this when same thing happened to them, they hadn't received their card but allowed thru customs.
You would have been allowed to return if you had already went for your IRP appointment and travelled before the card arrived which even depends on the airline.

But with your case if you leave the country you will need a visa to return. Your permission letter is not sufficient for airlines.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:11 am

Angel99 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:40 am
But with your case if you leave the country you will need a visa to return.
Judging by OP's flag, they're American - they'll board a flight with no issues.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:32 am

meself2 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:11 am
Angel99 wrote:
What if the immigration in the other country checks his entry stamps when he plans to return? What prove will he have to show them his renewal will be approved?. The permission letter is not IRP. The Garda Immigration office are the ones who order the card. They also have requirements

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by sairsint » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:52 am

Angel99 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:32 am
meself2 wrote:
Angel99 wrote:
What if the immigration in the other country checks his entry stamps when he plans to return? What prove will he have to show them his renewal will be approved?. The permission letter is not IRP. The Garda Immigration office are the ones who order the card. They also have requirements
The point is that if you carry a US passport you’re allowed to enter Ireland as a tourist for up to 90 days without a stamp or visa. Another country’s immigration officer or the airline isn’t going to question this particular situation. Even if they did, you simply say you’re returning as a tourist and then deal with Irish customs appropriately upon arrival.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:30 am

sairsint wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:52 am
Angel99 wrote:
meself2 wrote:
Angel99 wrote:
The point is that if you carry a US passport you’re allowed to enter Ireland as a tourist for up to 90 days without a stamp or visa. Another country’s immigration officer or the airline isn’t going to question this particular situation. Even if they did, you simply say you’re returning as a tourist and then deal with Irish customs appropriately upon arrival.

Doesn't Ireland have a 90days in 180days rule for all tourist/visit stays for non EU citizens?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:28 pm

Angel99 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:30 am
sairsint wrote:
Angel99 wrote:
meself2 wrote:
Angel99 wrote:

Doesn't Ireland have a 90days in 180days rule for all tourist/visit stays for non EU citizens?
It does have some limits of stay. But from my experience, the process of going from one country to another is usually as follows:
- airline checks that person has a right to go to the other country, either just by virtue of having a passport (like in this case) or checking visas/permits; in wouldn't expect them, for example, count entry/exit stamps - it's not their job.
- when departing, border control officer ensures laws of their country aren't breached, they don't care about laws of whatever country you're going to. When flying to Ireland from Schengen, I was very frequently just stamped out, not even presenting my IRP or even giving my ticket. Don't think it's computerized enough to see all this at a glance, so I believe as long as i didn't overstay in Schengen, I'm good for them.

In short, OP can say he's going to Ireland as a tourist and deal with Irish authorities at the border, as only they will be concerned about his Irish stay - that's indeed their job.

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by sairsint » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:52 pm

meself2 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:28 pm
Angel99 wrote:
sairsint wrote:
Angel99 wrote:
meself2 wrote:
Angel99 wrote:

It does have some limits of stay. But from my experience, the process of going from one country to another is usually as follows:
- airline checks that person has a right to go to the other country, either just by virtue of having a passport (like in this case) or checking visas/permits; in wouldn't expect them, for example, count entry/exit stamps - it's not their job.
- when departing, border control officer ensures laws of their country aren't breached, they don't care about laws of whatever country you're going to. When flying to Ireland from Schengen, I was very frequently just stamped out, not even presenting my IRP or even giving my ticket. Don't think it's computerized enough to see all this at a glance, so I believe as long as i didn't overstay in Schengen, I'm good for them.

In short, OP can say he's going to Ireland as a tourist and deal with Irish authorities at the border, as only they will be concerned about his Irish stay - that's indeed their job.
Completely agree with this.

The only time I was ever asked to show my IRP in another country was in the UK when returning to Ireland. And that was only because I said that I lived in Ireland when I was asked what my reason for traveling there was. Even then it only happened to me once and I've never been asked to show the card again (outside of Ireland).

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:49 pm

sairsint wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:52 pm
meself2 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:28 pm
Angel99 wrote:
sairsint wrote:
Angel99 wrote:
meself2 wrote:

Completely agree with this.

The only time I was ever asked to show my IRP in another country was in the UK when returning to Ireland. And that was only because I said that I lived in Ireland when I was asked what my reason for traveling there was. Even then it only happened to me once and I've never been asked to show the card again (outside of Ireland).
Exactly, when he is returning from outside EU they will check and also when existing Ireland they might check if he has overstayed. The rules In Ireland for US citizens are same for all EU countries.

Note not all US passport holders are given 3 months entry. Some are given 1 month stamp on arrival.

And I think there is a 90days in 180days limit for visa waiver countries.

If he should exit and unable to return on time it will be a big blow to him so best advise is what i gave. *Let him settle his IRP first* after the IRP is ordered by his Garda appointment then he has solid grounds incase something should go wrong when abroad.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:23 pm

Also know after his IRP has expired he has no legal status, IRP or stamp. He has no right to continue employment. The permission letter is just a clearance to register with local immigration office.

*So leaving the country to restart the visa waiver clock will be considered overstayer before leaving because he already gained residence in EU.

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by sairsint » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:26 pm

As I said, in over 6 years now I've only been asked to show my IRP outside of Ireland exactly one time and I have traveled a lot, both in and outside of the EU.

It really doesn't matter what we "think" the authorities will do as each case will be unique to that person when traveling. I can't tell you how many times my passport has been stamped or not stamped upon entering Ireland while holding an IRP card. Some customs officers do and some don't; there is zero consistency in the process.

If it were me I would try to avoid any travel outside of the state without a valid IRP card. That said, if you have an IRP card it means you are not from here and travel cannot be avoided sometimes due to family reasons. Therefore I think you must deal with it the best way you can at the time. Additionally the immigration process in Ireland is horribly slow and lacks any sort of transparency in my experience both for renewing a Stamp 4 and through gaining citizenship. Sometimes you are forced to put your personal reasons above their process, especially if you are having to wait 4 months such as OP just to get a Garda immigration appointment... it's absolutely ridiculous.