ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewing child passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Renewing child passport

Post by VirtualWaver » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:05 am

Hi Guys,

Hope you all are doing well!

I am trying to renew my daughter's child British passport online and there is a confusing question which is "Do you have any passports from other countries?".

Now, my daughter does have a dual citizenship (but she was born in the UK), however, her passport from the other country expired a couple of years ago (not cancelled but expired) and we never applied for a new one, so she doesn't have a valid passport from the other country, only the expired one.

Shall I answer "Yes" or "No" to this question? Also, my understanding is that I do not need to send them her expired passport from the other country, correct?

I tried to look at the booklet: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... et_IND.pdf but it still doesn't answer my question.

Hope someone could shed some light to this. Thanks a lot!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Renewing child passport

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:57 am

It doesn’t ask for valid passport. So just send the expired one. Child can’t use it anyway. There’s no rule that it must be a valid passport.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:38 am

Make sure the names in the foreign passport exactly matches the names in the British passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:54 pm

vinny wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:38 am
Make sure the names in the foreign passport exactly matches the names in the British passport.
alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:57 am
It doesn’t ask for valid passport. So just send the expired one. Child can’t use it anyway. There’s no rule that it must be a valid passport.
Thanks a lot, both! The names match so its not an issue.

I will answer Yes and send her foreign expired passport then.

I also have 3 more questions, please.

1. This expired foreign passport is her latest one from the other country but she had 1 more passport before that too from the same country (which expired so she received this new (currently expired) one). Do I need to send both or just the most recent one?

2. Following the logic that I need to send her old expired passport with this application, does it mean that we will need to send this passport on each future passport renewal for the rest of her life? We are not planning to renew this foreign passport as not using it at all (can travel with British passport instead).

3. Likewise, we might consider renouncing our 2nd citizenship - in this case, do we still need to send that old, expired foreign passport on each application regardless that the citizenship was renounced? The online form is very confusing in this regard, simply asking "Do you have any passports from other countries" without giving an opportunity to clarify, so it is a bit unclear.

Thanks for this!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:11 pm

1. No, just the last one will do.
2. Possibly but the rules may change.
3. No, once you renounce the passport is basically cancelled so if it comes to it child will just say NO.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:53 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:11 pm
1. No, just the last one will do.
2. Possibly but the rules may change.
3. No, once you renounce the passport is basically cancelled so if it comes to it child will just say NO.
Thanks a million! - Bookmarked this page for the future ref.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:03 am

Why do you want to renounce your other citizenship?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.