ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Transit

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ted422
Newly Registered
Ireland

Irish Transit

Post by Ted422 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:26 am

Hi all - hoping someone can help as I cannot find any answers about this.

I am both a UK and Irish citizen - my wife is Russian with a British Residency Permit and we reside in Northern Ireland.

We want to travel from NI to Ireland and depart from Dublin airport and arrive back in Dublin airport again to return to NI - my wife does not currently hold any Irish visas although she has been granted temporary visas years ago.

We have three children, one Russian national also holding British Residency Permit and two other children who hold both Irish and UK citizenship.

Can someone please advise on if we would be allowed to depart from Dublin and would we be allowed to pass through immigration upon our return to Dublin in order to return back to NI.

Thank you

meself2
Ireland

Re: Irish Transit

Post by meself2 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:12 am

Ted422 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:26 am
Can someone please advise on if we would be allowed to depart from Dublin and would we be allowed to pass through immigration upon our return to Dublin in order to return back to NI.
I'm not sure if you'll be allowed to fly out - haven't gone to nonEU countries in a while so can't recall if there are checks. That could happen, though, resulting some of your family members having issues with immigration.

But I know for certain that your wife with a BRP is certainly not going to be allowed to go on a plane to Dublin when you return - she has no right to go into Ireland.
Your son with BRP is in the similar situation - he's just Russian, so no legal right to be in Ireland on his own. As Ireland cancelled re-entry visas for residents, you might try to argue your point by says you're a resident, but I wouldn't say its worth risking it, as you aren't, so if it gets uncovered, it'll be an issue.

Since you're an Irish national, EU Treaty rights do not apply, so they both need a visa.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... dex_en.htm
If, for example, you are a French citizen living in Italy, and your spouse is a US citizen, they can join you in Italy.

However, this does not apply to the country of your nationality. If, for example, you are a German national and your non-EU family members want to join you in Germany national rules apply.
You're better off getting them a visa (a forum member mentioned you can apply by post and it's not much hassle) or just fly from Belfast.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

New on forum
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by New on forum » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:50 am

You can easily use Dublin airport by getting Irish short stay visas for non eu family members . If applying from Belfast it's simple enough and no biometric required either . Myself and a friend use same method for our parents regularly.
Please see my previous post about his if you can , I don't now how to share the old post again .
Thank you

Ted422
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Ted422 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:22 pm

Thank you both kindly

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:24 pm

New on forum wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:50 am
You can easily use Dublin airport by getting Irish short stay visas for non eu family members . If applying from Belfast it's simple enough and no biometric required either . Myself and a friend use same method for our parents regularly.
Please see my previous post about his if you can , I don't now how to share the old post again .
Thank you
post2129997.html#p2129997
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.