ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewing BRP

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Palmist

Renewing BRP

Post by Palmist » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:51 pm

Hello Forum,

I have indefinite leave to remain and I am in my tenth year since ILR was granted, I live and work in UK. I have only just realized that my BRP card has an expiry date (in next 3 months). Can this be renewed ? I was planning on applying for naturalisation this year but there is a good chance that my card expires while my naturalisation application is being processed, hence I was thinking of renewing the card first if possible. All advice welcome.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Renewing BRP

Post by meself2 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:57 pm

You can - https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... xpired-brp

Keep in mind a) it might take 6 months and b).you'll only get a card valid until Dec 31, 2024.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:11 am

Palmist wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:51 pm
Hello Forum,

I have indefinite leave to remain and I am in my tenth year since ILR was granted, I live and work in UK. I have only just realized that my BRP card has an expiry date (in next 3 months). Can this be renewed ? I was planning on applying for naturalisation this year but there is a good chance that my card expires while my naturalisation application is being processed, hence I was thinking of renewing the card first if possible. All advice welcome.
You do not need a valid card for naturalisation. ILR status is permanent and your settled status has no connection to the expiry date of the card. The card simply expires and you need to renew it for travel. BRPs will be phased out from 2025 anyway.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Palmist

Post by Palmist » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:20 am

meself2 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:57 pm

Keep in mind a) it might take 6 months and b).you'll only get a card valid until Dec 31, 2024.
So am I ok to apply for naturalisation and citizenship instead and just not bother with renewing card.

Why will it be valid till end of 2024

Thank you for taking the time to respond

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:37 am

Yes. Settled (ILR) status is permanent and it has no expiry date, so a BRP is not needed for citizenship applications as the home office does not need you to prove your status to them. BRPs have simply been proof of status used in certain circumstances in the UK (e.g. to enter the UK at the border or prove your right to work/rent, etc). It is now used less and less and will be phased out completely by the end of 2024.

The home office is moving to a 'digital status for all' from 2025. No BRP card will be issued beyond 31 December 2024
If your BRP expires on 31 December 2024
You do not need to tell UKVI if your BRP expires on 31 December 2024 but your immigration status (for example, your visa) allows you to stay longer.

You will not need a BRP from 1 January 2025. You’ll be able to prove your immigration status online, without a BRP.

UKVI will update their information on how to prove your immigration status in early 2024. You do not need to do anything and your immigration status will not be affected.
https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... rt-problem
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:20 pm

Palmist wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:20 am
meself2 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:57 pm

So am I ok to apply for naturalisation and citizenship instead and just not bother with renewing card. Exactly

Why will it be valid till end of 2024

Thank you for taking the time to respond