ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Correct application form child of father with ILR and mother with British Citizenship

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

magn8p
Newly Registered

Correct application form child of father with ILR and mother with British Citizenship

Post by magn8p » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:09 am

Hello everyone,

I obtained my ILR in 2018 and made a decision not to pursue British citizenship. However, my wife, originally an Indian citizen came to the UK as my dependent, got her ILR in 2019 and opted for British citizenship in 2021.

Recently, my wife, in need of medical assistance, traveled to India (our home country) and gave birth to our daughter in May 2023. Due to health and other family considerations, we've chosen Indian citizenship for our daughter. We successfully obtained all her essential documents, including the Date of Birth certificate, Aadhar (Indian Social Security Number), and Passport.

Now, we are eager to apply for the right visa for our daughter so that she, along with my wife, can return to the UK and join me.

Having reviewed the UK Visas and Immigration site (https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/child), I've come across the following options and would appreciate guidance on which one to choose:

Apply from outside the UK --> Apply separately --> Appendix FM online form --> Appendix FM Child
Apply from outside the UK --> Apply separately --> the online application form + the Appendix 1 paper form
Any insights or experiences shared will be highly valuable.

Thank you in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Correct application form child of father with ILR and mother with British Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:02 am

The child is british by descent automatically.

Apply for a british passport or a certificate of entitlment to right if Abode.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

magn8p
Newly Registered

Re: Correct application form child of father with ILR and mother with British Citizenship

Post by magn8p » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:30 am

Thank you very much @CR001 - really appreciate your quick response.

Please can you tell me the advantages/disadvantages of choosing one over the other - British Passport vs RoA.

I infer that by choosing RoA, my child doesn't need to give up her Indian citizenship. But are there any other points to consider.

Many thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:33 am

Coe roa is quicker. A british passport can take anywhere between 16 weeks and 12 months.

Your child has both nationalities as born british and has one parent whonis indian. At 18, the child willnhave to choose which to keep.

Roa is valid for the duration of the foreign passport validity and has to be applied for each time a new foreign passport is obtained.

Roa is more expensive than a british passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:45 pm

The British Passport allows you to evidence to anyone in and outside the UK that you're British. Hence facilitating travel to more countries.

The CoE to RoA, only allows you to enter the UK as someone that has a legal right to be here. It doesn't necessarily mean that you're British. So in your child's case, child would be Indian with right to be/reside (free from immigration restrictions) in the UK (in the eyes of the world).
All British citizens automatically have right of abode in the UK. Some Commonwealth citizens may also have right of abode. You can prove you have right of abode if you have a UK passport describing you as a British citizen or British subject with right of abode.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

magn8p
Newly Registered

Post by magn8p » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:59 pm

@CR001 and @Ticktack - Huge thanks for your prompt response! I reached out to UK Visas and Immigration for the CoE to RoA document list, and it appears to be much simpler compared to the family visa requirements.

Planning to submit my application soon, and if all goes well, I'd be thrilled to treat you both to a coffee as a token of my gratitude for saving me some serious money on the hefty IHS and family visa fees. :)

magn8p
Newly Registered

Post by magn8p » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:54 pm

Just wanted to share an update to everyone following this thread that my daughter successfully received her CoE for RoA this week.

Applied from a Tier 1 Indian city and the CoE has been issued and passport returned within 10 days - well ahead of the advised timelines of 3 weeks.

Once again, thank you everyone (@CR001 in particular) for helping me save time and money.