ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is guernsey Part of Tier-1 VISA?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kashifhbl
Newly Registered

Is guernsey Part of Tier-1 VISA?

Post by kashifhbl » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:50 pm

I got Rent Agreement & copy of Passport from my friend living in "guernsey". I seached out this site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guernsey

which says Guernsey is not part of the UK but rather a separate possession of the Crown, comparable to the Isle of Man. Guernsey is also not part of the European Union..

Please guide me whether sending these documents will meet accomodation requirement....

I am tense .. Seniors plz help

Vijay Kumar

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:33 pm

Please guide me whether sending these documents will meet accomodation requirement....
I guess not as Guernsey is not a part of UK.

CheekyBum
Newly Registered

Post by CheekyBum » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:54 pm

I'm kinda having the same problem. I'm really confused here as I am planning on applying for a Tier 2 Visa but Guernsey Immigration laws differ from the Uk law, even though they still work through UK visas.
Will the employer still have to register? I'll need a certificate according to the requirements, but how does Guernsey work with this?
I might sound stupid, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

drjabberwocky23

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:19 am

I think a Visa to the United Kingdom allows travel to Guernsey and the other Channel Islands. Don't ask me how it works (as I don't really understand it), but a British passport or valid visa to the United Kingdom allows stay on Guernsey.

vijaymaghnani

Post by vijaymaghnani » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:27 am

I think a Visa to the United Kingdom allows travel to Guernsey and the other Channel Islands. Don't ask me how it works (as I don't really understand it), but a British passport or valid visa to the United Kingdom allows stay on Guernsey.
I do think the same , Tier1 Visa should allow us to move any where in UK & its other part. Plz Some one Confirm this...I searched internet and other forum but could not find any evidence....

vijay kumar

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:39 am

Guernsey isn't part of the UK tier system. It's similar to Isle of Man, etc., in that you have to apply specifically through the rules in place for immigration to those locations.

From the HO - "The Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Herm, Sark, and Alderney) and the Isle of Man have their own immigration laws and policies, separate to those of the United Kingdom. For immigration control, we treat these islands as outside the United Kingdom."

- http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... lications/ - scroll to "How to apply from the Channel Islands.. "

Time spent in these locations also does not count towards the time required for ILR or citizenship. It's unfortunate, as I've been offered a really good job out there myself, but I want to stick around a bit until I have ILR.

Good luck!

intgral

Post by intgral » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:32 pm

"If you are living within the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, and have been granted permission to stay (leave to remain) there by one of the island authorities, you will not be able to make an application for leave to remain in the United Kingdom as a highly skilled worker directly from the islands.

In these circumstances, you can apply under Tier 1 (General) in two ways. These are:

* by returning to the country where you are normally resident (your home country) and applying for permission come to the United Kingdom (entry clearance) from there; or
* if your permission to stay on one of the islands is still current, you can come directly to the United Kingdom. Once you are in the United Kingdom, you may apply to switch into Tier 1 (General) provided the immigration category under which you were given permission to stay on the islands is one from which United Kingdom immigration law allows you to switch into Tier 1 (General). This is because, once you have travelled to the United Kingdom, we are able to treat the leave given to you under the island laws as if it had been granted by the United Kingdom authorities."

The last sentence clears the way for ILR after the due time respective the your case.