ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Difficulty finding a suitable referee #1 for adult naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

Difficulty finding a suitable referee #1 for adult naturalisation

Post by jrs1984 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:49 pm

Hi All,

I completed my ILR on 10th Jan'23, so I am planning to apply for naturalisation soon on 11th Jan'24 (1 year anniversary of ILR).

Its sad that I have exhausted all avenues of finding a suitable referee for my application (referee #1 - professional), as the only people who I know are from IT background, and never dealt with other professionals over a wider period of time that I can use for my application (as per gov website).

People I do know, some of them are IT contractors that have their own company set up, who I know come some close to below list of professionals as on gov website -
    Director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT registered company
      Chairman or director of a limited company

Please may I get some advise what needs to be checked with these professionals to verify if any of them qualify for being my professional referee? Are they acceptable as a referee in general by UKVI?

Thanks.

contorted_svy
      Respected Guru
      Italy

Re: Difficulty finding a suitable referee #1 for adult naturalisation

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:54 pm

If they are directors of a VAT registered company they would qualify. Being a sole trader isn't the same thing, they have to have set up a VAT registered company be the director of it. That is the question you need to ask.

Note that an IT professional may qualify as engineer if they are member of a UK chartered body, so that is also worth asking your contacts.

Also remember that a professional referee doesn't necessarily have to know you professionally, it can be one of your friends that works in one of the listed professions.
      All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

jrs1984
      Mood:
      United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:58 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
      Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:54 pm
      If they are directors of a VAT registered company they would qualify. Being a sole trader isn't the same thing, they have to have set up a VAT registered company be the director of it. That is the question you need to ask.
      Thank you, I will check on this. May I know what you meant by the term "sole trader"?
      Note that an IT professional may qualify as engineer if they are member of a UK chartered body, so that is also worth asking your contacts. Thats a great direction, I will check but my gut says its less likely I will find any :(

Also remember that a professional referee doesn't necessarily have to know you professionally, it can be one of your friends that works in one of the listed professions. Understood, thank you. Unfortunately, my social circle is very very limited, I will keep this in mind though.

jrs1984
      Mood:
      United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:00 pm

I do understand what a sole trader is meant here, just googled for confirmation, thank you.

contorted_svy
      Respected Guru
      Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:02 pm

"Sole trader" is when you are a freelancer and you work for yourself. You can be a sole trader and register with VAT or not register with VAT (for example I am a sole trader, but not VAT registered). You can be a sole trader and operate within the law without setting up a VAT registered company, that's why I was emphasising that aspect.
      All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

jrs1984
      Mood:
      United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:57 pm

Thank you, and back with another related query -

I am filling the from online for my naturalisation. Am I correct to understand that in this case Referee 1 would be any adult British citizen; and Referee 2 would be the person with allowed professional standing? I remember it was other way round when I was filling the form for my child (MN1)

Can I also request that the referee declaration form template that I used for child's MN1 can be used for both of my referees as well; given at link below (pdf name mention MN1 though), or is there a different declaration form for adult's application?

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf

Finally, when I read this declaration form (at link above), it states - "For an adult application, one referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing ..... " ALSO "For all applications, the second referee must normally be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25" -> This is different as to how the online form is structured i.e. referee qualification is reversed.

I am sure I am overthinking as always, better safe than sorry though :)

contorted_svy
      Respected Guru
      Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:59 pm

The order of referees doesn't matter as faar as they respect the requirements, the form you linked is the correct one.

jrs1984
      Mood:
      United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:14 pm

Thank you so much for a prompt response.