ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR and Public funds question

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sidmoe
Newly Registered
India

ILR and Public funds question

Post by Sidmoe » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:45 pm

Hi all,

I am on a Skilled visa and currently my visa is valid and I am employed. My partner has been offered a place in a College for a level 3 qualification to learn language and maths to upskill themselves to be able to find employment and is currently unemployed as language is a barrier to being able to find a suitable job. Our BRP says "No Public funds". Is this initiative of the government to provide level 2 and level 3 courses considered as public funds . This can be a number of things on the Gov.uk site such as free courses for jobs, adult learning etc. I do not want to have my future ILR application become risky as this may be classified as public funds. Can someone please help me on this? Many thanks

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: ILR and Public funds question

Post by Ticktack » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:17 pm

Sidmoe wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:45 pm
Hi all,

I am on a Skilled visa and currently my visa is valid and I am employed. My partner has been offered a place in a College for a level 3 qualification to learn language and maths to upskill themselves to be able to find employment and is currently unemployed as language is a barrier to being able to find a suitable job. Our BRP says "No Public funds". Is this initiative of the government to provide level 2 and level 3 courses considered as public funds . This can be a number of things on the Gov.uk site such as free courses for jobs, adult learning etc. I do not want to have my future ILR application become risky as this may be classified as public funds. Can someone please help me on this? Many thanks
If it's free, then it isn't public funds. If it's paid for by the government using tax payers money, then your guess is as good as mine (public funds).
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:44 am

Public funds with regard to immigration rules are very well defined: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... blic-funds
Do not invent your own rules and requirements
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Sidmoe
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sidmoe » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:47 pm

zimba wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:44 am
Public funds with regard to immigration rules are very well defined: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... blic-funds
Do not invent your own rules and requirements
Hi Zimba, thanks for your response and the link you shared. I read it and seems public funds for immigration purposes is well defined as you said. Although as it's a grey area for me and this policy is interpreted in different ways, I am going to go by what it says in our brp - no public funds and anything free is funded by someone aka the government, in my mind that equates to public funds.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:06 am

No that is not what public funds actually mean. Public funds are defined under section 115 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 which simply prevents people subject to immigration control from accessing a range of welfare benefits. That does not mean anything that is provided for free or subsided somehow becomes public funds for the purpose of the immigration rules
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice