ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to the UK

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

citi12
Newly Registered
Ireland

Travelling to the UK

Post by citi12 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:12 pm

Hello,

I would like some advice please. I am an EU citizen who has been living in Ireland for about a year. One day I hope to apply for Irish citizenship. I have read the rules about not leaving Ireland of a certain number of weeks in a year.

I had one query. I travelled to the UK via Ryan Air a few months ago. However, they did not scan my passport as I left Ireland or entered the UK. They did however look at my boarding pass and passport and handed it back. However, on my return flight, Irish immigration authorities scanned my passport on arrival into Ireland.

I just wanted to confirm if someone has experienced this? I would have liked it if they scanned my passport on departure from Ireland so that they have a record of when I left so they know exactly the days I was out of the country.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Travelling to the UK

Post by Vadrar » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:42 pm

citi12 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:12 pm
Hello,

I would like some advice please. I am an EU citizen who has been living in Ireland for about a year. One day I hope to apply for Irish citizenship. I have read the rules about not leaving Ireland of a certain number of weeks in a year.

I had one query. I travelled to the UK via Ryan Air a few months ago. However, they did not scan my passport as I left Ireland or entered the UK. They did however look at my boarding pass and passport and handed it back. However, on my return flight, Irish immigration authorities scanned my passport on arrival into Ireland.

I just wanted to confirm if someone has experienced this? I would have liked it if they scanned my passport on departure from Ireland so that they have a record of when I left so they know exactly the days I was out of the country.

Thank you.
You can have 70 days out of country in each 365 day period and still maintain a year’s worth of residency for naturalisation purposes. You need to keep your own record: the application asks you for your count so it can be compared to data the government uses. Many people just keep their boarding cards for easy tracking/proof. You don’t need to provide these with your application, but they are handy for the form and also if additional data is requested once you’ve submitted.

citi12
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by citi12 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:47 pm

Vadrar wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:42 pm
citi12 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:12 pm
Hello,

Thank you.
You can have 70 days out of country in each 365 day period and still maintain a year’s worth of residency for naturalisation purposes. You need to keep your own record: the application asks you for your count so it can be compared to data the government uses. Many people just keep their boarding cards for easy tracking/proof. You don’t need to provide these with your application, but they are handy for the form and also if additional data is requested once you’ve submitted.

Thank you once again again for the information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:17 pm

Ireland does not scan anyone’s passport when they fly away. The airlines are responsible for maintaining an accurate list of passengers who have boarded a plane and informing the government of the list.

citi12
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by citi12 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:02 pm

littlerr wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:17 pm
Ireland does not scan anyone’s passport when they fly away. The airlines are responsible for maintaining an accurate list of passengers who have boarded a plane and informing the government of the list.
Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate it. Thank you.