ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS IT Roles (New Skilled Worker threshold change)

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rioust
Newly Registered
India

NHS IT Roles (New Skilled Worker threshold change)

Post by rioust » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:47 pm

Hi,

I have been offered a Band 6 position for NHS IT role (Non-Clinical Staff) and they would be giving me a COS. I have a couple of questions:

1. Will NHS IT roles be exempted from the Minimum Threshold (£38,700) as the new immigration rules states that NHS workers and National Pay Scales will be exempted. Its not clear whether NHS IT Roles will be exempted from the decision as the banding and salary is set by the government.
2. Does NHS IT role fall under the Health and Care visa route?
3. Do you have to pay for Immigration Health Surcharge for IT Roles in NHS?
4. My SOC Code will probably be 2136 whose min threshold is £34000, Band 6 starts from £35000, so if they raise the threshold to £38700, I wont be able to apply for the role?
5. Its odd that without revising NHS banding, government has just applied a blanket threshold which will affect many non-clinical roles.

Below is the extract from recent immigration rule change:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/home ... -migration

Those coming on the Health and Care visa route will be exempted from the increase to the salary threshold for Skilled Worker visas, so we can continue to bring the healthcare workers that our care sector and NHS need, and we will exempt those on national pay scales, for example teachers.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: NHS IT Roles (New Skilled Worker threshold change)

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:38 pm

The total ramifications of the proposal is mot yet known. The questions posed may be better suited for your prospective employer I.e. NHS to answer so ask them for specifics of what or how it affects you/your role.

rioust
Newly Registered
India

Post by rioust » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:03 pm

Thanks for your response.

I wanted to know in general if NHS IT roles fell under the NHS Healthcare umbrella and if people who have got NHS sponsored IT jobs had to pay for immigration surchage or applied for a refund later.

ska_abbas

Post by ska_abbas » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:05 am

rioust wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:47 pm
Hi,

I have been offered a Band 6 position for NHS IT role (Non-Clinical Staff) and they would be giving me a COS. I have a couple of questions:

1. Will NHS IT roles be exempted from the Minimum Threshold (£38,700) as the new immigration rules states that NHS workers and National Pay Scales will be exempted. Its not clear whether NHS IT Roles will be exempted from the decision as the banding and salary is set by the government.
2. Does NHS IT role fall under the Health and Care visa route?
3. Do you have to pay for Immigration Health Surcharge for IT Roles in NHS?
4. My SOC Code will probably be 2136 whose min threshold is £34000, Band 6 starts from £35000, so if they raise the threshold to £38700, I wont be able to apply for the role?
5. Its odd that without revising NHS banding, government has just applied a blanket threshold which will affect many non-clinical roles.

Below is the extract from recent immigration rule change:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/home ... -migration

Those coming on the Health and Care visa route will be exempted from the increase to the salary threshold for Skilled Worker visas, so we can continue to bring the healthcare workers that our care sector and NHS need, and we will exempt those on national pay scales, for example teachers.

1 - No they are not exempted, and with your role, you would need a minimum of £38,700 based on 37.5 hours working week.
2 - No they do not. The health and care is for health professionals, which you are not.
3 - Yes, but you can claim this money back in 6 months installments as long as you work in health and social care sector. https://www.gov.uk/apply-immigration-he ... re-setting
4 - Correct, but I think if you can apply now, it shuold be okay, but check with your employer

rioust
Newly Registered
India

Post by rioust » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:04 pm

Thank you.

By any chance, would you know if NHS would be willing to withdraw the COS if I dont take up the job and go for another job.

ska_abbas

Post by ska_abbas » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:19 pm

rioust wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:04 pm
Thank you.

By any chance, would you know if NHS would be willing to withdraw the COS if I dont take up the job and go for another job.
I am sure they would, but you would need to inform them if you are no longer interested. To qualify for skilled worker visa on new salary thresholds, I think you need minimum of Band 7 job, and that too depends if the current going rate do not go up next spring.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:20 pm

rioust wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:04 pm
Thank you.

This is a question for the sponsor. We cannot know or tell you if they will. But you would have to ask them to withdraw it before a new CoS can be assigned by another sponsor.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rioust
Newly Registered
India

Post by rioust » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:41 pm

Thank you both for your replies.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:38 pm

You don't mandatorily need to find a role that pays £38,700 now because these new requirements are NOT YET implemented, and most likely will not be retroactive (or retrospective).

The NHS is probably the last employer capable to offer a minimum of £38,700 to all their sponsored foreign workers. And I can suspect the vast majority of other sponsors, i.e. SMEs who simply cannot offer such salary.

rioust
Newly Registered
India

Post by rioust » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:25 pm

I agree, plus all the NHS bands and salaries have been set the government.

Its a shame that non-clinical roles are looked at differently although they fall under the wider NHS umbrella so why not enjoy the exemption and benefits of the other NHS medical roles.

Its a tough time out there with so many companies making redundancies, so good luck to everyone.