ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will ILR status be online only from next year?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sm12
Diamond Member

Will ILR status be online only from next year?

Post by sm12 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:50 pm

Reading that all biometric permits will be replaced with evisas. How will a person be able to provide proof when flying to the UK from abroad? I've always been asked for physical visa or permit.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Will ILR status be online only from next year?

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:03 pm

It will be digital. That is all we know, the same information available to everyone on the UKVI website.

More information will become available later next year. Until then, we don't know.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:53 pm

BRPs are only issued with validity till the end of 2024. A new digital proof of status system will be introduced possibly from early 2024. After the end of 2024, all BRPs will be phased out and that system will exclusively be used for proof of your status instead of a BRP, probably via an app similar to the current NHS app. The home office will probably update everyone on this soon
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

sm12
Diamond Member

Post by sm12 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:09 pm

zimba wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:53 pm
BRPs are only issued with validity till the end of 2024. A new digital proof of status system will be introduced possibly from early 2024. After the end of 2024, all BRPs will be phased out and that system will exclusively be used for proof of your status instead of a BRP, probably via an app similar to the current NHS app. The home office will probably update everyone on this soon
Thank you. Yes, my BRP is valid until 31/12/24.
Last edited by sm12 on Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sm12
Diamond Member

Post by sm12 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:11 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:03 pm
It will be digital. That is all we know, the same information available to everyone on the UKVI website.

More information will become available later next year. Until then, we don't know.
Thank you.
Yes, just concerned because when I fly back to the UK, I'm always asked for a BRP/visa. I'm unsure as to whether airlines will create issues when presented with a digital visa.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:23 pm

We don't know what UKVI thinks, but it's entirely up to them to handle it - you can't request a BRP with longer duration because airlines will ask for it, unfortunately.

As part of a certain popular saying goes, you should "accept what you cannot change". Just don't worry about it and see how it goes.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:57 pm

sm12 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:11 pm
CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:03 pm

Thank you.
Yes, just concerned because when I fly back to the UK, I'm always asked for a BRP/visa. I'm unsure as to whether airlines will create issues when presented with a digital visa.
This is a major immigration procedural change by the UK on how residents will prove their residence status inside and outside the UK. They know what they are doing and all the relevant foreign entities, airlines, IATA, etc will be informed of the details of these changes well before the end of 2024. The updates will be coming in early 2024, so you will not be left wondering. There is nothing you need to do for now.

Note again: your ILR status has nothing to do with what happens next year, ILR status is a legal UK status and your ILR status remains unchanged. Only the means to prove your status to the airlines, employers, landlords, etc will change to a digital system
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice