ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jgclancy » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:21 pm

Just helped a 3rd cousin as well as family friend apply for FBR.
My cousin mailed application via USPS to Balbriggan - took 3 weeks
My friend mailed application via USPS to Balbriggan - took 1 week - same post office too

Cousins tracking of package says DELIVERED on Nov 3, 2023 & she received " Application received" email on Nov 12th

My friends tracking of package says DELIVERED on Nov 10, 2023. Awaiting confirmation email.

Jgclancy

alexkean1986
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by alexkean1986 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:36 pm

good evening.

Can anyone advice on the following please... I made my application at the end of March2023 but the payment page crashed. I was then advised to wait to be contacted. Today i received an email requesting payment from someone that said they are processing my application. I have made the payment. My question is does this mean my application is due to complete in a couple of weeks or that the current 9 month waiting time starts now?
Thank you in advance for any information

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:51 pm

alexkean1986 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:36 pm
good evening.

Can anyone advice on the following please... I made my application at the end of March2023 but the payment page crashed. I was then advised to wait to be contacted. Today i received an email requesting payment from someone that said they are processing my application. I have made the payment. My question is does this mean my application is due to complete in a couple of weeks or that the current 9 month waiting time starts now?
Thank you in advance for any information
The clock starts ticking when they have received your documents. If they have asked for payment that means they are processing your application now, so yes, probably in a couple of weeks you should get congratulations or the dreaded further documentation request.

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Paddystarni » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:22 am

Hi everyone! Very grateful for this forum, it’s helping me with my patience - it’ll all be worth it! Looking at everyone’s timelines, I imagine I have another 4/5 months until the congratulation email (fingers crossed)

I applied for my Irish passport which was relatively straight forward. I then decided to apply for my two children’s FBR knowing it could take a couple of years.. After applying online and paying, it took a good few months for me to collect all the documents I needed and get them signed! After all that work you can imagine how nervous I was posting them. Everyone seemed confused about the customs declaration and should I list every single document! Also the value of the package as I paid a fair amount for new certificates to be sent for this application.

In the end I just declared “FBR documents” and the price of what the documents cost but I was still a little uneasy. I sent on the day after the Royal Mail strike after it was hacked so they had a huge backlog.

I didn’t expect to hear anything back at all and was afraid the documents were lost until I received the application received email! That’s when I could relax knowing the ball was now in their court.

Also I realised I didn’t need duplicate copies for my children’s applications and they could have shared one set DOH! Either way I’m sure they have all and more than they need which can’t be a bad thing right? 😂

Application submitted: 03/09/22
Documents sent: 23/02/23
Application received: 20/03/23

Good luck everyone!

adlarson
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by adlarson » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:57 pm

What experience have folks had with the Irish grandparent birth certificate using a name that they later shortened? Our grandfather had no less than 5 names on his Irish birth certificate, but as early as university he was using just 3 of them (first, middle, last) and for his last name he was using a shortened version…his marriage, children’s birth certificates and death area are consistent..they all use the same 3 names….and his death certificate says he was born in Ireland on the same date as his Irish birth certificate…what we dont have is any sort of document that says he changed his name from the 5 down to the abbreviated 3….all we know is he did that before he entered university around 1915. BTW: He was born in the 1890’s. My question is…how hard core are the Irish authorities with this sort of similar but not exactly the same name?

Newt
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Newt » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:31 pm

adlarson wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:57 pm
What experience have folks had with the Irish grandparent birth certificate using a name that they later shortened? Our grandfather had no less than 5 names on his Irish birth certificate, but as early as university he was using just 3 of them (first, middle, last) and for his last name he was using a shortened version…his marriage, children’s birth certificates and death area are consistent..they all use the same 3 names….and his death certificate says he was born in Ireland on the same date as his Irish birth certificate…what we dont have is any sort of document that says he changed his name from the 5 down to the abbreviated 3….all we know is he did that before he entered university around 1915. BTW: He was born in the 1890’s. My question is…how hard core are the Irish authorities with this sort of similar but not exactly the same name?
I don't have an answer for you I'm sorry, but I am dealing with a similar situation! I am worried about sending my application because my Irish grandmother is "Annie" on everything except her death certificate and last passport which are "Anne" without any documentation.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:07 pm

adlarson wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:57 pm
They are quite used to variations of names & dates. If any doubt just add a notarized letter explaining the variances. As long as they have the correct documents they'll figure it out. Since born pre-1900 I'd tell you to include any censuses you can too.
Jgclancy

danp142
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by danp142 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:11 pm

Hi guys. Another FBS applicant here.

I sent my documents in March this year and haven't heard anything since. It seems like most people here got a receipt or documents received email. So now I'm concerned that they never received the application. Did anyone else hear nothing after sending their application?

alexkean1986
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by alexkean1986 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:05 am

Good afternoon.
Today I received an email which I will post below. Can I get excited yet and does anyone know how long I can expect to wait if of course I didn't make a mistake on the application.

Thanks In advance for any information.
Application and confirmation of receipt march 2023

I am currently dealing with your application for entry into the Foreign Births Register.

To ensure these documents are dispatched to the correct address, you should confirm your address by return e-mail. If you have moved address since you completed your application, you should provide a scanned copy of proof of that new address, e.g. original utility bills, bank statements, or government correspondence, dated within the last six months.

You will receive a confirmation e-mail if your application is successful, but should further documentation be required to support your application, I will be in further contact with you.

Receipt of this e-mail is not an indication of a successful outcome to your application, however confirmation of your address will facilitate us in processing your application more efficiently.

Please note that your documents will be sent via Registered Post and will need to be signed for in person on receipt.

I look forward to hearing from you

Best Regards

adlarson
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by adlarson » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:29 pm

This is the address check email, it’s a very good sign, it means they have reviewed everything and it looks good, they probably do one more final review. The “application approved” email is next and should arrive in 1-4 weeks, 1-2 weeks after that the actual FBR certificate and your original docs.

its all good

BTW: What date in march 2023 did you get your “documents received” email? Trying to determine where they are in the queue…thanx

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Paddystarni » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:41 pm

danp142 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:11 pm
Hi guys. Another FBS applicant here.

I sent my documents in March this year and haven't heard anything since. It seems like most people here got a receipt or documents received email. So now I'm concerned that they never received the application. Did anyone else hear nothing after sending their application?
I found the application received in my junk mail at the time, so you may have missed it if your junk mail deletes things after some time. They do have an online chat though so maybe try asking on there? Worth a shot

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Paddystarni » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:44 pm

alexkean1986 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:05 am
Good afternoon.
Today I received an email which I will post below. Can I get excited yet and does anyone know how long I can expect to wait if of course I didn't make a mistake on the application.

Thanks In advance for any information.
Application and confirmation of receipt march 2023

I am currently dealing with your application for entry into the Foreign Births Register.

To ensure these documents are dispatched to the correct address, you should confirm your address by return e-mail. If you have moved address since you completed your application, you should provide a scanned copy of proof of that new address, e.g. original utility bills, bank statements, or government correspondence, dated within the last six months.

You will receive a confirmation e-mail if your application is successful, but should further documentation be required to support your application, I will be in further contact with you.

Receipt of this e-mail is not an indication of a successful outcome to your application, however confirmation of your address will facilitate us in processing your application more efficiently.

Please note that your documents will be sent via Registered Post and will need to be signed for in person on receipt.

I look forward to hearing from you

Best Regards

This is exciting! I also applied received confirmation of receipt in March 2023 so maybe I’ll get this email too soon!! Many have posted that they receive the address confirmation before the congratulations email so I think you’re almost there. Hopefully!

Ironlung
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ironlung » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:50 am

Question about additional docs...

Has anyone heard of an instance where a request for additional documents was made, the applicant supplied them, and then subsequently had a second request for additional documents that was different to the first one (i.e. not a repeat of the first additional docs request due to issue with the additional docs that were sent)?

E.g. applicant gets additional docs request to supply a new application form due to issue with witness date not aligning with the date the applicant signed.

If no other issues were flagged by DFA with the document or application at that point, is it safe to assume the other docs sent in originally were assessed and deemed to be fine?

Or might DFA later flag a second, new issue when they revisit the application later?

Matt_UK
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Matt_UK » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:33 pm

Ironlung wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:50 am
Question about additional docs...

Has anyone heard of an instance where a request for additional documents was made, the applicant supplied them, and then subsequently had a second request for additional documents that was different to the first one (i.e. not a repeat of the first additional docs request due to issue with the additional docs that were sent)?

E.g. applicant gets additional docs request to supply a new application form due to issue with witness date not aligning with the date the applicant signed.

If no other issues were flagged by DFA with the document or application at that point, is it safe to assume the other docs sent in originally were assessed and deemed to be fine?

Or might DFA later flag a second, new issue when they revisit the application later?
They will have reviewed the application and asked for anything extra they require. I believe only if there was something wrong with the additional documents would they ask again.

Ironlung
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ironlung » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:03 pm

Matt_UK wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:33 pm

They will have reviewed the application and asked for anything extra they require. I believe only if there was something wrong with the additional documents would they ask again.
Thanks very much. I was originally expecting an additional docs request because my father's passport (I'm applying through my Irish-born Grandfather) ran out since I sent the application in at the start of the year, but in the end they only requested a new witness form because my signature's date had a different date to my witness's. It'll be a relief if it's just 'one and done'.

Rustymammy
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Rustymammy » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:52 am

Hello
I am new to this so really hope I do not mess up. So amazing that this forum exists. I submitted my children's application in April 2023 and received an acknowledgment email in April 2023. Reading through the threads looks like they are dealing with March 2023 applications suggesting April is next. My question is can you just ring up the FBR and request where in line the application is or would this be frowned upon, don't want to jeopardise anything.

Thank you in advance
Karen

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:14 pm

Rustymammy wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:52 am
Hello
I am new to this so really hope I do not mess up. So amazing that this forum exists. I submitted my children's application in April 2023 and received an acknowledgment email in April 2023. Reading through the threads looks like they are dealing with March 2023 applications suggesting April is next. My question is can you just ring up the FBR and request where in line the application is or would this be frowned upon, don't want to jeopardise anything.

Thank you in advance
Karen
You aren’t going to endanger anything, but you are also unlikely to get a response that means anything. It also won’t speed anything up. If you can, the most anxiety-free route is to forget about it until they contact you.

adlarson
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by adlarson » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:58 pm

The google sheet tracker shows the most recent "address confirmation" was sent on Nov 17th for an application received march 26th 2023, the "application approved" emails appear to then be sent out 1-4 weeks later

JoannaKJ
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoannaKJ » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:04 am

Hi all,

After I received my citizenship last year my three sisters were inspired to do the same. They sent off a joint application with their three different addresses (two in UK one in France) and three different countries of birth (Australia, Canada and UK - our parents were great travellers), so not all that straightforward. They received the congratulations email within an hour of one another, suggesting that even though checking the documents involved four different countries, FBR waited for everything to be complete before issuing joint congratulations.

Application date: 16/12/22
Docs received: 3/1/23
Address check: not received
Congratulations: 22/11/23
Certificate: TBA

I have updated the spreadsheet. Next step, passports then off to Balbriggan to look up our grandfather's family!

Shord
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by Shord » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:09 pm

I haven’t submitted yet. Did you find any more information about this?
teranos wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:34 pm
Did you get a certified translation ? My proofs of address are in spanish too
Shord wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:42 pm
Hi everyone,

One question. I am planning to submit my application for the FBR soon but as I live in Spain my proof of address is in Spanish e.g bank and proof of address from local council. Is this ok or should I get it translated?

Shord
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by Shord » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:09 pm

I haven’t submitted yet. Did you find any more information about this?
teranos wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:34 pm
Did you get a certified translation ? My proofs of address are in spanish too
Shord wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:42 pm
Hi everyone,

One question. I am planning to submit my application for the FBR soon but as I live in Spain my proof of address is in Spanish e.g bank and proof of address from local council. Is this ok or should I get it translated?

Shord
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by Shord » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:11 pm

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if we can submit the proof of Address in a non English language ? I have two proofs of Address from Spain. Do they have to be translated?

Shord
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by Shord » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:36 pm

If there is no name change would I need to include my marriage certificate?

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:29 pm

Shord wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:11 pm
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if we can submit the proof of Address in a non English language ? I have two proofs of Address from Spain. Do they have to be translated?
I believe everything that is not in English/Irish language will need to be translated to English/Irish. We Irish descendants should always keep in mind this is a lucky accident that we are able to become Irish so always include official documents that will help the DFA show that we are who we say we are. A marriage certificate may seem unnecessary but it corroborates names/ages / fathers names etc that should all correspond with birth certificates also. Very useful for linking generations.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:02 pm

Shord wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:36 pm
Because it isn’t just your application. Should you have future children or grandchildren apply for FBR their documents will be cross-checked against your application. Just as if you’ve had cousins apply, your documents will be compared to theirs to check ancestors in common are being presented with the same information.