ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settled status for dad -> British citizenship for newborn

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

luca1234
Newly Registered
Italy

Settled status for dad -> British citizenship for newborn

Post by luca1234 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:48 pm

Hi, my name is Luca, I have pre-settled status and I should be elegible for settled status at the end of Feb 2024. Around that time I am expecting the birth of a baby.
1 - Do I need to posses settled status or to be eligible for settled status to be able to register my baby as a British citizen?
2 - If the baby is born and the next day I get settled status, can I register him/her as a British citizen?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Settled status for dad -> British citizenship for newborn

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:54 pm

luca1234 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:48 pm
Hi, my name is Luca, I have pre-settled status and I should be elegible for settled status at the end of Feb 2024. Around that time I am expecting the birth of a baby.
1 - Do I need to posses settled status or to be eligible for settled status to be able to register my baby as a British citizen?
If child is born after you gain "Settled Status/ILR" then child is automatically British, no need to register, apply for passport. Otherwise you need to register child as British on form MN1 costs about £1100.
2 - If the baby is born and the next day I get settled status, can I register him/her as a British citizen? No. I know it sounds unfair but those are the rules.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:00 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:54 pm
If the baby is born and the next day I get settled status, can I register him/her as a British citizen? No.
A bit confused by this - why not?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:22 pm

Slightly confused….
Yes child can/has to be registered. If born before date of settlement. Was thinking about being British automatically. We have had questions about a scenario like that before ….
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:00 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:54 pm
luca1234 wrote:
If child is born after you gain "Settled Status/ILR" then child is automatically British, no need to register, apply for passport. Otherwise you need to register child as British on form MN1 costs about £1100.
2 - If the baby is born and the next day I get settled status, can I register him/her as a British citizen? No. I know it sounds unfair but those are the rules.
What is your nationality and your partner nationally and status?

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:14 am

Another topic discussing the same issue relating to ILR, maybe of help to you.

british-citizenship/ilr-parent-and-chil ... 41523.html

Odd-Ordinary8417
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Odd-Ordinary8417 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:46 am

luca1234 wrote:
2 - If the baby is born and the next day I get settled status, can I register him/her as a British citizen?
was in same situation as you, child born 1 month before my settled status so had registered him using MN1 form, if he was born after my settled status he would've be eligible for British passport, but had to pay £1100 . had naturlisation certificate within 3 months.