ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewing BRP - Proof of continuous residence

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Palmist

Traveling to Europe without a BRP

Post by Palmist » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:44 am

Hi All,

I am on ILR since 2014 and my BRP card expires in March 2024. I was planning on making a citizenship application but I have some travel planned in March to India and in May to Europe. I don't think I will be able to get my citizenship sorted in that timescale and was thinking of renewing my BRP but I understand that BRP is to be phased out in 2024.

Is there any other way I can travel to India and Europe (this will require a Schengen visa application) without a valid BRP card?

Thanks in advance for any advice

meself2
Ireland

Re: Traveling to Europe without a BRP

Post by meself2 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:47 am

We do not know if UKVI implements something before this date, but I would not bank on it.

Also, I doubt Schengen embassies will accept anything but a BRP as proof of status.

Why don't you apply for renewal now, as you need your BRP before it's officially discontinued (December 2024)?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:23 am

If you don't have a valid BRP is very likely you won't be allowed to board a plane on the way back to the UK.

Note that BRP cards will be still valid for the whole of 2024, they have validity until 31-12-2024 because the new electronic system will start in 2025. It doesn't matter you have ILR, it's required to travel back to the UK.

Palmist

Post by Palmist » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:43 pm

Thanks, that's what I understood as well, I will put in an application for extension.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:35 pm

Palmist wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:43 pm
Thanks, that's what I understood as well, I will put in an application for extension.
It will be a BRP replacement not an extension :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Palmist

Renewing BRP - Proof of continuous residence

Post by Palmist » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:26 am

Dear All,

I am in process of renewing my BRP which was issued in 2014 and expires in 2024, I am on ILR and need a valid card for travel later in the year.

In addition to passport and older passport, the guidance is asking for proof of continuous residence for last 10 years. I only have a handful of payslips, some P60s and some bills going that far back. Is this likely to be an issue seeing my travel details will be on passports anyway.

I have council tax bills for the last 5 years, it gets patchy after that.

Any guidance much appreciated.

regards,
Palmist

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Renewing BRP - Proof of continuous residence

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:39 am

Juat so you aware, a new brp will expire on 31 december 2024 when they are being phased out and a digital system is being introduced.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Palmist

Post by Palmist » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:53 am

CR001 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:39 am
Juat so you aware, a new brp will expire on 31 december 2024 when they are being phased out and a digital system is being introduced.
Thank you and yes I am aware, it is a bit unfortunate that I need to renew my card for the sake of few months but I have essential travel booked between March 2024 [when BRP card expires] and Dec 2024.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:57 am

Brp replacement applications can take up to six months. Manage your expectations.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.