ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Paddystarni » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:14 pm

Received address confirmation today!! Email was for both children ..

Your application for entry into the Foreign Births Register will be approved shortly and a Foreign Birth Registration Certificate and your original documents will be returned to you by registered post, which will require a signature on delivery.

And that if I’ve moved, send in a scan of proof of address.

So happy!

FBR Timeline

Application submitted: 03/09/22
Documents sent: 23/02/23
Application received: 20/03/23
Address confirmation: 9/12/23

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Paddystarni » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:49 pm

AussieBiscuithead wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:28 am
bm42 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:51 pm
I'm getting a bit worried about my wait times at the moment

Application submitted: 16/12/2020
Documents received: 04/02/2022 (COVID related problems with getting a solicitor to look at the documents, sent them a week before this date)
Clarification Email: 20/02/2023 (Missing document, replacement sent a week later)
Address confirmation: 08/05/2023
Email from Embassy: 10/05/2023 (I emailed 2 weeks prior enquiring if my documents arrived as I couldn't send them tracked, Email mentioned the address confirmation)
Email Congratulations: [Not yet]

Should I just keep waiting or should I get in touch again?
Thanks for sharing your time line.

I had the clarification email in late Feb asking for additional documents, which I sent in mid-march with tracking, I know they received the document in late March. Interesting you didn't get a confirmation about receiving the updated documents, I emailed the urgent requests inbox to find out if ill receive a conformation email, they replied saying there is a 3-4 month delay to process additional documents. Based on your dates, it took 3 months for them to process the documents and send address confirmation.

I might actually hear something next month, which would be nice.

Best,
AussieBiscuithead

Around the time you sent your additional documents, I had sent my entire application and I remember the cyber attack!! It was so so nerve wracking sending around that time wasn’t it! I did manage to send it tracked though. But sending it to a PO Box made me nervous.

broldin
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by broldin » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:02 am

Hello,

Thanks for any help. I qualify for Irish citizenship through my grandmother on my father's side. (born in Ireland)

Do I need my father's marriage certificate? I obtained my grandmother's but I'm wondering if I need his as well. I ask because on the website, it reads:

"Original civil marriage certificate of Irish citizen parent (if applicable) OR other change of name document (if applicable)"

So I'm wondering if this is only applicable in the case that you qualify on your mother's side, assuming her name has changed.

Thanks for any assistance!

lalleshwari
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lalleshwari » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:44 pm

Hello all,

My partner is preparing to apply for Irish citizenship through FBR as his grandfather is Irish.
Have a couple of Qs:
Both his paternal grandparents were born in Ireland however he is applying through his grandfather, does he still need to supply marriage certificates for his grandparents and his parents?

Second, we have a 2 year old - am I correct in thinking she is not entitled to Irish citizenship at all? What about after my partner is successfully registered as a foreign birth?

Thanks a million

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:52 pm

lalleshwari wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:44 pm
Both his paternal grandparents were born in Ireland however he is applying through his grandfather, does he still need to supply marriage certificates for his grandparents and his parents?
The more documents you provide, the better, as far as I've heard. FBR folks can give better advice.
lalleshwari wrote:
am I correct in thinking she is not entitled to Irish citizenship at all?
Yep. Parent had to be on FBR before the child was born, since grandfather is the furthest you can go and for the child it'll be a great grandfather, so can't claim.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:17 pm

@lalleshwari and poster before them (sorry, can’t scroll to see username) - you need to supply all marriage certs for all generations if married, irrespective of name
change or not. Your application becomes a reference doc for applications by children after registration or siblings or cousins: they’ll be compared to yours to cross check matching data to prevent fraud (and yours is compared to any family applications made before you.). If not married include affidavit to that effect.

If you don’t supply marriage certs you’ll be asked for them and it tends to delay processing time by 6 months to a year. Missing marriage certs is the most common reason for delays - just scroll back through this thread.

Frances#7
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Frances#7 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:42 pm

Vadrar wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:47 pm
Frances#7 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:05 pm
Hi folks,

I'm really struggling to make a direct connection with my Irish grandfather and wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation. He didn't sign his children's birth certificates, was not married to my grandmother who died shortly after my mother was born, and my mother was taken into care and adopted as an infant, so it's very difficult to make a direct link.

My mum was given his surname at birth, and a solicitor suggested trying to add my grandfather to my mum's birth certificate, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing that even if it's possible. And it would surely come back to the same question of how to prove my grandfather was my mum's father through official documentation.

Has anyone successfully demonstrated the link through care documents or other non-official documentation? I've been unsuccessful getting a reply from the local authority but it's probably my last hope.
I can’t comment on care or adoption documents, I’ll leave that to those better qualified.

But re other routes: when you say he didn’t sign his children’s birth certs, is he listed as the father at all? Does his death(assuming he has passed) list his children? Do your mother’s care or adoption documents list him? Does your mother have him named on her marriage or death cert if either is applicable? Does your mother have a baptismal record listing her father?

These routes are less effective but can be supportive: Did he leave a will and list his children?
Can you find him on census records listing his children?

We are getting some traction on association applications with a missing father on birth cert through the routes above. Association isn’t FBR, but they share similar documentation requirements.
So many suggestions, thank you. Admittedly the answer is no to most of these: the field for the father's name on my mother's birth cert is blank. His death certificate does list one of my mum's siblings as the informant, but unfortunately the sibling also cited the wrong county of his birth in Ireland, which rather makes things worse. My mother's adoption documents only lists her mother, my mother was not baptised and he is not listed on any of my mother's documents (apart from his surname, which she was given). I have been trying to access care records for several years but the authority claims to have 'lost the record' after initially informing me there was one, and now refuses to engage with me. Census records might be an idea if I can find one for the couple of years that my mother lived with her biological family, though the solicitors are still pushing the route of taking out a court order to add my grandfather's name to the birth certificate (as if you can just do this without evidence!). Anyway, thank you so much for the suggestions!

turpentine
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by turpentine » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:31 am

turpentine wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:42 am

I used the family dentist since the GPs don't do it here any more and has went smoothly so far. Just asked for the required stuff and they helped out. I put a business card in as well as their stamp for good measure.

Docs rec'd - March 20
Address Check - Nov 1st
Update: Approved - Dec 11th

Don't have any data in the Google doc yet, but yay!

lalleshwari
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lalleshwari » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:14 am

Vadrar wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:17 pm
@lalleshwari and poster before them (sorry, can’t scroll to see username) - you need to supply all marriage certs for all generations if married, irrespective of name
change or not. Your application becomes a reference doc for applications by children after registration or siblings or cousins: they’ll be compared to yours to cross check matching data to prevent fraud (and yours is compared to any family applications made before you.). If not married include affidavit to that effect.

If you don’t supply marriage certs you’ll be asked for them and it tends to delay processing time by 6 months to a year. Missing marriage certs is the most common reason for delays - just scroll back through this thread.
Many thanks for the info.
My partner's Dad died in 2018 but he had been divorced from my partner's mum prior to his death, do I have to supply the divorce decree in this instance? That will be tricky as his mum is not good with keeping track of her paperwork or supplying it to us (we've had to order everything like his birth cert afresh)

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:47 am

lalleshwari wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:14 am
Vadrar wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:17 pm

Many thanks for the info.
My partner's Dad died in 2018 but he had been divorced from my partner's mum prior to his death, do I have to supply the divorce decree in this instance? That will be tricky as his mum is not good with keeping track of her paperwork or supplying it to us (we've had to order everything like his birth cert afresh)
They seem less concerned about divorce certs. If you can’t access it yourself I’d be tempted to submit without and forget about it unless they ask for it.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:04 pm

In regards to marriage certificates. This is the line for parents from DFA website:

Original civil marriage certificate of Irish citizen parent (if applicable) OR other change of name document (if applicable)

Clearly it states they want the parents marriage. If applicable just means if they were married. If they weren't then there is no certificate and, therefore, it is not applicable.

. They add the OR part if one person legally changed names and there is government issued paperwork. Such paperwork would include parents names and reason for name change..

I know from previous comments people who didn't include marriage certificates later received requests for them. This means a delay in processing as well.

As for divorce papers.....they do not ask for them. If you have them I would include them. They may ask later if clarification needed. Example: death cert. name is different from marriage certificate
Not a divorce but my mother was a widow and remarried. I sent original marriage cert. but just a photocopy copy of the index of her second marriage. Her death cert had last name from 2nd husband. So it helped avoid confusion by adding the index photocopy & a notarized letter stating facts of 2nd marriage.

Remember, more is better.

Just my two cents worth

Jgclancy

P.S. -As with all paperwork NOTARIZE anything you can. Include notarized statements about any things that could be confusing.

lalleshwari
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lalleshwari » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:33 am

jgclancy wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:04 pm
In regards to marriage certificates. This is the line for parents from DFA website:

Original civil marriage certificate of Irish citizen parent (if applicable) OR other change of name document (if applicable)

Clearly it states they want the parents marriage. If applicable just means if they were married. If they weren't then there is no certificate and, therefore, it is not applicable.

. They add the OR part if one person legally changed names and there is government issued paperwork. Such paperwork would include parents names and reason for name change..

I know from previous comments people who didn't include marriage certificates later received requests for them. This means a delay in processing as well.

As for divorce papers.....they do not ask for them. If you have them I would include them. They may ask later if clarification needed. Example: death cert. name is different from marriage certificate
Not a divorce but my mother was a widow and remarried. I sent original marriage cert. but just a photocopy copy of the index of her second marriage. Her death cert had last name from 2nd husband. So it helped avoid confusion by adding the index photocopy & a notarized letter stating facts of 2nd marriage.

Remember, more is better.

Just my two cents worth

Jgclancy

P.S. -As with all paperwork NOTARIZE anything you can. Include notarized statements about any things that could be confusing.
No name changes, as it's through his Dad. But for completeness/peace of mind will try to get ahold of it. Thank you!

TTYW
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by TTYW » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:03 pm

Hi everyone. I just got my congrats email so thought I’d add my timescales which will hopefully help someone.

Application submitted online - 31/08/2022
Documents sent: 23/09/22
Documents received: 03/10/22
Additional documents request: 15/07/23
Additional documents sent: 18/09/23
Address check: 22/11/23
Address confirmation sent via email: 25/11/23
Congratulations email: 13/12/23

Thanks to you all for your advice and help on this forum. Now I’m just waiting for the certificate and then passport application time. Does anyone have a good resource for passport applications and information on whether we can apply with photocopies confirmed by our witness of our current passports instead of sending the originals?

NB. the additional documents were a divorce certificate from my grandparents first marriage through which I claim descent (they later remarried).

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:21 pm

TTYW wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:03 pm
Hi everyone. I just got my congrats email so thought I’d add my timescales which will hopefully help someone.

Thanks to you all for your advice and help on this forum. Now I’m just waiting for the certificate and then passport application time. Does anyone have a good resource for passport applications and information on whether we can apply with photocopies confirmed by our witness of our current passports instead of sending the originals?

NB. the additional documents were a divorce certificate from my grandparents first marriage through which I claim descent (they later remarried).
For Irish passport you can send a photocopy of current passport as ID. Just add a declarative statement and make sure it is notarized.

Jgclancy

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Paddystarni » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:22 am

Can we send notarised copies of the FBR certs?

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Paddystarni » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:25 am

turpentine wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:31 am
turpentine wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:42 am

I used the family dentist since the GPs don't do it here any more and has went smoothly so far. Just asked for the required stuff and they helped out. I put a business card in as well as their stamp for good measure.

Docs rec'd - March 20
Address Check - Nov 1st
What’s the google doc?

Update: Approved - Dec 11th

Don't have any data in the Google doc yet, but yay!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:32 pm

Paddystarni wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:22 am
Can we send notarised copies of the FBR certs?
No. You must send the actual certificate.Always make a good copy For yourself before you send it too.
Jgclanvy

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Paddystarni » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:48 am

Well I’ve received a perfunctory email today saying my children’s certificates are being printed but no “congratulations”.. slightly saddened by the lack of celebration but i’m over the moon. Things seem to be speeding up now so good luck to all, hope you hear something back soon

FBR Timeline

Address confirmed 14/12/23
Confirmation certificates are being printed 15/12/23

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:32 pm

Paddystarni wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:48 am
Well I’ve received a perfunctory email today saying my children’s certificates are being printed but no “congratulations”.. slightly saddened by the lack of celebration but i’m over the moon. Things seem to be speeding up now so good luck to all, hope you hear something back soon

FBR Timeline

Address confirmed 14/12/23
Confirmation certificates are being printed 15/12/23
CONGRATS!

TTYW
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by TTYW » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:13 pm

TTYW wrote:

As an update to this, my certificate arrived today 18/12/23. Thanks to everyone for the help and if anyone can post a link to a good resource for full details of how to apply for a passport I would appreciate it.

MeganN
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by MeganN » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:54 pm

Greetings All,

I am new to this page and have found it a life-saver in this sea of anxiety that is immigration.

I wanted to find out what the general response time is between getting a confirmation email after you have received an address check. Here is my timeline:

31/12/2022: Submitted online application
05/04/2023: Documents received email (it took me some time to submit originals hence the delay)
01/12/2023: Address check email received

From what I can tell some people get their confirmation of address email fairly quickly after the address check. I sent a response with my updated address proof on the 02/12/2023, but have not heard anything since. The wait (as you all know) is awful. Just wondering if this is normal given that it is the holiday season?

Thanks,

Megan

RockyS98
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by RockyS98 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:13 pm

Hi All,

Like MeganN, this forum has been super helpful during my journey to becoming Irish!

I submitted my application in February 2023 and received confirmation of documents in March 2023.

I had an address check confirmation on 9th November 2023 and replied the same day to confirm.

I’d been waiting ever since for further confirmation and by this forum’s timescales, felt things were taking longer than usual.

I today called dfa citizenship services directly and they confirmed I had been approved on 3rd December 2023!
I’m pleased to say I’m now Irish!!
Documents have been sent out but there’s a delay due to Christmas so expect to receive them in 3-4 weeks, I was also given my tracking number during this phone call.

So if you, like me, have been waiting for a while to receive confirmation of being approved, then give them a call! I called them on +353 1568 3331

Hope everyone has a lovely Christmas!

adlarson
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by adlarson » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:15 pm

Anyone know how Christmas/new year impacts FBR applications? I assume 1/2 the staff is on holiday this week and then everyone is out of the office (is it actually closed?) the 2 weeks afterwards?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:17 pm

TTYW wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:13 pm
TTYW wrote:

As an update to this, my certificate arrived today 18/12/23. Thanks to everyone for the help and if anyone can post a link to a good resource for full details of how to apply for a passport I would appreciate it.
Just follow the rules at DFA.ie easier than FBR stuff
The photo you send is digital so follow the size parameters. Get that ready before applying. They will reject it when its not correct.
You can send a notarized copy with statement for the passport. Never like sending my passport in the mail.
The tracking system is better for passport than the FBR which is non-existent really.
Best f luck & Congrats!
Jgclancy

Paddystarni
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Paddystarni » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:41 pm

meself2 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:52 pm
lalleshwari wrote:
The more documents you provide, the better, as far as I've heard. FBR folks can give better advice.
lalleshwari wrote:
am I correct in thinking she is not entitled to Irish citizenship at all?
Yep. Parent had to be on FBR before the child was born, since grandfather is the furthest you can go and for the child it'll be a great grandfather, so can't claim.

So now that my children are on the FBR, does that mean their future children will be eligible?