ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by teranos » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:28 am

Hi , i did certified translation for everything . :( , to avoid wasting time.
Shord wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:09 pm
I haven’t submitted yet. Did you find any more information about this?
teranos wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:34 pm
Did you get a certified translation ? My proofs of address are in spanish too
Shord wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:42 pm
Hi everyone,

One question. I am planning to submit my application for the FBR soon but as I live in Spain my proof of address is in Spanish e.g bank and proof of address from local council. Is this ok or should I get it translated?

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by teranos » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:28 am

Hi , i did certified translation for everything . :( , to avoid wasting time.
Shord wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:09 pm
I haven’t submitted yet. Did you find any more information about this?
teranos wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:34 pm
Did you get a certified translation ? My proofs of address are in spanish too
Shord wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:42 pm
Hi everyone,

One question. I am planning to submit my application for the FBR soon but as I live in Spain my proof of address is in Spanish e.g bank and proof of address from local council. Is this ok or should I get it translated?

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by teranos » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:59 am

Yeah , so basically i thought it might be faster from Mexico or some other countries.
But a person who work there told me everything is sent to Ireland :( lol

JoannaKJ wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:04 am
Hi all,

After I received my citizenship last year my three sisters were inspired to do the same. They sent off a joint application with their three different addresses (two in UK one in France) and three different countries of birth (Australia, Canada and UK - our parents were great travellers), so not all that straightforward. They received the congratulations email within an hour of one another, suggesting that even though checking the documents involved four different countries, FBR waited for everything to be complete before issuing joint congratulations.

Application date: 16/12/22
Docs received: 3/1/23
Address check: not received
Congratulations: 22/11/23
Certificate: TBA

I have updated the spreadsheet. Next step, passports then off to Balbriggan to look up our grandfather's family!

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by teranos » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:18 am

its's good to know we can mail documents. I guess scanned copies ?
Dem799 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:46 am
Vadrar wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:51 am
Dem799 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:04 am
Vadrar wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:24 pm
Dem799 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:23 am
Hello!

Documentation received 27 October 2022.
A further certified copy of parents ID was requested on 21 August 2023 and sent across via email (as requested) 22 August 2023.

Since then I have not heard a thing; no confirmation that the further documentation was received and when I called the FBR office they said I might not receive an update until after Christmas!

Just really disheartening when the waiting times have decreased so much.

Has anyone else had a similar instance and, if so, how long did it take for you to receive your congratulations email?

Was really hoping this would be completed after around 12 months based on the waiting times going down to 9 months
I’m not an FBR expert, but eyeballing other messages on this thread over time suggests that congratulations emails tend to come 6 months after additional documents requested. That would fit with the office response of ‘after Christmas’ (August plus 6 months = February)

In the interests of helping others avoid an additional documents request do you know why they requested a second copy of parents’ ID? Did one of those original IDs expire before August or recently? I know they will often ask for ID again if the original copies have an expiry date before FBR is completed.

In any case, here’s hoping you get your congratulations email soon.
They put in their email:

Unfortunately I cannot proceed with your application without the following documents:

PARENT :

Photocopy of current state-issued ID document (i.e. passport, drivers licence, national identity card) signed by a professional from the list of witnesses as a true copy of the original

I do remember putting the photocopy in, so I can only assume that they have somehow misplaced it or my memory fails me!

When my dad was applying for his passport, they said that his birth certificate had gone missing when he had also sent it through.

Hopefully I get it back soon! I think it’s the radio silence with no confirmation of whether they have even received your return email which is frustrating
They do lose documents unfortunately. It sounds however that the parents ID that you supplied is no longer current (even if it was when you submitted it.) They will ask for a resubmission of ID if it has expired before they process it.

Good luck, hope you get it soon.

So for others who are going to apply: worthwhile picking the longest-valid ID you can. Some people even renew ID before applying to get more validity time, but not always possible of course.
Thank you so much! It was definitely still valid as it’s the same ID that I sent another copy over - I think maybe I need to quadruple check all the documents next time.

Congratulations email finally received today. Timeline as follows:-

Documents received: 27 October 2022.
A further certified copy of parents ID was requested on 21 August 2023 and sent across via email (as requested) 22 August 2023.
Congratulations email: 1 November 2023

danp142
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by danp142 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:27 pm

Paddystarni wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:41 pm
danp142 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:11 pm
Hi guys. Another FBS applicant here.

I sent my documents in March this year and haven't heard anything since. It seems like most people here got a receipt or documents received email. So now I'm concerned that they never received the application. Did anyone else hear nothing after sending their application?
I found the application received in my junk mail at the time, so you may have missed it if your junk mail deletes things after some time. They do have an online chat though so maybe try asking on there? Worth a shot
Can you link me to this online chat? I can't find one on the dfa.ie website?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:03 pm

danp142 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:27 pm
Paddystarni wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:41 pm
danp142 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:11 pm
Hi guys. Another FBS applicant here.

I sent my documents in March this year and haven't heard anything since. It seems like most people here got a receipt or documents received email. So now I'm concerned that they never received the application. Did anyone else hear nothing after sending their application?
I found the application received in my junk mail at the time, so you may have missed it if your junk mail deletes things after some time. They do have an online chat though so maybe try asking on there? Worth a shot
Can you link me to this online chat? I can't find one on the dfa.ie website?
https://www.dfa.ie/passports/contact/

Down below is the button for online chat; it's past 4:30 Ireland now though, so try tomorrow.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:27 pm

Just an update from my recent post. I helped a friend as well as a third cousin apply to FBR.
Happy to say that both received the " application received e-mail " after a week or two.
Now...the many months long wait for hopefully the " address correct ? email "
I told them to now forget about it & not worry. Let the system do its thing.

Jgclancy

ronaldbutterbean
Newly Registered
Christmas Island

Post by ronaldbutterbean » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:42 am

jgclancy wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:27 pm
Just an update from my recent post. I helped a friend as well as a third cousin apply to FBR.
Happy to say that both received the " application received e-mail " after a week or two.

Jgclancy

Probably about 10 months as long as there is no extra documents required.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:59 pm

ronaldbutterbean wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:42 am
jgclancy wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:27 pm

Jgclancy

Probably about 10 months as long as there is no extra documents required.
That's my hope. Way better than my 2 1/2 year long FBR journey due to Brexit & Covid & the US Postal Service.
Crossing fingers that all goessmoothly.

Jgclancy

wiivile
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by wiivile » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:32 pm

Are they less strict with the FBR photos than with passport photos? Because they don't really give any specifications or requirements of the photos, which I know are pretty strict for passports. They just say 'passport-sized', which I take to mean the standard EU 35mm x 45mm.

Also, unfortunately in the state of New York, notaries are not permitted to certify copies of documents (my state-issued ID) so I have to find someone else to serve as my witness who has a stamp/business card/letterhead...ugh

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Paddystarni » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:30 pm

Has anyone else made the application then moved address?
When they send me the confirm address Mail, is it just as simple as giving the new address or will they then need new proof of address sent to them 😩😩

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:35 am

Paddystarni wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:30 pm
Has anyone else made the application then moved address?
When they send me the confirm address Mail, is it just as simple as giving the new address or will they then need new proof of address sent to them 😩😩
They'll need proof (since address would be on the certificate afaik).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Frances#7
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Frances#7 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:05 pm

Hi folks,

I'm really struggling to make a direct connection with my Irish grandfather and wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation. He didn't sign his children's birth certificates, was not married to my grandmother who died shortly after my mother was born, and my mother was taken into care and adopted as an infant, so it's very difficult to make a direct link.

My mum was given his surname at birth, and a solicitor suggested trying to add my grandfather to my mum's birth certificate, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing that even if it's possible. And it would surely come back to the same question of how to prove my grandfather was my mum's father through official documentation.

Has anyone successfully demonstrated the link through care documents or other non-official documentation? I've been unsuccessful getting a reply from the local authority but it's probably my last hope.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:47 pm

Frances#7 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:05 pm
Hi folks,

I'm really struggling to make a direct connection with my Irish grandfather and wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation. He didn't sign his children's birth certificates, was not married to my grandmother who died shortly after my mother was born, and my mother was taken into care and adopted as an infant, so it's very difficult to make a direct link.

My mum was given his surname at birth, and a solicitor suggested trying to add my grandfather to my mum's birth certificate, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing that even if it's possible. And it would surely come back to the same question of how to prove my grandfather was my mum's father through official documentation.

Has anyone successfully demonstrated the link through care documents or other non-official documentation? I've been unsuccessful getting a reply from the local authority but it's probably my last hope.
I can’t comment on care or adoption documents, I’ll leave that to those better qualified.

But re other routes: when you say he didn’t sign his children’s birth certs, is he listed as the father at all? Does his death(assuming he has passed) list his children? Do your mother’s care or adoption documents list him? Does your mother have him named on her marriage or death cert if either is applicable? Does your mother have a baptismal record listing her father?

These routes are less effective but can be supportive: Did he leave a will and list his children?
Can you find him on census records listing his children?

We are getting some traction on association applications with a missing father on birth cert through the routes above. Association isn’t FBR, but they share similar documentation requirements.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:53 am

wiivile wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:32 pm
Are they less strict with the FBR photos than with passport photos? Because they don't really give any specifications or requirements of the photos, which I know are pretty strict for passports. They just say 'passport-sized', which I take to mean the standard EU 35mm x 45mm.

Also, unfortunately in the state of New York, notaries are not permitted to certify copies of documents (my state-issued ID) so I have to find someone else to serve as my witness who has a stamp/business card/letterhead...ugh
in NY they can notarize IDs but the page has to have a statement. Thus, they are notarizing the person's statement about the ID and not the ID itself. Some notaries won't but some will.

The application itself & photographs don't need notarizing . Just the witnesses signature and date. It must be same date as applicants date btw. Plus, a business card or letter from the witness if no stamp ( in USA we don't usually have the stamps) The witness then gets your ID with declaration statement notarized.

Examp!e: Photocopy of state ID or Passport of applicant

I, witnesses name, certify that this is a true copy of applicants passport.

Signature of witness. Date
Printed name of witness

Notary Stamp

Photos should just be EU passport sized photos. 4 photos with 2 signed & dated by witness.Date must match the application date. Passport office seems a bit more picky about the actual photos than the FBR but the size matters because it has to fit in the space they have for attaching to your certificate.

lukys
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lukys » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:21 pm

Shord wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:11 pm
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if we can submit the proof of Address in a non English language ? I have two proofs of Address from Spain. Do they have to be translated?
I submitted French documents from France. I had called the helpline, who told me I should contact the Irish embassy in Paris for information about certified translators, but when I emailed the embassy they told me I didn't need translations.

So what I did was just auto-translate the images with Google Translate. I included a print-out of the email from the embassy and I explained in my cover letter that the embassy had assured me translations weren't required but that I'd be including machine translations "just to make your lives easier".

I've only just submitted the application so I'll let everyone know how successful that strategy was in 9 month's time.

Rustymammy
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Rustymammy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:53 pm

Hello
Does anyone have a link to view the Google Tracker Spreadsheet?
Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:29 pm

Rustymammy wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:53 pm
Hello
Does anyone have a link to view the Google Tracker Spreadsheet?
Thank you
In the signature of this user GoingBackBackToEire

ireland/foreign-birth-registration-t277 ... l#p2134395
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

passmeaguinness
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by passmeaguinness » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:52 pm

Success!

Application date: 31/01/23
Docs posted: 24/02/23 (Royal Mail then lost my letter in Heathrow for a month/postal strike)
Docs received: 29/03/23
Address check: 14/11/23
Congratulations: 04/12/23

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:02 pm

passmeaguinness wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:52 pm
Success!

Application date: 31/01/23
Docs posted: 24/02/23 (Royal Mail then lost my letter in Heathrow for a month/postal strike)
Docs received: 29/03/23
Address check: 14/11/23
Congratulations: 04/12/23
Congrats!...cracking a beer for you now!
Remember to make a few copies when it arrives in the mail.
Jgclancy

wiivile
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by wiivile » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:06 pm

Newt wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:09 pm
mm514 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:57 pm
I had a similar issue - called the hotline and they confirmed that it's fine to have a new witness!
Newt wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:10 am
Hi everyone, the witness (notary) for my irish parent's ID is different than the witness for my ID, photos, and FBR application. Is this a problem?
Thank you!!!
Yeah, they can't require the same witness for different people's documents... the different people could live in different countries. I used a different witness for my application form/photos/ID than I did to certify the copy of my dad's ID because my dad lives thousands of miles away.

MrWpbs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by MrWpbs » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:16 pm

Hi everyone

I have been following this thread closely as I submitted my documents in January of this year and they were received in February. I am in the position of being estranged from my Irish side of the family so although I was able to obtain birth certificates, I haven't been able to get copies of state issued identification. Last week the foreign birth register office emailed me to request these documents (despite putting a cover letter in explaining the situation). I have reiterated via email that I am not able to provide the status issued ID, however I am happy to send in a notarised affidavit. I have had the below response:

"You will need to submit the notarised affidavit with an explanation of the situation regarding being estranged from that side of the family. Your application will be reviewed by management when the notarised affidavit has been submitted.

Kind Regards"

My question is, for those who have been in the same situation, how did you word the document that you got notarized? I have a draft already written but I want to make sure that it is worded correctly so that it is accepted by FBR.

Many thanks for this great resource.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:06 pm

MrWpbs wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:16 pm
Hi everyone
I have been following this thread closely as I submitted my documents in January of this year and they were received in February. I am in the position of being estranged from my Irish side of the family so although I was able to obtain birth certificates, I haven't been able to get copies of state issued identification. Last week the foreign birth register office emailed me to request these documents (despite putting a cover letter in explaining the situation). I have reiterated via email that I am not able to provide the status issued ID, however I am happy to send in a notarised affidavit. I have had the below response:

"You will need to submit the notarised affidavit with an explanation of the situation regarding being estranged from that side of the family. Your application will be reviewed by management when the notarised affidavit has been submitted.
Kind Regards"

My question is, for those who have been in the same situation, how did you word the document that you got notarized? I have a draft already written but I want to make sure that it is worded correctly so that it is accepted by FBR.
A frustrating position to be in I know. I had all birth marriage and death certificate for my Irish grandparent & birth/marriage for my estranged parent but no ID. My affidavit was as follows.

AFFIDAVIT OF PARENTAL ESTRANGEMENT

I am (me) of (address).
I am the son of (so & so) (born birth certificate name/date).
I have been irreconcilably estranged from my (parent) (so and so) and her family for a number of years. As a result, I am not able to get a copy of her Passport or Photo ID.

I understand that providing false or incomplete information is punishable by law. By signing below, I affirm that the information is true and complete to the best of my knowledge.

AFFIANT DATE
NOTARY PUBLIC DATE

MrWpbs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by MrWpbs » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:29 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:06 pm
MrWpbs wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:16 pm
Hi everyone

Kind Regards"

A frustrating position to be in I know. I had all birth marriage and death certificate for my Irish grandparent & birth/marriage for my estranged parent but no ID. My affidavit was as follows.

AFFIDAVIT OF PARENTAL ESTRANGEMENT

I am (me) of (address).
I am the son of (so & so) (born birth certificate name/date).
I have been irreconcilably estranged from my (parent) (so and so) and her family for a number of years. As a result, I am not able to get a copy of her Passport or Photo ID.

I understand that providing false or incomplete information is punishable by law. By signing below, I affirm that the information is true and complete to the best of my knowledge.

AFFIANT DATE
NOTARY PUBLIC DATE
Perfect, thankyou. We're you granted entry onto the FBR with it worded like that?

Sadly it is what it is. I knew this might be difficult as I am estranged from that side of the family. I'm just grateful that there is a workaround of sorts even if it isn't the most ideal situation.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:33 pm

MrWpbs wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:29 pm
Perfect, thankyou. We're you granted entry onto the FBR with it worded like that?

Sadly it is what it is. I knew this might be difficult as I am estranged from that side of the family. I'm just grateful that there is a workaround of sorts even if it isn't the most ideal situation.
Yes, within 3 days of them recieving the affidavit I was added to the FBR but they didnt email until about a month later when they were ready to send the certificate. The temptation with the affidavit is to add too much back story etc but being concise and to the point seems to work best.