ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Good Character question in ILR APP affecting Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SM01
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Good Character question in ILR APP affecting Naturalisation

Post by SM01 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:34 am

I am reaching out to seek your professional advice regarding my upcoming naturalization application. I have a bit of a complicated immigration history, and I want to address a specific concern.

In 2004, I entered the UK on a work permit for a one-year visa. However, I ended up overstaying until September 2015. I voluntarily left the UK at my own expense and returned in March 2017 on spouce visa and then later in 2022 received an ILR status. It is important to note that all my subsequent visa extension applications have mentioned my previous overstay, which I deeply regret.

During my time on the work permit, I diligently paid my taxes, including national insurance contributions. Even during the period of overstay, I worked for another company and continued to fulfill my tax obligations. I understand that my overstay was wrong, but i was working and paying my national insurance via NI number which was given for work permit visa .
I genuinely believed I was contributing to society by paying my taxes.

I am concerned about how this overstay might impact my naturalization application. I want to assure you that since my return in 2017, I have had no involvement in any illegal activities. I have maintained a clean record with no points on my license,no absences, or outstanding debts. The overstay incident occurred eight years ago when I went back to my home country to resolve my visa issues and subsequently returned to the UK on a spouse visa.

SM01
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Good Character question in ILR APP affecting Naturalisation

Post by SM01 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:38 am

If anyone can guide me. I have mentioned all above issue on my naturalisation application and written a cover letter with full explanation.

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:47 am

SM01 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:38 am
If anyone can guide me. I have mentioned all above issue on my naturalisation application and written a cover letter with full explanation.
Do you own thread SM01. It is not fair for the original poster.

SM01
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by SM01 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:55 am

I am sorry ,I am new to this process. I did't know how to start a new thread.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:45 am

Topics split.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:48 am

SM01 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:34 am
Even during the period of overstay, I worked for another company and continued to fulfill my tax obligations.
So you were working illegally? That complicates things.

Periods of overstay may be overlooked when applicant holds ILR already, but working illegally is different.

What's your visa history?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:09 am

SM01 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:34 am
I am reaching out to seek your professional advice regarding my upcoming naturalization application. I have a bit of a complicated immigration history, and I want to address a specific concern.

In 2004, I entered the UK on a work permit for a one-year visa. However, I ended up overstaying until September 2015. I voluntarily left the UK at my own expense and returned in March 2017 on spouce visa and then later in 2022 received an ILR status. It is important to note that all my subsequent visa extension applications have mentioned my previous overstay, which I deeply regret.

During my time on the work permit, I diligently paid my taxes, including national insurance contributions. Even during the period of overstay, I worked for another company and continued to fulfill my tax obligations. I understand that my overstay was wrong, but i was working and paying my national insurance via NI number which was given for work permit visa .
I genuinely believed I was contributing to society by paying my taxes.

I am concerned about how this overstay might impact my naturalization application. I want to assure you that since my return in 2017, I have had no involvement in any illegal activities. I have maintained a clean record with no points on my license,no absences, or outstanding debts. The overstay incident occurred eight years ago when I went back to my home country to resolve my visa issues and subsequently returned to the UK on a spouse visa.

Review page 48 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... racter.pdf

To align with changes to the qualifying period, immigration breaches relating to
lawful residence may be disregarded when assessing good character during the 10-
year period prior to the application where all of the following factors apply:
• the person is applying for naturalisation as a British citizen, or registration as a
British citizen under s.4(2), 6(1) or 6(2) of the BNA 1981 after 28 June 2022
• that person holds indefinite leave to enter or remain (ILE or ILR, also known as
settlement) in the UK
• no concerns (for example, regarding the person’s character) have arisen since the
grant of settlement which might cast doubt on the decision

Therefore, applications where it remains appropriate to consider immigration
breaches relating to lawful residence, alongside other good character factors, may
include but are not limited to:
• where historic information has come to light which, had it been known at the time
of granting settlement, may have led to refusal
• where something occurred after the grant of settlement to indicate revocation of
that status may be appropriate
• applications to naturalise as a British overseas territory citizen
• Immigration breaches that do not relate to lawful residence (for example working in
breach of conditions, hiring illegal workers, or failure to observe reporting
requirements) must still be considered.
You didn't simply overstay, you also worked illegally, so I would wait to apply until the 10 years have elapsed from when you left the UK. The fact you were paying taxes won't help you, as you were working without a valid visa. May be appropriate to consult an immigration solicitor and include in your cover letter evidence that shows your character has changed (eg you volunteer in the community).
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.