ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch to Skilled Worker visa from Student Dependet

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mfooty7
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Switch to Skilled Worker visa from Student Dependet

Post by mfooty7 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:12 pm

Im currently on Student dependet visa and my wife on Student visa. Her course end date is 18th of January 2024.

If I get my CoS now, can we lodge the application together before the IHS free inceases ?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Switch to Skilled Worker visa from Student Dependet

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:35 pm

Yes you can, you are the main applicant on skilled worker visa and your wife becomes your dependent.

mfooty7
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Post by mfooty7 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:29 pm

But the rules says student cannot change until they complete their studies.

So can we lodge the application together ? Is it okay if lodge the application together even though her (wife’s) course end date is not completed ?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:25 am

mfooty7 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:29 pm
But the rules says student cannot change to skilled worker visa until they complete their studies.

So can we lodge the application together ? Is it okay if lodge the application together even though her (wife’s) course end date is not completed ?

mfooty7
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Post by mfooty7 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:39 am

I have been told that, if my wife also lodge the application with me (to be skilled worker dependent) prior to her course end date, her's would be rejected as her course end date is not completed.

I thought we can lodge the applications 3 months prior.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:52 pm

That is what it says. Your spouse can only switch once they complete their course.

https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/ ... d-children
If your partner or child is currently in the UK on a Student visa, they can only switch if they have either:

completed the course they were sponsored to study
studied for a PhD for at least 24 months
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:59 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:35 pm
Yes you can, you are the main applicant on skilled worker visa and your wife becomes your dependent.
Please check the ukvi website before advising. Some changes occurred earlier this year.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:06 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:59 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:35 pm
Please check the ukvi website before advising. Some changes occurred earlier this year.
Thank you CR001 for correcting the misinterpretation.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:54 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:52 pm
That is what it says. Your spouse can only switch once they complete their course.
Just to spell it out for clarity, this does not stop OP himself switching from Student dependant to Skilled worker whenever he wishes. It just means that OP's spouse needs to stay on their Student visa for now, and she can switch to being his Skilled worker dependant after she has finished her course.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Jonny_Carol
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Jonny_Carol » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:16 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:54 am
CR001 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:52 pm
Just to spell it out for clarity, this does not stop OP himself switching from Student dependant to Skilled worker whenever he wishes. It just means that OP's spouse needs to stay on their Student visa for now, and she can switch to being his Skilled worker dependant after she has finished her course.
Hi @CR001,

Thanks for your leadership here. If the above submission is correct, does that mean that, a dependant of a student, from Autumn '23 or prior, who has a valid CoS can switch from being a dependant of a Student to a Skilled Worker visa, e.g, Health and Care Worker Visa or any Tier 2, in the UK without having to go to their home country to apply?

Your response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:10 am

Jonny_Carol wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:16 pm
does that mean that, a dependant of a student, from Autumn '23 or prior, who has a valid CoS can switch from being a dependant of a Student to a Skilled Worker visa, e.g, Health and Care Worker Visa or any Tier 2, in the UK without having to go to their home country to apply?
This has always been the case. The application portal itself lists the very few types of people who cannot switch in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/ ... -this-visa > Who cannot apply to switch to this visa
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.