ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for dependents

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rav40
India

Citizenship for dependents

Post by rav40 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:18 pm

Hi,

I got my ILR in Feb 2023 and my wife and two minor kids in October 2023. I am planning to submit my citizenship application in Feb 24. Please clarify the following points:

Can my wife apply with me in Feb, her 12-month ILR period will finish in October?

Can my minor children apply with me even if my wife is not eligible?

Do I need to mention the details of all the previous immigration applications? I have in total 6 including ILR. It is tough to fill in the details like date of application, Ref number and date of biometrics.

I was exempt from the English language test as I provided that during my initial immigration application. Do I need to retake the test for my citizenship application?

Many thanks in advance for your time and effort

meself2
Ireland

Re: Citizenship for dependents

Post by meself2 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:20 pm

1) no, she applies when she's eligible (ie 12 months on ILR).

2) Where were children born and how long are they in UK? Do they have ILR?

3) Not sure

3) For English language you can reuse qualification you used for ILR
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:26 pm

Just to follow-up on meself2's comments:

3) The application asks for ANY applications you've made - as such you are required to provide the answers.
If you don't have all details not an issue. Note that naturalisation has different requirements as compared to immigration, I think I already mentioned this to one or two other members today. Naturalisation isn't immigration.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

rav40
India

Post by rav40 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:52 pm

Thank you so much for the responses.

My children were born outside UK

I did not have to provide any English language certificate for ILR as I provided this back in 2018 for my initial immigration application.

Hoping to get further clarification on this
Kind regards

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:56 pm

Do your children have ILR?
You can reuse your English language exam as far as you can provide the reference number.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

rav40
India

Post by rav40 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:58 pm

Thanks.

Yes, my children have ILR

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:05 pm

rav40 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:18 pm
Can my wife apply with me in Feb, her 12-month ILR period will finish in October?
She can apply on or after either
(a) the first anniversary of her ILR, OR,
(b) the date of your citizenship ceremony and naturalisation certificate,
whichever is first.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

rav40
India

Post by rav40 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:30 pm

Thank you so much Secret.Simon,

Could you also please advise regarding

My children were born outside the UK. Can they apply with my application?

I did not have to provide any English language certificate for ILR as I provided this back in 2018 for my initial immigration application. Do I need to retake the test for citizenship as my earlier certificate is more than five years old?

Kind regards

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:33 pm

rav40 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:30 pm
I did not have to provide any English language certificate for ILR as I provided this back in 2018 for my initial immigration application. Do I need to retake the test for citizenship as my earlier certificate is more than five years old?
if it was successfully for ILR, you can reuse it with citizenship

For chidren - yes, if they fulfil the criteria below. Read the guidance yourself:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... le-version
Registration at the Home Secretary’s discretion – Section 3(1) application
[...]
Children applying in line with parents
Children will come within this category if:

one parent is a British citizen or about to become one through registration or naturalisation

the other parent (if involved in the child’s life) is a British citizen or settled in the UK (“settled” usually means that the parent has indefinite leave to remain in the UK)

the child has been resident in the UK for the last 2 years - (if the child is under the age of 2 we can accept a shorter residence period, taking into account the age of the child)

the child is settled in the UK

both parents give their consent to registration (unless good reasons are provided)

there is no reason to refuse on character grounds.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

rav40
India

Post by rav40 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:55 pm

Thank you so much meself2. You have provided real clarity.

kind regards.