ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visiting India in December for first time on British Passport Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

milsha1110
Newly Registered
India

Visiting India in December for first time on British Passport Passport

Post by milsha1110 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:17 am

Hi , my wife and daughter have recently received their British Passports. We are scheduled to travel to India in December 1st week. Have a few questions :

i. As their Indian passports are not yet surrendered , can I apply for e-visa for them ? (Passport surrender appointment is this week).

ii. In the e-visa application , there is for the question regarding previous visit to India , as they will be travelling for the first time on the British passport , do I have to select "No" as there is no option to select "Indian Passport"?

iii. We visited India last year on their Indian Passports .. do I need to mention this visit in the e-visa application?

Will be grateful if I can get prompt advise.

Thanks

Milsha

Art87ee
United Kingdom

Re: Visiting India in December for first time on British Passport Passport

Post by Art87ee » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:00 pm

You need to select No. I called the helpline and that's what they said.

You need to surrender the passport before the evisa application.

They ask for previous nationality in the form.

DineshSRD
Newly Registered
India

Post by DineshSRD » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:25 am

Hi Milsha,

1) No, you cannot apply for e-visa before surrendering your Indian passport. Also you cannot travel with Indian passport after receiving British passport. There is a 90 days grace period will apply only if you got naturalised but yet to receive your new passport from your naturalised country. Once you have the new passport, it is illegal to travel with Indian Passport.

2) & 3) Not applicable since you can’t apply e-visa before surrendering.

You can get a next day appointment for surrender certificate and you are eligible to apply for e-visa when the status changes to “Surrender Certificate issued” (which should be within 2 or 3 business days from appointment).

Good luck.

BashirB
United Kingdom

Post by BashirB » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:47 pm

milsha1110 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:17 am
Hi , my wife and daughter have recently received their British Passports. We are scheduled to travel to India in December 1st week. Have a few questions :

i. As their Indian passports are not yet surrendered , can I apply for e-visa for them ? (Passport surrender appointment is this week). Yes, you can apply for evisa without surrendering

ii. In the e-visa application , there is for the question regarding previous visit to India , as they will be travelling for the first time on the British passport , do I have to select "No" as there is no option to select "Indian Passport"? Correct. You need to put NO, as the British Citizen has never travelled to India before.

iii. We visited India last year on their Indian Passports .. do I need to mention this visit in the e-visa application?
No, not needed. The British Citizen is considered a separate being for immigration purposes that the Indian Citizen.
Will be grateful if I can get prompt advise.

Thanks

Milsha