ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

2 year route for the family spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

2 year route for the family spouse visa

Post by Adam20 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:59 pm

Dear Members,

I recently got married abroad and am in the process of applying for a family visa for my spouse to join me in the UK for settlement. I've come across information suggesting a 2-year route for the family spouse visa. Can you confirm if this is correct? If it is, does it mean that my wife can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after two years? Typically, I've seen most people being granted a 5-year route. Is there an option during the application process to select the 2-year route?

Thank you for your assistance.

https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to- ... amily-visa

meself2
Ireland

Re: 2 year route for the family spouse visa

Post by meself2 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:06 pm

Adam20 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:59 pm
Is there an option during the application process to select the 2-year route?
No. It's an option for applications submitted before 9 July 2012.

The fastest route for you right now is 5 year visa.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Adam20 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:19 pm

I appreciate your response.

If the UKVI grants a visa for my spouse, is it accurate to say that the initial visa duration is 2.5 years, and as it approaches expiry, we can seek an extension for an additional 2.5 years?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:29 pm

Yes, assuming relevant conditions are adhered to (income, language proficiency, etc).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Adam20 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:52 am

meself2 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:29 pm
Yes, assuming relevant conditions are adhered to (income, language proficiency, etc).
For the visa extension on the second occasion, do I need to demonstrate the minimum threshold of £18,800 again, and is this requirement applicable for a period of 6 months or 12 months?

When you mention "language," are you implying that my wife needs to undergo another English language test before we proceed with the application for the second extension?

I truly appreciate your assistance.

Adam20
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Adam20 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:24 am

I have another question related to this topic. In the scenario where someone is eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after the 5-year route but, If you fail to seize the chance to apply for the 5-year route or choose not to do so, it appears you will be placed on the 10-year route automatically and will be required to renew your visa every 2.5 years ?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:10 am

Adam20 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:52 am
For the visa extension on the second occasion, do I need to demonstrate the minimum threshold of £18,800 again, and is this requirement applicable for a period of 6 months or 12 months?
Yes, depending on the category you're in.
Please read the guide.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... le-version
Adam20 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:52 am
When you mention "language," are you implying that my wife needs to undergo another English language test before we proceed with the application for the second extension?
Possibly. She needs at least A2 for first extension and at least B1 for settlement. It's usually better to do a B1 test straight away.