ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vineet17
Newly Registered
India

Naturalisation Queries

Post by vineet17 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:55 pm

Hello,

Grateful if someone can help with a couple of queries I have regarding my Naturalisation Application. I'm applying online through the 5 yearly ILR route.

1) Under section 'Conviction & Other Penalties', there's a question asking 'if you've ever had in UK A Penalty for a driving offence, for example disqualification for speeding or no motor insurance'.
My question is that over an year ago I had a speeding fine from the local constabulary and had to attend the speeding awareness course - no disqualification or any other issues. Can I still answer this no?

2) Regarding second referee, which can be on any nationality who has professional standing. I have a friend who has an engineering master's degree. Does that count or does he need to be accredited with a professional body?

3) As part of the online application, do I need to submit any physical documents by post, such as Life in the UK certificate, English language certificate, or signed document from my referees?

4) Is there any requirement to submit utility bills, mortgage statement, or bank statements as part of the application?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Naturalisation Queries

Post by meself2 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:59 pm

vineet17 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:55 pm
. I have a friend who has an engineering master's degree. Does that count or does he need to be accredited with a professional body?
Has to be accredited.
vineet17 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:55 pm
do I need to submit any physical documents by post
No, it's all uploaded online.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

vineet17
Newly Registered
India

Post by vineet17 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:46 pm

Thanks, meself2.

Can I ask if you have any idea about the other 2 questions?

1) Under section 'Conviction & Other Penalties', there's a question asking 'if you've ever had in UK A Penalty for a driving offence, for example disqualification for speeding or no motor insurance'.
My question is that over an year ago I had a speeding fine from the local constabulary and had to attend the speeding awareness course - no disqualification or any other issues. Can I still answer this no?

4) Is there any requirement to submit utility bills, mortgage statement, or bank statements as part of the application?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:11 pm

Speed awareness course doesn’t need to be disclosed. It’s not recorded as an offence.

Statements or Bills are not required also not accepted for this application.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vineet17
Newly Registered
India

Post by vineet17 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:30 pm

Many thanks, alterhase58.

Can I ask another question regarding the section that deals with previous immigration applications. I presume I need to include details of the application made for my ILR?

Do I also need to include details of any previous applications such as Tier 2 General Visa?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:40 pm

vineet17 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:30 pm
Many thanks, alterhase58.

Can I ask another question regarding the section that deals with previous immigration applications. I presume I need to include details of the application made for my ILR? Yes - ILR is immigration.

Do I also need to include details of any previous applications such as Tier 2 General Visa? All applications - as requested by the form.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

vineet17
Newly Registered
India

Post by vineet17 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:41 pm

Hello again. I had a couple of questions regarding the 'Documents' section, and I should then hopefully be able to submit this application:

1) On the bottom of the page it says no physical documents are needed to be sent to the Home Office. Just above that it also says 'Any passports provided must be originals.' Does that just mean that the scanned copies of my passport (first and last pages, and all stamped pages) need to be taken from the original?

2) As I'm making a digital application, on the referee form do I need to include a printed photo or a digital photo?

3) The referee form also says that I should write name and DOB on the back of photo. However, I'm confused by that since I understood these forms are not to be sent over physically - could someone clarify?

Many thanks,
Vineet

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:51 pm

vineet17 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:41 pm
Hello again. I had a couple of questions regarding the 'Documents' section, and I should then hopefully be able to submit this application:

1) On the bottom of the page it says no physical documents are needed to be sent to the Home Office. Just above that it also says 'Any passports provided must be originals.' Does that just mean that the scanned copies of my passport (first and last pages, and all stamped pages) need to be taken from the original? Just load the scans from your passport - I would expect you have the original to scan from. Can be from "printed" photo or a digital file.

2) As I'm making a digital application, on the referee form do I need to include a printed photo or a digital photo? Attach photograph to form, get referee to fill/sign and then scan completed form.

3) The referee form also says that I should write name and DOB on the back of photo. However, I'm confused by that since I understood these forms are not to be sent over physically - could someone clarify? Not necessary - this goes back to the paper form days.

Many thanks,
Vineet

vineet17
Newly Registered
India

Post by vineet17 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:06 pm

Hello again,

I've now completed my application and just need to attend for biometrics and to upload documents. Can I ask if there's an additional cost to book the biometrics appointment or is that included with the fee of £1330?

Thanks,
Vineet

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:10 pm

vineet17 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:06 pm
Hello again,

I've now completed my application and just need to attend for biometrics and to upload documents. Can I ask if there's an additional cost to book the biometrics appointment or is that included with the fee of £1330?

Thanks,
Vineet
Biometrics are taken by a 3rd party company, so depends on the slot - you can choose paid one or a free one (if available).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

vineet17
Newly Registered
India

Post by vineet17 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:21 am

Hello again,

I've now received confirmation of my application approval - thank you all for your support with the process.

I'm now looking to book my citizenship ceremony. I understand I would be provided the certificate during the ceremony and my BRP will then no longer be valid.

I'm planning to travel abroad soon and won't be able to receive my British passport prior to travel date. So my questions is if I can travel using my certificate instead of the BRP?

Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:29 am

Congratulations!

Ideally get the British passport first, if you can ....

You can still leave the UK with your foreign passport - if the BRP is still in date it will be accepted by the carrier for boarding the return journey. When returning, at the UK border show your certificate and explain, they might retain your BRP, it may take a bit longer. Note that a BC has an absolute right of abode in the UK, they can't refuse entry.

Note, the naturalisation certificate is not a travel document, only use it as proof you are British at the UK border. Foreign airline and border staff won't accept it for anything.

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:30 am

vineet17 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:21 am
Hello again,

I've now received confirmation of my application approval - thank you all for your support with the process.

I'm now looking to book my citizenship ceremony. I understand I would be provided the certificate during the ceremony and my BRP will then no longer be valid.

I'm planning to travel abroad soon and won't be able to receive my British passport prior to travel date. So my questions is if I can travel using my certificate instead of the BRP?

Thank you.
I don't believe you can use naturalisation certificate for travel.

out of interest did you use your engineering friend as referee in the end?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:33 am

bookerw100 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:30 am
I don't believe you can use naturalisation certificate for travel.

out of interest did you use your engineering friend as referee in the end?
I pointed that out in previous post - it's not a travel document, can be used at the UK border to prove you are British.

vineet17
Newly Registered
India

Post by vineet17 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:33 pm

Thank you for the feedback. I will postpone attending the citizenship ceremony until I return back from my travels.

I did not use my engineering friend and instead went for another who is a chartered engineer with a professional body.