ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First Spouse visa FLM, self employment & employment to meet financial requirement?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mochi544
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

First Spouse visa FLM, self employment & employment to meet financial requirement?

Post by mochi544 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm finally in the process of getting everything together ready for our first spouse visa application. For some background, I'm a British citizen, and my partner is the applicant. He is originally from Saudi, but is currently on a graduate visa that ends at the end of this month. He will be switching from graduate to spouse visa.

I'm pretty confident with other aspects of the application but the financial one has been a bit of a minefield and I was looking for some reassurance.

I am sponsoring him, and using my employed income and self employed income as a sole trade from the 22/23 financial year to meet the financial requirement. I already have all the documentation required, but wanted I've heard some horror stories of applications being rejected because the sponsor thought the gross income from self employment would be enough to meet the financial requirement, however, I believe it is the net income after expenses that will be counted.

1. On my SA302, my accountant has confirmed both my total income from employment, and total income from self employment which combined is £28k+. (I won't put the exact figure here, but it obviously exceeds the £18,600 requirement so will I be okay?) For the self employment figure, it's listed as 'profit from self employment' so surely this is the 'net' pay I received after expenses? I didn't want to be caught out by the 'gross' and 'net' thing I've seen happen to others.

2. I will also be providing 2 emails I received from HMRC confirming I made payment for the 22/23 financial year. I paid one big chunk back in October and just yesterday made a second payment to complete everything owed for the 22/23 financial year. Will the emails suffice as evidence or should I provide some bank statements as well showing the transactions?

3. To show ongoing employment and self employment, I will also submit November's bank statement, and payslip. I'll also provide the invoices from self employment too. Will this be okay?

I really appreciate any help with this, as I've found it very difficult to navigate as combining employment with self employment doesn't seem to be very common.

Bobi123321
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: First Spouse visa FLM, self employment & employment to meet financial requirement?

Post by Bobi123321 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:14 pm

Are you able to rely just on your salaried employment, showing bank statements and payslips for the 6 months prior to the application, to meet the £18,600 (gross) requirement?

mochi544
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: First Spouse visa FLM, self employment & employment to meet financial requirement?

Post by mochi544 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:49 pm

Hello, no I can not rely on salaried employment alone as it’s under £18,600. This is why I am combining both my employer and self employed income to meet the financial requirement.

mochi544
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by mochi544 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:42 pm

Anyone able to help with the above?

asingh42
United Kingdom

Post by asingh42 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:56 pm

mochi544 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:18 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm finally in the process of getting everything together ready for our first spouse visa application. For some background, I'm a British citizen, and my partner is the applicant. He is originally from Saudi, but is currently on a graduate visa that ends at the end of this month. He will be switching from graduate to spouse visa.

I'm pretty confident with other aspects of the application but the financial one has been a bit of a minefield and I was looking for some reassurance.

I am sponsoring him, and using my employed income and self employed income as a sole trade from the 22/23 financial year to meet the financial requirement. I already have all the documentation required, but wanted I've heard some horror stories of applications being rejected because the sponsor thought the gross income from self employment would be enough to meet the financial requirement, however, I believe it is the net income after expenses that will be counted.

1. On my SA302, my accountant has confirmed both my total income from employment, and total income from self employment which combined is £28k+. (I won't put the exact figure here, but it obviously exceeds the £18,600 requirement so will I be okay?) For the self employment figure, it's listed as 'profit from self employment' so surely this is the 'net' pay I received after expenses? I didn't want to be caught out by the 'gross' and 'net' thing I've seen happen to others.

2. I will also be providing 2 emails I received from HMRC confirming I made payment for the 22/23 financial year. I paid one big chunk back in October and just yesterday made a second payment to complete everything owed for the 22/23 financial year. Will the emails suffice as evidence or should I provide some bank statements as well showing the transactions?

3. To show ongoing employment and self employment, I will also submit November's bank statement, and payslip. I'll also provide the invoices from self employment too. Will this be okay?

I really appreciate any help with this, as I've found it very difficult to navigate as combining employment with self employment doesn't seem to be very common.
You can apply under Category F which will allow you to combine self employment earning and Employment, however the employment income needs to be part of the same tax year as self employment. So the most recent tax return 05/04/23 can be used .

Also the income from self employment is always net which is profit after deducting all expenses.

Further you must also currently have the same source of income relied on in the tax return.

Appendix FM states the following:
". Under Category F or Category G, all sources of income must fall within the
financial year(s) relied on and must still be a source of income at the time of
application. For example, to count income from property rental the income must have
been received during the relevant financial year(s) and the property must still be
owned by the relevant person at the date of application. "