ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will GP Visit Card affects my Citizenship Application?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Chee
Newly Registered
Ireland

Will GP Visit Card affects my Citizenship Application?

Post by Chee » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:15 am

Hi hope all are well.
I've posted my application in August and got the acknowledgement letter in October. A week or two ago I heard an ad from HSE on the radio now more people are eligible to get GP Visit Card. I didn't really think more about it and applied for one, and I got it yesterday. But now I'm paranoid... I'm not sure if it'll affect my Irish naturalisation process or not. For some context I'm on Stamp 4 and I work full time and I only claimed one week Covid payment last year when I caught it.
A friend of mine said it shouldn't affect the decision as she had medical card when she applied, and a friend of hers was on social welfare a lot when he applied.
Please shed some light. Should I just contact HSE and cancel it or?

Thanks all.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Will GP Visit Card affects my Citizenship Application?

Post by meself2 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:21 am

GP visit cards are means tested as far as I know, which means you're using public funds. Can you use public funds on your stamp?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Chee
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Chee » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:41 am

meself2 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:21 am
GP visit cards are means tested as far as I know, which means you're using public funds. Can you use public funds on your stamp?
I've claimed Covid payment once. Never claimed anything else as far as I remembered.
When I applied for the GP visit card it asks for my income, my passive income and allowable expenses (for me they're rent, bus fare and send money home to my mother)
I'm on stamp 4 after 5 years of work permit.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:47 am

Chee wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:41 am
meself2 wrote:
I've claimed Covid payment once. Never claimed anything else as far as I remembered.
When I applied for the GP visit card it asks for my income, my passive income and allowable expenses (for me they're rent, bus fare and send money home to my mother)
I don't think work permit stamp allows claiming public funds. I'm not an expert, but I'd say it's better to stay away from it until you got your citizenship; as it's based on income (not given to everyone, like child benefit for example), it's a state support for people on low income.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Chee
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Chee » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:50 am

meself2 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:47 am
Chee wrote:
meself2 wrote:
I don't think work permit stamp allows claiming public funds. I'm not an expert, but I'd say it's better to stay away from it until you got your citizenship; as it's based on income (not given to everyone, like child benefit for example), it's a state support for people on low income.
Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Chee
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Chee » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:34 pm

meself2 wrote:
Chee wrote:
meself2 wrote:
I've contacted HSE and asked them to cancel my GP Visit Card. I really hate myself for didn't even think before I applied for this card. Hope it won't affect my citizenship application now. Also should I write DoJ a letter telling them about this?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:58 pm

Chee wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:34 pm
meself2 wrote:
Chee wrote:
meself2 wrote:
I've contacted HSE and asked them to cancel my GP Visit Card. I really hate myself for didn't even think before I applied for this card. Hope it won't affect my citizenship application now. Also should I write DoJ a letter telling them about this?
I would not think that would adversely affect it, since you've cancelled it very soon. My advice is to keep it as is for now and see how application progresses - they'll ask you if you have any questions, but I doubt any issues will be raised.

Chee
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Chee » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:01 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:58 pm
Chee wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:34 pm
meself2 wrote:
Chee wrote:
meself2 wrote:
I would not think that would adversely affect it, since you've cancelled it very soon. My advice is to keep it as is for now and see how application progresses - they'll ask you if you have any questions, but I doubt any issues will be raised.
Thank you again. The lady on the phone said it might take 3 to 5 days to cancel it.

grma
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by grma » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:22 pm

In my opinion, I don't think it should be an issue. If you study/work accordingly to your Visa you're a tax payer and has rights like everyone else. You shouldn't be punished for being eligible for a benefit.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:03 pm

grma wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:22 pm
In my opinion, I don't think it should be an issue. If you study/work accordingly to your Visa you're a tax payer and has rights like everyone else. You shouldn't be punished for being eligible for a benefit.
Unfortunately, visa conditions are known to have that a person should not be "an undue burden of the state", which takes into account being on benefits - if a person is getting means tested benefits, they're getting help from the government (in which case it might be easier for Irish government to send person back to their country of nationality, so they can claim benefits from their own government).

If you wish to bring this matter further and get this condition removed from immigration rules, I'll be happy to advise otherwise, but for now my understanding of this is whatever I outlined above. I'll be glad to be proven wrong, but IMO on these stages of the journey, when OP is going to be a citizen in a year or two, it's unnecessary risk.

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:57 pm

My parent had GP Visit Card & Medical card both of which did not affect her applications for Permanent residence and citizenship

All the best

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:02 pm

shpirtshqipe wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:57 pm
My parent had GP Visit Card & Medical card both of which did not affect her applications for PR and cotizenship
EU route is a different story, as there are different provisions regarding EU permanent residence.