ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long for passport

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shoeswith
Newly Registered

How long for passport

Post by shoeswith » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:56 am

Hi

My wife got indefinite leave to remain in 2013. We have been married for over 10 years and have a Child born in UK. Her UK resident card has a date that runs out in October 2024. She has a job etc. We should have applied for a British passport long ago but didn't until this November. So she has 11 months until the end date on her residency card.

My question is first how long is the process of issuing her first passport likely to take. On the government web site it says around 6 months. Is this accurate? What would happen if her passport didn't arrive in time. Can we get a new residency Id card with a new end date. Is there anything else we can do?

shoeswith
Newly Registered

Re: How long for passport

Post by shoeswith » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:04 am

By residency card I mean her BRP. Should she apply for a new BRP as well as applying for the passport.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:09 am

Can you clairfy you have applied for her naturalisation to becone british, not just for a british passport direcly?

A brp card expires like a drivers license, it is the card that expires not her ILR status.

Any new brp card eill expire on 31 dec 2024 when a digital status will be implemented.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shoeswith
Newly Registered

Post by shoeswith » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:21 am

Yes we have applied for naturalisation. We have finished the online process got references had new biometric info taken and paid the £1500 fee. Should we apply for new BRP anyway. I was worried about BRP running out because I think she can't work if it does.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:34 am

shoeswith wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:21 am
Yes we have applied for naturalisation.
Then there's no certain timelines, each application is different. The standard timeline is six months.
shoeswith wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:21 am
Should we apply for new BRP anyway.
You will only get a BRP valid for another month and a bit! I don't think there's a point in renewing it.
https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... rt-problem
You will not need a BRP from 1 January 2025. You’ll be able to prove your immigration status online, without a BRP.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.